Do you think that God once was a man?

Mullenite

He can be none of those things if ever he was not GOD.

GOD has always been GOD. He is not an exalted man. He is GOD. He didn't become GOD.

All things exist because of him. He doesn't exist because of something...He is the first cause....being eternally so....

The scriptures absolutely refute any idea of an anthropomorphic "God"....

Whoa…now that is spooky to see members in the church to claim such absurdity dealing with the character of GOD. It seems that either there is ignorance at play or just playing amalgamation arrogance of the Jackals.

Either we believe that Prophets are called as prophets by the Savior or perhaps we need to revisit our own testimony and see which foundation it resides on.

It was not President Snow that originated this principle of the character of GOD but Joseph Smith for this latter day restoration of the gospel. Now 'open your eyes' to see what Joseph Smith said,

God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible,-I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form-like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instructions from, and walked, talked and conversed with him, as one man talks and communes with another. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-346.)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa…now that is spooky to see members in the church to claim such absurdity dealing with the character of GOD. It seems that either there is ignorance at play or just playing amalgamation arrogance of the Jackals.

Either we believe that Prophets are called as prophets by the Savior or perhaps we need to revisit our own testimony and see which foundation it resides on.

It was not President Snow that originated this principle of the character of GOD but Joseph Smith for this latter day restoration of the gospel. Now 'open your eyes' to see what Joseph Smith said,

I think his point is that anything that implies that Heavenly Father, or even Jesus Christ, for that matter was at some point not God, is not in harmony with scripture.

I personally think people have read too far into the statements of Joseph Smith and others, and have jumped to conclusions that the prophets were not making. Any talk about Father's father, and so forth is premature, for example. The scriptures do not even come close to confirming anything like that.

To JohnBirchSociety,

At the same time, it's not such a strange thought considering Jesus Christ himself is God, and was born into mortality. He never ceased to be God during that time, and was ever God before that time, and will be forever and ever the Only Begotten of the Father.

What it actually means concerning the Father will have to wait until we have received further light and knowledge on the matter. It's difficult for us to grasp infinite and eternal things while yet in mortality. But it is a fact that the Father has a glorified body of flesh and bone... (D&C 130:22)

Regards,

Vanhin

Remember, if this is an issue for you, you will need to research it out, ponder it, and ask with sincere and humble prayer. The Holy Spirit will make it known by confirmation.

As I said before, if the church had all the writings of those inspired by GOD since Adam, we cannot even fathom the time it would take us to read it all, let alone to comprehend the spiritual contents.

However, you need to change word 'we' to 'me'. None of the Prophets [inc past], Apostles would agree to your last statement. That does include GA's already received personal information; not to forget others, leadership & members, whom seek the same would not agree. If you feel this is not correct, then make communication with your local Area General Authority for further instruction.

The further light was received and simple put forth. Whether 'we' accept or not, is still your agency of choosing such.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 10:33-36 records part of an exchange between Jesus and some Jewish scribes in which the Savior cited man's potential for Godhood in order to refute

the change that He had committed blasphemy by claiming to be the Son of God. In refuting the scribes, Jesus quoted Psalm 82:6; where Elohim says, "I have said, Ye are gods; and of you are children of the Most High." There is a great of debate about the precise meaning of this Psalm in the Old Testament

context. An analysis of that debate is beyond the scope of the present discussion. The most important thing about this verse is that Jesus interpreted

it to mean that mankind had the potential for deification.

Some commentators disagree and suggest Christ was quoting Psalm 86:6; sarcastically so as to mock and condemn the Jews who were challenging him.

Among other things, advocates of this position point to the Savior's use of the word "called" and maintain that therefore Jesus was not teaching that man could actually be defiled. However, such an interpretation dose not fit

the context of Christ's usage of the Psalm, and it takes the logical force out of his argument. John 10:33-36 reads as follows in the RSV:

The Jews answered him, :It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, yourself God."

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'?

If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken), do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, I am the Son of God?""

