How to test a prophet

1) A true prophet does not lie. His predictions will be fulfilled. (Jer. 28:9, "But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the LORD only if his prediction comes true.")

2) A true prophet prophesies in the name of the Lord, not in his own name. (2 Pet. 1:21, "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.")

3) A true prophet does not give his own private interpretation of prophecy. (2 Pet. 1:20, "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.")

4) A true prophet points out the sins and transgressions of the people against God. (Isa. 58:1, "Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins.)

5) A true prophet is to warn the people of God's coming judgment. (Examples of judgment such as portrayed in Isa. 24:20, "The earth reels like a drunkard, it sways like a hut in the wind; so heavy upon it is the guilt of its rebellion that it falls --never to rise again." and Rev. 14:6, 7, "Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth --to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.'").

6) A true prophet edifies the church, counsels and advises it in religious matters. (1 Cor. 14:3, 4, "But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.")

7) A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the words of the prophets that have preceded him. (Isa. 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.")

8) A true prophet recognizes the incarnation of Jesus Christ. (1 John 4:1-3, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.")

9) A true prophet can be recognized by the results of his work. (Matt. 7:16-20, "By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.")

10) A true prophet acts in accordance with the will and approval of God. (Deut. 18:19, "If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.")

Let's expand two of the more significant passages above:

Deut. 18:15-22. [Moses said to his people] "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. . . . The LORD said to me: 'What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.' You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?' If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him."

Isaiah 8:19-22, "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. Distressed and hungry, they will roam through the land; when they are famished, they will become enraged and, looking upward, will curse their king and their God. Then they will look toward the earth and see only distress and darkness and fearful gloom, and they will be thrust into utter darkness."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tomk

But Jesus said " I am the Way, the Truch and the Life...No one gets to the Father, but by Me"

The Father gives His words unto the Son. The Son gives those same words to us, via the Holy Ghost.

Testament Prophets fall into two main categories, which helps in distinguishing the Ministry of New Testament Prophets from that of the Old Testament Prophets.

1. PROPHETS OF GUIDANCE

Moses, Samuel, Elijah and Elisha and others, were Prophets particularly used in the Ministry of guidance. The Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, Forth- telling and Fore-telling. and Miracles - all confirmed that they were Prophets. These revealed and declared the Mind of God to the people. They were God's spokesman.

2. PROPHETS OF VISION AND SCRIPTURE

a. Prophets of Vision - Daniel and Zechariah especially are Prophets of Vision, or Seers, in which God gave Visions which they recorded under Divine inspiration as infallible prophecy.

They foretold the future and destiny of the Nations of earth. Daniel did not utter these things forth as in the Office of a spokesman, or Prophet.

b. Prophets of Scripture - Isaiah, Jeremiah9 Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, and all of the Prophets spoken of as "Major and Minor" Prophets moved especially in the realm of Prophecy - the Prophetic Scriptures. They moved in the fullest sense of Fore-telling and Forth- telling the destiny of the Nations, both Hebrew and Gentile.

Through these Prophets came infallible Scripture. God overruling the imperfections and infirmities of these men. and brought forth infallible revelation through fallible men, using their personalities under the Spirit's control.

However, most of these were not used in the area of miracles, as were the Prophets of guidance.

These Prophets of Scripture became God's voice for the generation of their time and also for all future generations.

Conclusions:

The essential functions of the Old Testament Prophets were as follows:

1. Old Testament Prophets were used in guidance.

2. Old Testament Prophets were used to utter and write the infallible Scripture.

Guidance for the people or nation was given to the Prophet or Priest by the Spirit by means of Visions, Voice, Visitation, Word or Dream, or by Urim and Thummin because the Holy Spirit was not yet available for "all flesh" under the Old Covenant Dispensation.

Infallible Prophecy is spoken of in 2 Peter 1:20-21."Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

There will be variations of the Prophetic Ministry in the New Testament Church, as there was in the Old Testament, as God willed to use them, but these Essential differences will always remain.

B. The New Testament Prophet

It is important to remember these facts.

1. No New Testament Prophet was ever used in guiding or controlling and governing the believer in the will of God, but often used in confirmation of the already known and revealed will of God.

2. No New Testament Prophet was ever used in the utterance or writing of infallible Scripture. All prophetic utterances were judged by the Word of Scripture.

1 Corinthians 14:29-30, 32

Most of the New Testament was written by Apostles.

The reason New Testament Prophets were not used for guidance, or for writing of infallible Scripture is evident! God was making a complete break between the operation of the Old Testament Prophet in this New Testament Dispensation of the Spirit, when the Spirit was available for all.

To go back to seeking guidance through Prophets is to resort back to Old Testament methods. The Bible teaches, Romans 8:14 :

"As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons (huios) of God."

Acts 21:8-14 gives a remarkable distinction between the Gift of Prophecy and the Office of a Prophet. Although Philip the Evangelist had four daughters who did prophesy, they were not prophetesses, God sent the ProphetAgabus down to foretell what would happen to Paul at Jerusalem, again confirming what Paul already knew.

