Receiving the Holy Ghost... non-LDS mehods?

jms.mills

Can some non-LDS members of this forum please describe their experience with how they received the companionship of the Holy Ghost? Was there a ceremony (or rather loose procedure) involved? How many people (ministers & hopeful recipients) were involved? How do you know you received the Holy Ghost? Other thoughts?

Just a note about me... I grew up in an evangelical church... So I have an idea about how some might respond. I ask this question so that others who may not know the practices of the various Christian Faiths can gain a little insight into the practices of colleagues, as well as reflect upon the differences of my past and present.

Hopefully we will be able to discuss some of the scriptures various groups use to support their beliefs regarding this important topic. I am sure this discussion has happened before, so if this is a rehash, I am sorry.

JM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be Roman Catholic and when I was 10 I was confirmed into that church by the Bishop, by laying on of hands at the church Altar, along with my schoolfriends. We had previously received the Sacraments of our First Confession and First Holy Communion.

I recall being a little overawed by the whole experiences..on receiving my First Holy Communion I didn't stand up and leave the Altar when I should have..a little embarrassing moment!

Amongst the many churches I 'tried out' one was a pentecostal church where there was great emphasis placed on receiving the Holy Ghost but it was a personal experience without involving anyone laying on hands or blessing or anything. It was usually something which was supposed to automatically follow baptism which was by full immersion. As a sign that the person had received the Holy Ghost they would begin to speak in tongues - which was that they would say things which were not any recognisable language and then someone else would sometimes offer what they said was the interpretation of what had been said. This puzzled me why the Holy Ghost would inspire someone to say something which then needed to be translated by someone else. I wonder if any other members have similar experiences to this?

My answer is unique to Pentecostals. We believe that receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit is demonstrated throughout the book of Acts, and also has roots in the story Jesus told, about the person who received guests late at night, and went to the baker, asking for bread. The baker finally gave it to him because of persistence, not desire. Jesus says, in the same way we should persist in seeking the gift of the Holy Spirit.

So, we believe that the baptism in the Holy Spirit will always be accompanied with an initial evidence, or experience, with speaking in tongues, as the Spirit gives the words (utterance). The language can be human or angelic, and is often unknown. The purpose, when used for private prayer or worship, is upbuilding of the individual, and communion with God on a very direct level. Additionally, the tongues are a definite--Yes, God is in me in a full and powerful way. The on-going evidences would be the fruit of the Spirit (Galations 5:22-23), and spiritual power for witnessing (Acts 1:8).

I received the baptism in the Holy Spirit at Bible camp. Hands were laid on me, counselors prayed with me, but I was to "tarry" (wait) for the Spirit to give me tongues. In my case, it was about an hour into the prayer and worship time that I began to speak in unknown tongues...and I continued to worship and pray for another hour or so (I love Bible camp!).

My parents smiled when I got home and told them. They figured it was some spiritual phase I was going through...that I'd snap out of it eventually. Here I am 30 years later--still haven't snapped out of it! :-)

Jms.mills.....The answer is yes. If fact we can even receive it before being baptized as an Astounded Peter and apostles found out. And if this happens to anyone...they are worthy to be immediately baptized.

Acts 10:44- While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Acts 10:45 - And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:46 - For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Acts 10:47 - Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Acts 10:48 - And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

The ordinance of the laying on of the hands for the Holy Ghost is only the promise of it. If a man lives his life according to the will of God...He receives His companionship by promise. They who do not have the laying on of hands do not receive the Holy Ghost as a companion by promise. It means it may not stay after giving its teaching and/or testimony of the truth. So the laying on of hands is.....Not the actual bequeathing of it. For no one can force the Holy Ghost to come to a individual. Whenever an individual fulfill the conditions of it....the promises are then fulfilled for God is no respecter of persons.

Again Yes, people of other religions can receive it. However, it is much harder to do this...if one is not taught many errors according to the creeds of men.

The added advantage of being in the LDS church is that you will find none of these type of teachings amongst the Christians.

-------------------------------------------

Evangelical churches:

However, in these churches where many claim to speak in tongues and no other gifts of the holy Ghost such as prophesying, healing, working of miracles etc are NOT manifested they are being deceived. The Speaking in tongues is the easiest of the all the gifts of God for Satan to duplicate for deception. Because which language does Satan not know?

