Receiving the Holy Ghost... non-LDS mehods?

jms.mills

Speaking in tongues................

How does this verse apply to the issue of speaking in tongues?

1 Corinthians 13:8

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

1 Corinthians 14:10

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification

Acts 2:6-12

If anyone speaks in a tongue, two — or at the most three — should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God" (1 Corinthians 14:27-28

I have always found the issue of speaking in tongues very interesting.... My brother claimed he was able to do this. As I sat in a church service with him as a teenager, they were doing this.......

If someone is claimng to speak in tongue, shouldn't there always be an interpretor there?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not red all this, but here is my answer:

There were at least 6 missionaries, possibly more who were there to give me the gift of HG. Iknow I got it as it whisperesme things I can do to help around and it tellsme what is right to do. I even have got information in my dreams. HG keeps lifting me up and telling me that I should nto give up, even though I feel like that.

About the gift of tungs... when you live in Finland you experience more than often the gift og tungs given to the missionaries there. Finnish is totally different language and just a few weeks in Finland missionaries are able to bear their testimony IN FINNISH! Once there was a young man that held a speach...perfect finnish... later I heard he was a missionary from USA!!

But the HG dont fall upon you without any reason, without that you call for Him, without that you believe and trust His help! It is not something that can take your body under controll without you knowing or beeing willing. If you doubt or dont ask, it wont help you!

Assemblies of God (AofG) have some good programs. In fact, one of the programs I liked (and continue to admire) the most was the Royal Rangers, the church-sponsored scout program. I was a Junior Commander in my church in High School.

That said, I can remember Sunday School lessons while I attended an AofG church, where the teacher would explain why the AofG beliefs were more correct than the Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, or Catholic view of the scriptures. Interestingly, the Sunday School teacher was using materials from the AofG publisher, Gospel Publishing House. A part of this lesson included something to the effect of, "You need to be prepared to defend your beliefs when other Christians (and non-Christians) ask you why you believe in such doctrines as healing or speaking in tongues." If memory serves me correct, this lesson was in the same unit that talked about other religions (Islam, Hinduism, Jehovah's Witness, and "Mormonism").

While the divisions may not be as heated as in the past, they are still felt and can be cause for great strife. I turn, once again, to an example from my own life. Not including myself, my family attends three different churches. Talk of religion, even before I became a Latter-Day Saint, was often strained or non-existent in my parent's home because of the various denominations in which my family were involved. There was great fear of "rocking the boat." That is one of the reasons I cannot believe the Church, as described in the Bible, can be so divided. The denominational divisions just do not make any sense in my human mind.

I know some may not believe that all of this religious chaos could stem from one person's life. I assure you that what I speak is the truth. That is why I am so thankful I have found the true church, the church established by the Christ himself!

I do not try to argue about who is right. I have gotten in huge arguments about who is "right"..... it is not worth it. As PC has said... we'll find out when we get to glory.

Speaking in tongues................

How does this verse apply to the issue of speaking in tongues?

1 Corinthians 13:8

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

These things pass away when "that which is perfect is come." We're quite certain it's when Jesus returns. Of course, those who argue for Cessationism (tongues etc. have ceased) say "that which is perfect" is the Bible. I'm doubtful that many LDS want to subscribe to that view.

1 Corinthians 14:10

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification

Give me some context here. All I can suggest is that tongues have signfication, whether I understand them or not. After all, this is why Paul said we should "pray in the Spirit AND with understanding."

Acts 2:6-12

If anyone speaks in a tongue, two — or at the most three — should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God" (1 Corinthians 14:27-28

Once again, one someone speaks out in church, and an interpretation follows, there should be no more than three messages. Further, if the prayer in tongues is of a private nature, s/he should not speak out.

Some have interpreted this to mean corporate prayer, that includes tongues, is forbidden. However, again, Paul is focussed on order in meetings. When everyone is praying in concert, there is no need for an interpretation, because the prayer is individual.

I have always found the issue of speaking in tongues very interesting.... My brother claimed he was able to do this. As I sat in a church service with him as a teenager, they were doing this.......

If someone is claimng to speak in tongue, shouldn't there always be an interpretor there?

Not if he was engaging in private prayer. If he was speaking out, and the people are listening, then yes, there must be an interpretation. The leader may even ask the person who spoke out to give the interpretation, if no one else does.

These things pass away when "that which is perfect is come." We're quite certain it's when Jesus returns. Of course, those who argue for Cessationism (tongues etc. have ceased) say "that which is perfect" is the Bible. I'm doubtful that many LDS want to subscribe to that view.

