Alcohol and the Words of Wisdom

The text of Section 89:

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion--

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days--

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation--

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

Here GOD states that strong drink or wine is not good, but the use of wine during sacrament meetings is good.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man--

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground--

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

Here it says it is good for man to drink mild drinks made of barley which is beer with low alcohol content.

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen

Since we are not allowed to drink any alcohol, I am wondering where this prohibition came from? I have been told the ban on alcohol for LDS came during the time of prohibition of the 1920s. Is this correct or is there something I am not understanding correctly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most saints, I think, miss the main point of the Word of Wisdom. It is, secondarily, a health code. Primarily, verse 3, it is a bottom line entrance requirement. In the missionary discussions, if the investigator can't commit to the Word of Wisdom, the discussions come to a screeching halt. (Or should.) If we can't commit to the small sacrifices of the Word of Wisdom, such greater sacrifices as time, tithing, service and the like, let alone consecration, will be impossible. Another facet: it's a great missionary tool. When you're dining in public, such as at a business banquet, or whatever, and you take your coffee cup and turn it upside down on its saucer, everyone knows you're L.D.S. Let your light shine. Believers in every dispensation have been asked to do something that will make them stand out: circumcision with Abraham, (I don't even want to think about how that made them stand out), the law of Moses, Sunday instead of Saturday worship with the New Testament church, and now, with us, the Word of Wisdom. Those who get hung up on the health aspects of it, worthy though they may be, are running the risk of straining at gnats and swallowing a camel.

Beside on what was said, think about your mortal body. Now think about the term I AM. Can you tell me, when looking in the mirror, sir 'I AM' [meaning you], where do you think your true location within that body? In the spirit body?

Now think about other intelligences that surround you in keeping this body functional everyday. Don't they listen to you when you instruct them to move the leg, move the arm, speak, think, breath, and so forth? Now, thats you; as the greater intelligence and their GOD per say, why would you abuse your body in any form or fashion; even be inlfuenced by any form of drugs?

I am not a member and I was brought up in a family where a drink or two is really no big deal and often times we would have wine with dinner. I think I've only really been "drunk" once and that was enough to convince me not to do it again.

Since moving to Utah and marrying a Mormon woman I have given up drinking out of respect to her beliefs, not that it's a big deal to me since I only really drank socially and here in Utah there is not much social drinking (go figure).

I had always heard that alcohol was strictly prohibited by the Word of Wisdom, but I've now heard a couple people challenge this claiming that it is only hard liquor that is prohibited and I'm curious if there is any specific doctrine regarding this or if the "no alcohol period" rule is an unsupported personal interpretation of doctrine, like not eating chocolate because of caffeine content.

I ask this because no one here has pointed to any scripture or doctrine that disputes the quote in the original post from the Word of Wisdom appearing to say that beer is okay to drink.

In the Word of Wisdom, the Lord revealed that the following substances are harmful:

* Alcoholic drinks (see D&C 89:5–7).

* Tobacco (see D&C 89:8).

* Tea and coffee (see D&C 89:9; latter-day prophets have taught that the term "hot drinks," as written in this verse, refers to tea and coffee).

When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom. Illegal drugs can especially destroy those who use them. The abuse of prescription drugs is also destructive spiritually and physically.

Just about every prophet has spoken out against alcohol in obeying the Word of Wisdom.

President Joseph F. Smith taught that the Word of Wisdom was more than a prohibition against tea, coffee, tobacco, and alcohol; it contained practical counsel for good health and spiritual growth, and those Saints who obeyed it would draw nearer to the Lord and become more like Him.

We are to abstain from alchohol, period. The Lord did not specify certain types nor has He told us that any are ok. I don't drink any alcohol and I personally don't drink "near bear" or "alcohol free" beer because for me it is avoiding the appearance of evil.

Just about every prophet has spoken out against alcohol in obeying the Word of Wisdom.