For it is absolutely impossible that God gives everyone the same and only gift. That is not the way God works. Every man is to receive gifts according to their talent so that the whole body is served. In the Celestial Kingdom it is the opposite of what it is on the earth. In the world the weak and the least are made to serve the mighty. In the Celestial Kingdom the order is reversed. The greater one is...the better he is able to serve others. God shall give one to several gifts or more depending on the worthiness of the individual. And they are to use their gifts in the service of others. This way we remain humble and meek.

Peace be unto you

bert10

Can some non-LDS members of this forum please describe their experience with how they received the companionship of the Holy Ghost? Was there a ceremony (or rather loose procedure) involved? How many people (ministers & hopeful recipients) were involved? How do you know you received the Holy Ghost? Other thoughts?

Just a note about me... I grew up in an evangelical church... So I have an idea about how some might respond. I ask this question so that others who may not know the practices of the various Christian Faiths can gain a little insight into the practices of colleagues, as well as reflect upon the differences of my past and present.

Hopefully we will be able to discuss some of the scriptures various groups use to support their beliefs regarding this important topic. I am sure this discussion has happened before, so if this is a rehash, I am sorry.

JM

Since most scriptures are listed, I will give some tidbits....for some, it is feeling that starts at the crown of the head and sweeps the body when receiving a confirmation on what is being presented or receiving an answer - a feeling of love, joy, and happiness; sometimes uncontrollable tears. For the very few, they will see the Holy Ghost in person and know Him personally.

As I was invited to a member baptism due to a lost record, I gave this individual a talk concerning the Holy Ghost, the First Comforter. At the very end of questions and answers to this individual, I paused, silently waited for the Holy Spirit to bid its present as I looked into this individual eyes. I commenced with my testimony of the Godhead and especially of the Holy Spirit of promise. Everyone in the room felt the spirit and was in tears, as the people in the room felt the presence of this mighty Spirit.

Imagine, 7-billion spirits in this world, and a member of the Godhead came to this young individual that afternoon; noting the amount of FATHER's children on the earth. What a unique person this individual was to our FATHER to allowing this to happen.

I can not comprehend that idea of speaking in tongues. The gift of tongues was meant to be one of understanding...

In only one of the five cases in Acts (chapter 2) was tongues clearly understood by others. In the other cases we only read that they spoke in tongues after receiving the Holy Spirit. Further, in one case--when the Gentiles received the gift, the Jewish believers accepted them because they had spoken in tongues.

In Corinthians the gift of tongues, in a congregational setting (i.e. not private worship) could NOT be understood. So, there was need for the gift of interpretation.

Thus, we conclude that tongues can be both a congregational gift, one that must include an interpretation, as well as a private experience in which one is personally edified, and finds deeper communion with God.

Scriptural references seem to mean that speaking in tongues was speaking in someone else's language, that you didn't know. Huh.

Only in Acts 2 is that the case. No other account gives any hint that tongues was understood--unless there was an interpretation.

Evangelical churches:

However, in these churches where many claim to speak in tongues and no other gifts of the holy Ghost such as prophesying, healing, working of miracles etc are NOT manifested they are being deceived.

A word of clarification. Churches that make room for the gift of tongues would be considered "Pentecostal/Charismatic," rather than specifically Evangelical. Additionally, none that I know of teach that there is only the gift of tongues--no other manifestations. In fact Charismatic churches emphasize that tongues is only one evidence--that any of the gifts of the Spirit (prophesying, etc.) can be an evidence of Spirit baptism.

Pentecostal churches do insist that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of being baptized in the Spirit. However, if the gift is offered in the congregation, there would have to be a gift of interpretation as well. Also, we definitely see the gift of prophecy, healing, etc. in operation.

Bottom-line: No church that I'm aware of, only makes room for the gift of tongues to operate.

The on-going evidences would be the fruit of the Spirit (Galations 5:22-23), and spiritual power for witnessing (Acts 1:8).