I think you are right. Our scriptures teach that these things "never will be done away, even as long as the world shall stand, only according to the unbelief of the children of men.", and further:

Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must also be charity. And except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the kingdom of God; neither can ye be saved in the kingdom of God if ye have not faith; neither can ye if ye have no hope. And if ye have no hope ye must needs be in despair; and despair cometh because of iniquity. And Christ truly said unto our fathers: If ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me.

And now I speak unto all the ends of the earth—that if the day cometh that the power and gifts of God shall be done away among you, it shall be because of unbelief. (Moroni 10:19-34)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I want to share something else out of the Book of Mormon. After his resurrection, Jesus Christ truly did visit the people who were in America. Their prophets had also prophesied of the coming of Christ and the people in America had seen the signs of his birth and death. They were the other sheep that he told his disciples about in the Bible. While he was there (around AD 34), one of the things he did was minister to the children that were there. Check this out, it's amazing:

13 Therefore, I would that ye should behold that the Lord truly did teach the people, for the space of three days; and after that he did show himself unto them oft, and did break bread oft, and bless it, and give it unto them.

14 And it came to pass that he did teach and minister unto the children of the multitude of whom hath been spoken, and he did loose their tongues, and they did speak unto their fathers great and marvelous things, even greater than he had revealed unto the people; and he loosed their tongues that they could utter.

15 And it came to pass that after he had ascended into heaven—the second time that he showed himself unto them, and had gone unto the Father, after having healed all their sick, and their lame, and opened the eyes of their blind and unstopped the ears of the deaf, and even had done all manner of cures among them, and raised a man from the dead, and had shown forth his power unto them, and had ascended unto the Father—

16 Behold, it came to pass on the morrow that the multitude gathered themselves together, and they both saw and heard these children; yea, even babes did open their mouths and utter marvelous things; and the things which they did utter were forbidden that there should not any man write them. (3 Ne. 26:13-16)

I love those verses, and all the teachings of the Savior. One day we will receive the scriptures of all the lost tribes of Israel, and we will see that God manifested himself to all, not just Judah. Above all, the Book of Mormon is a testament of Jesus Christ. You can hardly turn a page without it testifying that Jesus of Nazareth is indeed the Christ.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

In the Protestant faith (in which I grew up in), John 3:16 is heavily quoted. Children are baptized by immersion at no particular age and you "receive" the Holy Ghost by "asking Jesus to be your savior" and always acknowledging the same. I believe that they DO feel the Holy Ghost from what I have see nand experienced, but the fullness of it is only unleashed as a Latter Day Saint.

John 3:16 NIV: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

We believe in the gift on tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues and so forth (Articles of Faith)

I think confusion arises because of our interpretation of the term 'gift of tongues'

We believe in the gift on tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues and so forth (Articles of Faith)

I think confusion arises because of our interpretation of the term 'gift of tongues'

Probably. If I understand right, LDS tend to see tongues as a supernatural enabling to speak foreign language (such a a missionary who feels especially anointed, when presenting lessons or introductory comments to those in other lands). Interpretation, then, would be a supernatural enabling to understand when being spoken to in another language (again, especially appropriate for missionaries). In such a view, "tongues and interpretation" would not be for a gathering of the saints, but rather for evangelism and missionary work.

My question is, then why all that instruction in 1 Corinthians 12 & 14 about maintaining order during services, in relation to these gifts?

Speaking in Tongues does work in the LDS Church, but not as it used to. We focus more these days on other gifts of the Spirit, such as revelation, prophecy and healings.

Interestingly, in the LDS Church there is not really a direct ordination for the reception of the Holy Ghost. Instead, the elders lay their hands on the person's head and state, "Receive the Holy Ghost." Rather than calling upon the HG to fall upon the person, the person is given an injunction to receive a member of the Godhead. It is then the person's responsibility to begin preparing him/herself in order to have the constant companionship of that member of the Godhead. Sadly, most members do not begin to understand the importance of this point, and therefore only experience the HG as they incidentally bump into it on occasion.

I have experienced the Spirit in many places and in many churches (Christian and other wise). However, I must admit that I have always felt it strongest in the temple of God.

How ironic, rameumptom! I was involved in a very similar conversation recently--about the infilling of the Holy Spirit being not a one time happening, but one that should be experienced both repeatedly, and constantly. In other words, the presence of the Spirit should be curried in an on-going relationship, and times of special empowerment should happen as-needed, and with great frequency (we need it more than we thing we do!).

Personal belief, when we learn to be humble and continue to thirst and hungered for the greater knowledge thus allowing the purifying spiritual transformation of self before GOD, the Holy Ghost becomes a friend. Our mode of communications becomes two-way vice receiving promptings or feelings.