Getting Patriatical blessing

staytrue2faith

I just made an appointment with my bishop yesterday so I can get my patriartical (patriarchal)blessing so any advice would be helpful. :) (sorry about spelling error I meant to say Patriartical (Patriarchal))

If the Bishop gives you any scriptures to read prior to going, read, ponder, AND really study them. If he doesn't, then look up patriarchal blessing in the bible dictionary and/or topical guide and the Ensign on-line and study up on it yourself.

Fast before you call the Patriarch to make your appointment. Fast before you go to your appointment. If you are the passenger, then read those scriptures again.

Dress in your Sunday best, take your Sunday best attitude and be prepared to listen not only with your ears, but also with your heart.

I got mine late in life, and I asked my dear friend to go with me, to be there with me when I received my blessing. She remembered things that I did not.

The adversary is going to start throwing up road blocks to bar your path. He is going to cast doubt and contention your way. You need to be even more diligent in your prayers. Ask Father to protect you. To banish the adversary. To strengthen you so that you can block the every days nasties from your life.

My road blocks were: Cars breaking down part way to the appointment (twice), the Patriarch having unexpected eye surgery on the day of one of our appointments. Me coming down with the one of the nastiest colds and having to cancel- not only did I feel like walked on chewing gum, I sure didn't want to give the patriarch any bad germs since he just had surgery. The muffler on my own car falling off every I went to Church or to do an errand that was Church related. Contention at my work place. Feeling angry for no apparent reason.

I was nearly at my wits end when I literally crashed into one of the sisters of my branch at the grocery store. I almost screamed at her. She just hugged me and told me to banish the adversary. Banish the negative, the contention, the cold, the road blocks. Banish them in prayer.

I did. Had to do the same thing when I was preparing to go to the Temple. Same ol stuff happened. This time I was ready.

You will not get your blessing in written form right then. It will come in the mail about a month later. Just a suggestion here. Keep the blessing to yourself for at least a year or two. Don't show it to your parents or siblings just yet. You are under NO obligation to share it with family. This is yours and yours alone. Keep it that way for a while.

The only person I have shared my blessing with is my husband. The day were were sealed in the Temple, I shared my blessing with him. Actually, to show you how in tune we are with each other, we handed each other our blessings at the same time. This was not something we had previously discussed either, after we got home, and even before we changed clothes, we went to where we kept our blessings and then handed them to each other.

Consider your patriarchal blessing, your own personal letter from God.

Beside what is already said, I would ask to fast a day out and live like a missionary for that time frame. Why? Your spirit will need some attuning to the PB and what will be said. Remember my dear sister, there are times when a Patriarch will answer the desire of your heart and not be recorded. That is between the God and you. You will need a someone, close family, to be there for you to ensure anything you don't remember can be backed up.

I have found that when a person expressed there own desires when the Patriarch ask questions, express to him your desires. You will be surprised.

You will need a someone, close family, to be there for you to ensure anything you don't remember can be backed up.

Is that normal? When my teenage daughter went for hers although we took her to the appointment we stayed outside whilst she went in to the room for her blessing with just her and the patriarch there. I was also alone when I got mine as was my late husband.

Don't worry about forgetting things, you get a typed out copy sent to you later.

It just never occurred to me to ask, as I went alone for mine (which was natural as I was the only member in my family) and my late husband went alone for his, so when we took my daughter and the patriarch called her into the room and we sat outside, it never occurred to me to ask if I could go in with her.

Of course we only get to see the bits of the handbook which relate to our own particular callings so it's just something I would never know.

i was able to attend all three of my sibling's blessings, of course i was young and didn't know what was going on... but i was still able to go with my parents.

i can understand what someone (sorry i didn't quote it) said about having the advesary get in the way of you getting your blessing.

first of all, The day of my blessing i was scheduled to work. I went to work ready to get the blessings i had wanted for so long. I was going to leave work early so I could get there in time. Five minutes before I was about to leave, my mother called my work and told me that the stake patriarch has a family emergency and wouldn't be able to give me my blessing that day.

I didn't think much of it really, but now i realize how much that was Satan trying to prevent me from getting it. It's been almost two years now, and I still havent' received my PB. I had gotten married and told myself I would get it in our new ward when we moved, but we never attend that ward anymore since we didn't feel welcome. I can't stress how important it is to watch out for the little things that go wrong when you're trying to do what is right. get your blessing. seek it. I know I do.

I just made an appointment with my bishop yesterday so I can get my patriartical blessing so any advice would be helpful. :) (sorry about spelling error I meant to say Patriartical)

That's excitng .. I want to get mine ... but I dont think the time is right yet .. and neither does my bishop ... can't wait to get it though!

• 1 month later...
Guest pinkiwikisses

I so agree with you Amber. I'm 19 and I still don't have my patriartical blessing yet. I probably am ready, I feel it. But there a little part of me thats telling me to wait. So, yeah. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...