I agree. To receive the gift of the Holy Spirit is one thing. It is quite another to live life in such a manner that would bring the Holy Spirit even closer to us. Without the continued evidences of the fruits of the spirit, the initial "baptism by fire" seems to be almost powerless. I am not saying the Holy Spirit is somehow powerless, but that the person who does not cultivate an atmosphere conducive to the Holy Spirit, loses power the same way a car runs out of power when it runs out of gas. Without the inspiration of the Holy Ghost we cannot continue to perfect ourselves in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

PC: Thanks for the clarification regarding Pentecostal vs. Evangelical. The two terms are not always synonymous. I can remember pastors in the various pentecostal churches I attended using both terms interchangeably. But you are absolutely right.

JM

I agree. To receive the gift of the Holy Spirit is one thing. It is quite another to live life in such a manner that would bring the Holy Spirit even closer to us. Without the continued evidences of the fruits of the spirit, the initial "baptism by fire" seems to be almost powerless. I am not saying the Holy Spirit is somehow powerless, but that the person who does not cultivate an atmosphere conducive to the Holy Spirit, loses power the same way a car runs out of power when it runs out of gas. Without the inspiration of the Holy Ghost we cannot continue to perfect ourselves in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

JM

I agree. There are so many variables that we must have a daily checkpoint to see if we are still living in harmony with Deity. The Holy Ghost can become a friend as Christ is, but we must live accordingly to HIS will.

Who believes in the Holy Triune?

Grace at the cross was freely given, right ? And, we cannot earn grace, right ? So by asking Jesus to forgive us of our sins, cleanse us and be the Lord of our life, we have received the Holy Ghost, especially if you believe in the Holy Triune.

There is no doubt that the Holy Spirit is with everyone who follows Jesus. On the other hand, even he indicated there was an additional fulness or empowerment...one that the disciple seeks after. All of those in the upper room on the day of Pentecost were Christians. In another passage in Acts, all of them had received John's baptism of repentence, but had not heard about Spirit baptism. And again, there is Jesus parable, where the man receives what he seeks because he persists.

In short, I want every blessing and empowerment God has for me...not for my glory, but so that I might be used to accomplish more for his glory.

Grace at the cross was freely given, right ? And, we cannot earn grace, right ? So by asking Jesus to forgive us of our sins, cleanse us and be the Lord of our life, we have received the Holy Ghost, especially if you believe in the Holy Triune.

Just for kicks and giggles, I did a quick search in the online edition of the King James Bible, and it came back:

"There were no occurrences of the word TRIUNE found in the Text of the Old and New Testament."

I even searched the Nicene Creed with no luck. :(

Not that I will stand in your way of believing in the Triune. That's your right. I'm glad you at least believe in Jesus Christ and in His Atonement. So do I! Welcome friend!

Vanhin

I completely agree with you.

Just for kicks and giggles, I did a quick search in the online edition of the King James Bible, and it came back:

"There were no occurrences of the word TRIUNE found in the Text of the Old and New Testament."

I even searched the Nicene Creed with no luck. :(

Not that I will stand in your way of believing in the Triune. That's your right. I'm glad you at least believe in Jesus Christ and in His Atonement. So do I! Welcome friend!

Vanhin

The following link won't provide much laughter, but it will give anyone interested, the Roman Catholic explication of the dogma of the Holy Trinity.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity

Be careful which doctrine you are adhering too. Let me add some additional light with reference to this term - TRIUNE - which Elder Parson wrote in his book, 'Building Faith with the Book of Mormon', it reads:

By Joseph Smiths day the idea of an antichrist had evolved into the idea of an Anti-Christ. The word antichrist is the Bible term for the false teachers in the Church who taught a false Christ instead of a true Christ. the Greek preposition anti, roughly translated, means instead of. It also carries the meaning of "face to face" or mirror image. The image in the mirror, looking back at you, is face to face with you. It looks like you. Yet it has no substance. It is a counterfeit of you, in a sense. It only appears to be you. So when John in his epistles spoke of antichrists, he was speaking of the belief of the Gnostics that God is a substanceless spirit rather than a resurrected being. (See 1 Jn. 2:18-22; 1 Jn. 4:1-3; 2 Jn. 1:7.) Such a god is like the image in the mirror--really nothing, a counterfeit. Through the centuries thereafter, the term antichrist became Anti-Christ, and by Joseph Smiths day it referred to those who opposed Christ. Thus during World War II there was a lot of speculation about whether Hitler was an antichrist (or Anti-Christ). Of course, that was an error. The antichrist of the Bible came, as John said, in his day, and was the doctrine of the spirit god, which became the "Triune God" adopted at the Council of Nicea. This apostate doctrine taught that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost were one God at the same time they were three and were totally without substance or form.