We are to abstain from alchohol, period. The Lord did not specify certain types nor has He told us that any are ok. I don't drink any alcohol and I personally don't drink "near bear" or "alcohol free" beer because for me it is avoiding the appearance of evil.

great words, We are to avoid even the appearance of Evil, Why does one have to drink neer beer anyways? why? what is the point?

Drinking any kind of alchohol at any time or any amount is not good for your body and the Lord has prohbited it.

The lord said in D&C that it doesn't matter what is used for the sacrament because what truely matters is the symbolism. and then stated further that we were to cease to use wine.

The most important thing about the Word of Wisdom is the principle involved.

That is, the body is a temple. And as such no unclean thing should enter into it nor be written upon the walls thereof. Now we as children of God, know that it should also be filled with good things. Not to demean the "real" temples, but they are worthless if they are not used. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is almost of no worth, IF not accepted individually. So, we must fill our temples with good and righteous things to make it of benefit and to preserve it.

So the word of wisdom outlines a few things. BUT NOT ALL. For instance, Arsenic is not mentioned but will put irreparable loss of feeling to your body.:D

I have a problem with the Church saying no to tea as well. Tea has stuff in it that is great for the body and helps keep you healthy.

Reform of the WoW is needed. Perhaps President Monson should inquire of the Lord about clarifying the WoW so we will know for sure what to drink and not drink or use and not use.

Heck I miss my tobacco.

WoW says no right? So if I drink a beer I'm condemned right? No TR for me I'm afraid...

What you should do and what you have a right to do are separate creatures. The Word of Wisdom tells us what we should do. Your "rights" to drink whatever you wish to drink are inalienable. Meaning, God has specifically endowed you with a right to drink beer (or any substance for that matter). The Word of Wisdom does not take that right away. As a matter of fact, no commandment ever takes any agency away. Any commandment is simply directing us to what we ought to do if we desire peace and happiness and then warns us of the consequences for disobedience (anxiety and misery). But, having a right to choose between any given number of choices, does not mean we have the right to choose the consequences of our choices. Natural laws do not allow it and neither do Spiritual laws.

Regards,

Finrock

Hey - the Lord Jesus drank wine. There was alcohol in the wine. If there wasn't alcohol in the wine it would have been called grape juice.

Therefore what right does the Church have to deny my drinking of a beer?

Their interpretation of wine at the time of Christ could have been grape juice. Wine is fermented grape juice, right? They probably did not distinguish between fermented and non fermented.

Besides this is modern revelation. The Priesthood for instance was not given to blacks so they could not receive the fullness of the Gospel. Yet Jesus commanded us to spread the Gospel to everyone. But how could that be done when they couldn't participate in the blessings of Priesthood?

The fact remains. They had alcohol so we should be able to have it.

As far as the priesthood goes:

I believe regardless of what they say the priesthood was not given to the blacks due to racist reasons. Does it not strike you funny that the blacks were left out until is was not "PC" to leave them out any longer?

Question everything...

(This reply was just my opinion. Thanks.)

The fact remains. They had alcohol so we should be able to have it.

Assuming that what you claim is indeed a fact: Are there any exceptions to this line of reasoning? Meaning, for instance, if they had the plague, should we also be able to have that as well?

(Priesthood part deliberately ignored so as to keep on topic)

Question everything...

What does your statement mean and how does it relate to the topic?

Regards,

Finrock

We are experiencing plagues throughout the world in case you had not noticed.

So, you are saying that this is something we should be able to have since they had it in the past? Do you think that there are any limits to what we should be able to have that has been had in the past?

Question everything means just that. Don't take what you read, hear or see for face value. Dig deeper. Question everything about it. The truth is there somewhere.

How far should we take this advice? Should I question whether the letter Q really is a Q? I mean, Q falls in to the category of "everything", right? I'm assuming then that you are saying that because we should question everything, we should question the Word of Wisdom. Is that correct? Should I question your line of reasoning and conclusions too?

Regards,

Finrock