If we say that Psalms 82:6 was quoted merely to condemn the Jewish scribes, then the Savior's argument is deprived of any logical force. If Christ was not citing Psalm 82:6 to appeal to man's potential for divinization, then

the scribes could very well have replied as follows:

How does this Psalm help your case? If you're saying this verse does not mean we can become gods, and if you are only quoting it to label us as such in order to condemn us, than how does this Psalm mitigate your claim to be the Messianic Son of God, I.e., Jehovah come to earth? What difference does it make if men are merely called "god" and "son of the Most High," when you claim to be Yahweh himself (John 8:58)? Who cares what men are called, when you assert that the Father has placed "allthings" in your hands, thatyou are the key to eternal life, and that no one can come unto the Father except through you (John 3:35-36; 5:18-47; 8:13-42)?

The plain sense of the Savior's reply to the Jews is that He was appealing to man's potential for Godhood to demonstrate the inconsistency of the charge that had committed

blasphemy by claiming to be the Son of God. In other words, Christ was saying to his detractors, "Why do you accuse me of blasphemy for claiming to be the Son of God when all men

are children of the Most High and have the potential to become like him?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Mullenite : 04-17-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: word

Remember, if this is an issue for you, you will need to research it out, ponder it, and ask with sincere and humble prayer. The Holy Spirit will make it known by confirmation

As I said before, if the church had all the writings of those inspired by GOD since Adam, we cannot even fathom the time it would take us to read it all, let alone to comprehend the spiritual contents.

However, you need to change word 'we' to 'me'. None of the Prophets [inc past], Apostles would agree to your last statement. That does include GA's already received personal information; not to forget others, leadership & members, whom seek the same would not agree. If you feel this is not correct, then make communication with your local Area General Authority for further instruction.

The further light was received and simple put forth. Whether 'we' accept or not, is still your agency of choosing such.

Incredible...

The Holy Ghost has confirmed to me, and the scriptures confirm it. God the Father is the Supreme Ruler of the universe and there is no other God before him; and Jesus Christ is His Only Begotten. They are the Eternal Father of heaven and earth. They are from everlasting to everlasting.

I believe without equivocation or reservation in God the Eternal Father. He is my Father, the Father of my spirit, and the Father of the spirits of all men. He is the great Creator, the Ruler of the universe. He directed the Creation of this earth on which we live. In His image man was created. He is personal. He is real. He is individual. He has “a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D&C 130:22). (Gordon B. Hinckley, In These Three I believe)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Possible reading comprehension issue here Vanhin or I am guessing you seeking to contend this issue.

At this point, you posted information that is aready been agreed upon and not what we are discussing at hand. Yes! Spiritual elements and intelligence is eternal. What is being present by a member, that includes you, that there is no one prior to GOD. That is not the case.

<SPECULATION>

I believe that God was once just like us.

I believe that we can become just like God.

I believe this pattern goes back through an eternity of time, such that there is no known beginning or end to this pattern.

</SPECULATION>

However, in this event, there is no speculation unless one is denying both prophets {Smith & Snow]. This really bothers me to see this inside the church walls.

What bothers you?

Here are some more scriptures regarding this topic..

"For I am the Lord, I change not." Mal. 3:6

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man,...who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever." Rom. 1:22-25

"I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee." Hos. 11:9

To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?...for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me." Isa. 46:5 & 9

Joseph Smith was wrong on this point. It is very telling that no such statements occur anywhere in the standard works.

Which church?

relevance?

I attended a fellowship church (multi-denominational) growing up, and have recently began attending a Baptist Church in the city I moved in.

My Church of choice does not define me - my beliefs in the Bible and God's word define me - I hope you can accept that.

Shell, nice to see you quoting scriptures. However, I brought this subject up before. Quoting and then knowing what the author thoughts being conveyed is never the same for some.

Please don't tell me that you are professing that God meant something else with the words " I am God and Not Man"

relevance?

I attended a fellowship church (multi-denominational) growing up, and have recently began attending a Baptist Church in the city I moved in.

My Church of choice does not define me - my beliefs in the Bible and God's word define me - I hope you can accept that.

It does if you are becoming learneth individual within that domination. It helps to see what and why on your responses. :D