The New Testament warns us to beware of False Prophets.

Acts 13:6

2 Peter 2:1

1 John 4:1

By their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 7:15; 24:11. 24

Revelation 16:13

The final test is the Law and the Testimony.

Isaiah 8:20

Deuteronomy 18:22

Deuteronomy 13:1-5

Jeremiah 28:9

Both the Old Testament and New Testament abound with evidences and warnings against false prophets. whenever and wherever there are true prophets, Satan will stir up false prophets in order to deceive people.

Actually, there are more warnings in the total Bible concerning false prophets than any other ministries.

However, these warnings are applicable to all. (Matthew 24:11,24; Jeremiah 5:30,31; 1 John 4:1-2; Mark 13:22 are some examples.)

In concluding this study, we note twelve major tests of prophets and these may be applied to any ministries in these days.

1. Test the Spirit - 1 John 4:1-3

Is it the Holy Spirit, the human spirit or an evil spirit that is giving the utterance? Read I Kings 22 for examples of these three sources of utterances that have to be tested.

2. Test of Fulfillment - Deuteronomy 18:22.

Does the prophetic word come to pass or not? Time is the great prover of prophecies. History proves prophecy.

3. Test of Worship - Deuteronomy 13:1-5.

Does the prophetic word lead us to worship God or lead us away from the true God?

4. Test of Doctrine - I John 4:1-6; 1 Timothy 4:1-3; Isaiah 8:19-20.

Do the prophets speak in harmony with the major doctrines of redemption? Do they speak according to the sound doctrine of God's Word?

5.Test of Fruit - Matthew 7:15-23

What is the fruit of the prophet's lifestyle? It is by their fruits - not by their gifts - you shall know them. Fruit is the nature and character of the tree. Do not mistake charisma for character.

6. Test of Covetousness - Micah 3:11; II Peter 2:1-3.

Are these prophets making merchandise of the people of God? You will know them by their love of money. Remember Baalam, Judas, Simon and I Timothy 6:9-11.

7. Test of Ministry to the People - Jeremiah 23:18-23.

Do these prophets turn the people from their sinful lifestyle to God? Without holiness of life none shall see the lord (Hebrews 12:7-14).

8. Test of Humility -I Corinthians 8:1

Does the prophetic word produce humility or pride in the heart? Does it exalt the person or Christ in you? Does it create hunger and thirst and love for the living God? Knowledge puffs up

love builds up.

9. Test of Value

While we are to "war a good warfare by the prophecies" that go before on us, do we value the infallible Word of God above the personal prophetic words? Most prophetic words confirm on a personal basis what the inspired and infallible Word has already told us to do on a general basis. Which is the greater value?

10. Test of Confirmation

Is the prophetic utterance confirmation to your spirit? Does it agree with the already known and revealed will of God? Is there the rule of peace in your heart? If not, seek the counsel of proven ministry.

11. Test of Control

Prophets are not to use their giftings to manipulate, intimidate and control the people to whom they minister by fear. Does the prophet attempt to exercise control over your life? Does he manipulate or intimidate you by his utterances?

12. Test of Accountability - Matthew 12:34-37.

To whom is the prophet accountable? Where is his home church? Does he have apostolic or other covering? Is he willing to take responsibility for his prophecies? Is he untouchable? Does he have "checks and balances?" All New Testament prophets belonged to and were under the authority of some local church.

By use of these questions, the believer can be blessed, strengthened, encouraged and established in the will of God by true prophets, and be safe guarded from false prophets that seek to control and manipulate people.

The Apostle Paul writes, "Let the prophets speak two or three and let the others judge... and the spirit of the prophets is subject to the prophets..."

(I Corinthians 14:29-32).

"Do not quench the Spirit ... Do not despise prophecies... test (prove) all things; hold fast that which is good..."

(I Thessalonians 5:19-21).

And finally, "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things I write unto you are the commandments of the lord. But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant" (I Corinthians 14:27-28).

I predict that this thread will ultimately end up like the other one talking about Elvis, bananas (and apples called bananas), and shaking the dust off our feet at each other.

Oh and Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.

Vanhin

1) A true prophet does not lie. His predictions will be fulfilled. (Jer. 28:9, "But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the LORD only if his prediction comes true.")

2) A true prophet prophesies in the name of the Lord, not in his own name. (2 Pet. 1:21, "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.")

3) A true prophet does not give his own private interpretation of prophecy. (2 Pet. 1:20, "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.")

4) A true prophet points out the sins and transgressions of the people against God. (Isa. 58:1, "Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins.)

5) A true prophet is to warn the people of God's coming judgment. (Examples of judgment such as portrayed in Isa. 24:20, "The earth reels like a drunkard, it sways like a hut in the wind; so heavy upon it is the guilt of its rebellion that it falls --never to rise again." and Rev. 14:6, 7, "Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth --to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.'").

6) A true prophet edifies the church, counsels and advises it in religious matters. (1 Cor. 14:3, 4, "But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.")