(Glenn L. Pearson and Reid E. Bankhead, Building Faith with the Book of Mormon , p.75)

I can not comprehend that idea of speaking in tongues. The gift of tongues was meant to be one of understanding...

Scriptural references seem to mean that speaking in tongues was speaking in someone else's language, that you didn't know. Huh.

I agree...I was always taught that a person was given the gift of tongues and interpretations of such for the Lord's purpose only, for His work to go forth. Not for man's use but His.

Who believes in the Holy Triune? Not Me...God has revealed His nature to me through divine revelation and the testimony of the Holy Spirit! And His nature is not Triune!

Grace at the cross was freely given, right ? Right! And, we cannot earn grace, right ? Right! So by asking Jesus to forgive us of our sins, cleanse us and be the Lord of our life, we have received the Holy Ghost, Wrong! You can only receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of the hands and only after Baptism by one who was given the authority by God. You can however have the Spirit with you to testify of truth when truth is spoken. especially if you believe in the Holy Triune. The trinity is a man made creed created for mans edification and not Gods.

God bless ya!

However, the... "babbling" type of tongues... I can't get it. No offense or anything, it's just beyond my grasp.

I know what I am going to say is going to seem antagonistic. I merely say this to illustrate what I have personally seen in the churches I have attended as a youth. The following experiences were not just limited to one church, but several spread over two states.

As a youth, I grew up hearing church members speaking in tongues. I heard people give wonderful descriptions of this wonderful gift and the great feelings that were associated with receiving the Holy Ghost. I longed for such an experience. I prayed with all my might for this gift. Then, as PC mentioned in his account of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, a minister extended an invitation to those who wished to receive the Holy Ghost . I accepted his invitation and came forward, waiting on the Lord for this gift. When it was my turn to be prayed over by the minister, I was experienced one of the most confusing times in my life. The minister said a prayer as he laid his hands on me. After the prayer, the minister said, "If you want to speak in tongues repeat after me." I was about eight and a half at the time. I knew that this experience could not be what everyone had made such a big deal about, but because the minister was so insistent that I repeat what he said, I did. Later, as the service was concluded, the minster reported to the congregation that I had received the Holy Ghost. Now I was completely lost. I felt no different because I had repeated a few words and certainly did not feel the peace that some members reported.

Let's fast-forward a few years to when I was in High School. By this time, I had moved thousands of miles away to a different state. The experience I just described was always in the back of my mind when the topic of the Holy Ghost came up. So, once again, a minster asked if anyone wanted to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I still longed for the fullness that was promised when one received the Holy Ghost. I wanted it with all my heart. So, I joined the line of people who were waiting for the minister who was conducting the service. Once again, the minister laid his hands on my head and said a prayer. After the prayer a few minutes went by. And then, to my disappointment, I was once again advised to repeat a certain phrase. There are other instances of similar experiences, at various points in my life.

There should be no hype regarding the Holy Ghost. There should be no social pressure to speak in tongues. I know members of Pentecostal churches deny there is any hype or pressure relating to speaking in tongues, but I felt the pressure of ministers and heard the sensationalized stories. I felt as though those who could speak in tongues (that is the "evidence" of the Holy Ghost, after all) were looked upon as being "better" Christians, somehow more worthy because they had this wonderful gift.

I do not share this page from my past to drag any belief through the mud. It is shared to show what happens when man overly exaggerates one gift of the spirit.

I am thankful for the restored Gospel. I am thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost. In my mind it is like the parable of the talents. Once a person has received a gift, it is up to a person how he/she uses that gift. Some choose to magnify the talent. Others simply ignore it, not understanding the gift that has been given to them.

God bless,

James

I agree...I was always taught that a person was given the gift of tongues and interpretations of such for the Lord's purpose only, for His work to go forth. Not for man's use but His.

One of his purposes is for our own edification. Additionally, God desires to communicate and commune with us, individually. There is a New Testament passage that refers to "groanings that cannot be uttered." It is not selfishness or greed to believe that God grants us gifts sometimes simply to bless us.