pinoy, noypi.. about the philippines

aravis

im a filipina living in the philippines!

i don't eat balut either, though my father always tells me it's healthy.

You cannot fully call yourself a filipino if you haven't eaten a balut. ;)

Cheers - Angelboy (Filipino, too, and eats balut whenever we have here in Hong Kong) :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i'll qualify my statement. I haven't eaten the entire thing yet. i cannot stand the sight, and much more, the texture of the baby duck that's why it's impossible for me to get to swallow it.

i've eaten a portion of balut. but it was a long time ago. i've had a bite of the yellow thing (don't know how i'd describe it, hehe)

one day, i'll challenge myself to eat balut without throwing away the poor baby duck. :lol:

You cannot fully call yourself a filipino if you haven't eaten a balut. ;)

Cheers - Angelboy (Filipino, too, and eats balut whenever we have here in Hong Kong) :)

ok, i'll qualify my statement. I haven't eaten the entire thing yet. i cannot stand the sight, and much more, the texture of the baby duck that's why it's impossible for me to get to swallow it.

i've eaten a portion of balut. but it was a long time ago. i've had a bite of the yellow thing (don't know how i'd describe it, hehe)

one day, i'll challenge myself to eat balut without throwing away the poor baby duck. :lol:

The technique is to close your eyes and swallow it fast! :D Yak!!!

So, yummy..... hmmmmm... sarap talaga! :P

Angelboy

I agree to that about the mangoes. The next best thing to the fresh mango is the dried mangoes. You can buy it in asian stores here in the US. Just look for a brand made in Cebu.

We sell dried mangoes at the store I work at. It even says on the packages...Mangoes from the Philippines...the best in the world.

I have tried them. They are wonderful.

i ate a lot of mangoes last summer because my uncle has a mango tree in his backyard.

last night, a balut vendor passed by our house shouting "baaalllluuuutttt!!!! pennoooy!!!" but im still not yet ready to take the balut challenge. hehehe.

Well, you may not know it Pam but Manila paper is called Manila paper because it came from Manila hemp which is particular to the Philippines. Here is a little info about it from answer.com:

Columbia Encyclopedia: Manila hemp,

the most important of the cordage fibers. It is obtained chiefly from the Manila hemp plant (Musa textilis) of the family Musaceae (banana family). It is grown mainly in its native Philippine Islands, where it has been cultivated since the 16th cent. and is known as abacá. The abacá is in no way related to the true hemp; it is of the same genus as the common banana, which it closely resembles except for the inedible fruit. At maturity the plants are cut down, and the long fibers are taken from overlapping leaves that converge at the base to form a false stem. The fibers are exceptionally strong and durable. The coarser ones are used for binder twine, matting, and rope, particularly marine cordage because of their resistance to the action of saltwater; the finer grades are woven into beautiful native fabrics and hemp hats. Manila paper is made chiefly from old Manila hemp ropes and is valuable as a strong wrapping paper. Manila hemp is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Liliopsida, order Zingiberales, family Musaceae.

No I didn't serve a mission. During my 18 years working for the US Navy, I worked with many many men who were from the Philippines. Every potluck lunch at work they of course would always bring pancit, lumpia and chicken adobo.

• 7 months later...

I have heard that mangoes from the Philippines are the best in the world.

hmm dried mangoes from cebu make great "pasalubong" ( homecoming treats) and the mangoes of guimaras.. well they are the sweetest in the world =)

hmm.. but one thing i like being Filipino other than the great food.. is the diversity of dialects.. like in Negros. It's just one island but the western area (Negros Occidental) speaks mostly Hiligaynon, while the eastern area speaks mostly Cebuano.

Region 6 or the Western Visayas is a motley of dialects and accents - Aklanon in Aklan, Karay-a in Capiz and Antique, and Hiligaynon in the other provinces.

Then of course there are the amazing beaches in Palawan, Cebu and of course Boracay in Aklan. I want to visit the chocolate hills soon in Bohol. But my cousin says that Bohol isn't that pretty these days.

I understand there are hundreds of dialects in the Tagalog language. Is this true?

Well Tagalog is actually a dialect.. Filipino language.. well, no one is quite definite on this because we are taught Tagalog for our Filipino classes but in terms of usage I think there are more Cebuano speakers than Tagalog speakers.. then of course there's Ilocano,Chavacano, Waray, and many other dialects..