7) A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the words of the prophets that have preceded him. (Isa. 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.")

8) A true prophet recognizes the incarnation of Jesus Christ. (1 John 4:1-3, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.")

9) A true prophet can be recognized by the results of his work. (Matt. 7:16-20, "By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.")

10) A true prophet acts in accordance with the will and approval of God. (Deut. 18:19, "If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.")

Let's expand two of the more significant passages above:

Deut. 18:15-22. [Moses said to his people] "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. . . . The LORD said to me: 'What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.' You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?' If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him."

Isaiah 8:19-22, "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. Distressed and hungry, they will roam through the land; when they are famished, they will become enraged and, looking upward, will curse their king and their God. Then they will look toward the earth and see only distress and darkness and fearful gloom, and they will be thrust into utter darkness."

Greetings lostandfound!

I read your list. Thank you for sharing it. My first question is this, and I do not mean to be smug, if it comes across that way, as I sincerely want to know: What is the point of this list?

My second observation is that as I read the scripture references by which this list is justifying the criteria, I saw that some of the scriptures do indeed speak specifically of prophets and prophecy. However, some of the scriptures do not seem to be speaking of a specific prophetic criteria, but rather they seem to be general counsel. My question, then, is this: How do you link the apparent general counsel of some of the scriptures to being specific criteria of how a prophet should be judged?

I thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Finrock

Greetings lostandfound!

I read your list. Thank you for sharing it. My first question is this, and I do not mean to be smug, if it comes across that way, as I sincerely want to know: What is the point of this list?

My second observation is that as I read the scripture references by which this list is justifying the criteria, I saw that some of the scriptures do indeed speak specifically of prophets and prophecy. However, some of the scriptures do not seem to be speaking of a specific prophetic criteria, but rather they seem to be general counsel. My question, then, is this: How do you link the apparent general counsel of some of the scriptures to being specific criteria of how a prophet should be judged?

I thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Finrock

There was another thread where someone brought up something about Joseph smith and pologomy so I thought it would be interesting to look into the scriptures that looked at how to test a prophet.

A true prophet also tells people where they are going wrong - and is often despised by them for doing so.

Who, can you point me to references?

Hi lostnfound!

Thanks for answering the first question I had. Did you also have an answer to the second part of my last post here?

In any case, to answer your post here, please consider this reference concerning Abraham. In Genesis chapter 20, Abraham lies to Abimelech, telling Abimelech that Sarah is his sister. This, Abraham does, fearing for his own life (not very honorable, if you ask me).

Regards,

Finrock

I myself find no reason at all to test the prophets. I can only speak of Latter Day Prophets since that is the era we now live...But these men were called of God. God is someone I trust without a doubt. So why do I need to test his Prophets?

Hi lostnfound!

Thanks for answering the first question I had. Did you also have an answer to the second part of my last post here?

In any case, to answer your post here, please consider this reference concerning Abraham. In Genesis chapter 20, Abraham lies to Abimelech, telling Abimelech that Sarah is his sister. This, Abraham does, fearing for his own life (not very honorable, if you ask me).

Regards,

Finrock

sorry finrock, I was a little confused by your 2nd question. Can you restate it somehow?

I myself find no reason at all to test the prophets. I can only speak of Latter Day Prophets since that is the era we now live...But these men were called of God. God is someone I trust without a doubt. So why do I need to test his Prophets?

The reason you are to test the prophets is to know if what comes out of their mouth is coming from God or not. There are many false prophets and that includes today. The scriptures that were written then are to be applied just as much today.

IMHO, true prophets will be in abundance in the last days. Joel 2:28-29 intimates that young men will see visions, old men dreams, and both men and women will prophesy. I'm aware that there is a difference between one who prophecies and one who fulfills the office of Prophet--nevertheless...will we hear the voice of God when his people prophecy, or will we be so certain of our private interpretations, or of our own calcified concepts of how God can speak that we fail to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches?

Hi lostnfound!

Regards,

Finrock

He even goes to the point of letting another man marry her to cover up the fact that they were married. My family is reading the Old Testament together and we're halfway through. Back then, I guess guys would kill each other to get their wives, so it was safer for them to pretend they weren't married. Abraham was actually telling a half-truth, if I recall correctly. Sarah was his half-sister, but he was trying to deceive others, pretending they weren't married. Then Jacob lies about the same thing. He says that his wife is his sister and others figure it out when they see them "sporting" with each other. I think the women went along with it because they didn't especially care to have their husbands killed.

But they lied.

Wasn't there also an example of Ezekiel lying?

So it is ok to pray to Jesus?

I beleive that is whom we do pray, Technicaly we are supposed to be praying to God himself thru his son Jesus, but i know a lot of people get this mixed up and God does understand our hearts intent, not missunderstanding technical knowledge. :)

Guest User-Removed

How long must we tolerate this Anti codswallop....Hmmmm...where's that mod soooo quick to silence Latter Day Saints on other threads...yet so silent when it comes to the enemies of the Prophet Joseph????