pinoy, noypi.. about the philippines

aravis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. My wife and I have just received our mission call to the Philippine Manila Mission.

i'm from manila stake. missonaries in our stake come from the manila mission. hopefully we can get to meet you in one of our stake conferences. the current manila mission president is president howard. he served here in the philippines around mid 1960's.

congratulations on your call!!!

I have a question about Tagalog (is that how you spell it?) Is it a written language as well as a spoken one? My son in law is part Filiapino and I know he can speak it but have never asked him about whether or not it is written.

hi bayoumom,

Yes you spelled it write. Tagalog is both a written and spoken language. Where is your son-in-law from?

floreslg

Modern Tagalog uses the same letters as english.

Here's a sample:

Pupunta ako sa tindahan. Kunti lang ang pera ko. Malapit ang pwesto namin.

Befoer the Spanish arrived in the Philippines they had their own alphabet called the Alibata or Baybayin.

Edited by deseretgov

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Filipino hailing from the island of Cebu. My dad is from Mactan Island, my mom is from Bohol.

There are 49 distinct dialects in the Philippines. Distinct, as in, as different as French is from English. There are several variations of certain dialects, for example, my mom speaks Boholano Visaya while my dad speaks Cebuano Visaya, all variations of the Visaya dialect. It is similar to the difference between English and Ebonics where most of the words are the same - just the accent and certain words are different, but you can still understand each other for the most part. If you count each variation to each dialect, there are over 100 of them.

Tagalog, unlike popular belief, is not the national language. It is one of the 49 dialects. Pilipino is the national language. It is a language derived from all 49 dialects using Tagalog as its basic structure. For example, in Pilipino you say eroplano (a word taken from the Chabakano and Visaya dialects who use the same word for airplane), in Tagalog you say salipawpaw. But, because Pilipino is structured using Tagalog and because Tagalog is mainly spoken by Filipinos living near the capital, Tagalog is almost "lost" to be replaced by Pilipino in these regions, so Tagalog and Pilipino became interchangeable. But, there are tons of people working to restore the original Tagalog dialect.

I love BALUT! You can get it in certain "days". 16 day-old balut is called balut pinoy and does not have the duck yet - only yolk. 18 day-old balut has a little "substance" to the yolk, and 20 day-old has bones. I usually don't go beyond 18 day-old.

Then there's chicharon dipped in vinegar. Okay, I'm getting hungry. And it is the only place where you can order your Chicken McNuggets with Rice or Fries. And the Philippines is about the only place where all parts of the chicken is eaten - you can find grilled chicken feet (we call adidas!), chicken intestines, and chicken skulls strung on a bbq stick.

If you ask a Filipino how many islands comprise the Philippine archipelago, you are probably going to get the question, "High tide or low tide?".

Mabuhay!

P.S.

Prominent Filipinos:

Lea Salonga - the singing voice of Mulan and Jasmine's singing voice for A Whole New World. She is an actress in Broadway having roles in Miss Saigon and Les Miserables.

Arnel Pineda - the current lead vocalist for the band Journey. Check this out:

Cheryl Burke - from dancing with the stars (she was born and grew up in the USA).

Dan Inosanto - Martial Arts trainer for Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee concepts), he also appeared in Bruce Lee's movie Game of Death and Big Trouble in Little China.

Paeng Nepomuceno - World Bowling Champion, 1976, 1980, 1992, and 1996.

Manny Pacquiao - first Asian boxer to hold 4 world titles in 4 different weight divisions.

Tim Tebow - Heisman trophy winner in 2007. He was born in the Philippines from American parents.

Charlene Gonzalez - Miss Universe 1994.

Banig - gosh, I can't remember her real name! She beat Christina Aguilera in Star Search 1989.

And some infamous ones:

Imelda Marcos - wife of dictator Marcos known for her 3,000 pairs of shoes.

And let's not forget Lapu-lapu - the guy who killed Magellan.

• 2 weeks later...

Kumusta ka.

We are receiving tutoring in Tagalog and are struggleing to learn it before we leave for the Philippines the end of May. I am hoping we will be able to pick it up better when we get there. We will be in the Manila Mission so will we use mainly the Tagalog lanquage or will we be exposed to dialects? How much

english is used?

Mabuhay

• 3 months later...

Pinay here!

It's been a long time since I've been to PI but I'd really like to take hubby there to see how beautiful it is :] Ahh, the memories. And regarding pancit, my husband loves that stuff so I end up making it all the time!

Hi BINI! I guess that's short for Binibini... A lady. :-D

My son will be baptized on Saturday - Filipino style... that is, pansit, lumpia, pork bbq on sticks, jasmine rice.. etc. etc. etc... YUMMM!

Hi BINI! I guess that's short for Binibini... A lady. :-D

My son will be baptized on Saturday - Filipino style... that is, pansit, lumpia, pork bbq on sticks, jasmine rice.. etc. etc. etc... YUMMM!

Did someone mention pancit and lumpia? Okay what time and what's the address?

• 4 weeks later...