Proxy ordinance opt-out

Jacob1207

I was once informed that the work that the Church isn't able to finish by the Millennial Reign will have a chance to be completed fully when He returns.

Does anyone have references for this? I'd like to know where it came from, that idea...

But going with that idea, which I believe anyway... Having his name removed should thus not be too big of a worry for the rest of us in the Gospel. All who want to be baptized will get the chance...

Great. So, who is it that I'd need to contact about this? That is, who keeps the records about proxy work and all that? (Presumably they're the ones I need to contact for a definitive answer on this matter.)

After you die, and you have been taught the true gospel, and when they ask you if you want to accept the baptism done by proxy for you, all you have to do is say no. That's it, end of story. You can do this yourself when the time comes. There's no need to worry about others not doing your wishes, you can opt out in person. I don't know of any reason to be worked up about it now. If you don't believe, just say no in the afterlife. You won't be forced to accept it.

I don't know exactly, but you might try the Family History Department in Salt Lake City. It might be Family and Church History Department, but it's in SLC. As far as I know, all names must be run through them before work can be done.

I don't know if the Family History Library is the same or different thatn the Family History Department, but here is an address you can try:

Family History Library

35 North West Temple Street, Room 344

Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3440

The easiest way would be to have a note in your will asking to be excluded from LDS Temple work. Anyone in your family who ends up being a genealogist will look for your will. If they happen to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints they will almost certainly look for your will.

When I'm doing genealogy for my family members I ask the ones who are still living (all Baptists) if I can do their Temple work for them or cause it to be done after they have died. I've had one family member ask for an exclusion. It's an option in the database of any genealogy program that keeps track of Temple work.

People that do not have any chldren, may have their names submitted by a relative of their father.

Anyone can submit names for proxy work as long as they are a relative of some sort, including aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It is not restricted to relatives of the father.

Aside from that, there are people that do geneology work and gather names and submit them for proxy work.

While this is true, it should be clarified that only a relative of some sort can submit the names for proxy work. If there is no relation, he/she cannot submit the name.

Elphaba

I am conflicted about this issue.

I think I do understand why a person would be insulted by a Church taking her name and inserting it into a database that will result in proxy work being performed for her by a Church she has no belief in.

I especially understand holocaust survivors taking offense at the Church's practice, as their Jewish heritage is more than just a religion to them. It is the crux of their existence, and to discover a Christian church was using their ancestors' names to perform one of its rituals, it is obvious why they are so adamant this practice stop.

However, when a person, or a group of people, requests the work not be performed, it actually validates the work, and looks like these people believe it does what the Church says it does: Provide the necessary ordinances for a person who has accepted the LDS gospel in heaven.

To an unbeliever, proxy work is no more legitimate than keeping kosher is to a gentile.

If you don't believe the LDS Church's proxy work has any affect on you after you die, then why worry about it?

Elphaba

What about the church's extraction program? Does that still exist? I know when I used to work in a FHC many years ago there were a lot of names on the IGI which had not been submitted by family members but by the church extraction program.

Hi Willow,

Yes the extraction program is still alive and well. In fact, my mother spends a couple of hours every morning doing extraction.

She said you could go to "famiilysearch.org," and see who has already be submitted, etc.

She also said anyone can do extraction, so if you were interested you can find the details at this site.

Hope this helps.

Elphaba