How to test a prophet

a little confused here..there will be many false prophets in the latter day. And guess what we are living in the latter days.

It is true that it is said there will be many false prophets. However in your earlier posts your were categorizing all prophets and how we need to know if what comes out of their mouths are true. I was only responding to the prophets called of God to lead the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was only giving my opinion on those men. Not some "Joe Blow" that would call himself a prophet without the proper calling.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest User-Removed

I think there's a difference between being a blatant anti-Mormon and sharing personal opinions.

I'm curious...Are you saying then, that you prefer anti's to be subtle...compared to blatant?

I'm curious...Are you saying then, that you prefer anti's to be subtle...compared to blatant?

I prefer not to tolerate anti's at all. The Christian beliefs forum is open to discussion of all Christian beliefs. My job is to impartially ensure that rules are followed and that no anti material is published. This thread has already been discussed by the moderators and Heather personally. If I feel that it clearly crosses the anti line I will have absolutely no problem closing it. Feel free to report this thread and which rules of the terms and agreement it violates, cite the post(s) and I will personally deal with it for you. Fair enough?

Lostnfound, here is an example stated from a paper on fairlds.org:

For this reason, following the logic of the critics, we would have to conclude that Moses-to whom the revelation in Deuteronomy 18:20-22 is ascribed-was a false prophet. In Numbers 25:13, he said, in the name of the Lord, that Phinehas, his grand nephew, would hold the priesthood eternally. But if Hebrews 7:11-12 is correct, the Aaronic priesthood is not eternal. In this particular example, Moses fills the requirement for the test of Deuteronomy much more closely than does Joseph Smith in most of the examples of "false prophecies" cited by the critics. How, then, can Latter-day Saints accept both Joseph Smith and Moses as true prophets, regarding their prophecies as divinely-inspired? The answer lies in the fact that prophecy is typically conditional.

And as PC stated, Jonah made a false prophecy too. I learned this while watching Veggietales. Ok, and from reading the Bible. ;)

Here's a funny story. During an interfaith conversation on another board, we were discussing which religions are Christian and a bunch of people kept popping in to say that Mormons weren't. This woman spouted off about how she knew the Bible said there wouldn't be anymore prophets, so our religion was false, oh, but then she added, "There won't be any until the last days like it says in Revelation!" Then this girl says, "Maybe it is the last days and the Mormons have it right." :lol: I've spoken to people about who the prophets are in Revelation 11 and they think it might be Elijah and Moses coming back. I don't think so.

Don't cut and paste garble from other sites on here. I've told the mods to delete such posts. If you want to ask a question, fine, but copy and paste jobs aren't doing anyone any good.

Honestly I don't care if leading questions from anti's are posted here, because at least then people are going to find the truthful side of the conversation. People are doing internet searches for this kind of stuff. If we don't have the answers, you know what sites will. By having the questions here, at least people can find our site and be able to find the truthful answers to them. Remember that LDS FAIR Apologetics Homepage has a lot of resources available, and link to them where applicable.

So let me state this again -- Cut and paste from other websites will be deleted. I'm okay if you take a few lines from lds.org or fairlds.org and then link to the rest of the article, but don't paste the whole thing. This doesn't help our site at all. Also, I'm okay if the QUESTION is asked, but I'm not okay for this forum to be used to spread false, misleading information about the Church. Any posts such as those will be deleted at the posted dealt with according to the rules.

Guest User-Removed

1) A true prophet does not lie. His predictions will be fulfilled. (Jer. 28:9, "But the prophet who prophesies peace will be recognized as one truly sent by the LORD only if his prediction comes true.")

2) A true prophet prophesies in the name of the Lord, not in his own name. (2 Pet. 1:21, "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.")

3) A true prophet does not give his own private interpretation of prophecy. (2 Pet. 1:20, "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.")

4) A true prophet points out the sins and transgressions of the people against God. (Isa. 58:1, "Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins.)

5) A true prophet is to warn the people of God's coming judgment. (Examples of judgment such as portrayed in Isa. 24:20, "The earth reels like a drunkard, it sways like a hut in the wind; so heavy upon it is the guilt of its rebellion that it falls --never to rise again." and Rev. 14:6, 7, "Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth --to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.'").

6) A true prophet edifies the church, counsels and advises it in religious matters. (1 Cor. 14:3, 4, "But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.")

7) A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the words of the prophets that have preceded him. (Isa. 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.")

8) A true prophet recognizes the incarnation of Jesus Christ. (1 John 4:1-3, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.")

9) A true prophet can be recognized by the results of his work. (Matt. 7:16-20, "By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.")

10) A true prophet acts in accordance with the will and approval of God. (Deut. 18:19, "If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.")

Let's expand two of the more significant passages above:

Deut. 18:15-22. [Moses said to his people] "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. . . . The LORD said to me: 'What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.' You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?' If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him."

Isaiah 8:19-22, "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. Distressed and hungry, they will roam through the land; when they are famished, they will become enraged and, looking upward, will curse their king and their God. Then they will look toward the earth and see only distress and darkness and fearful gloom, and they will be thrust into utter darkness."

lostnfound is this the web site you cut and pasted your original post from?

Test of Prophet

The one example given to me was Jonah, who prophesied that Ninevah would be destroyed. He offered no "unless you repent..."

However, when a prophet warns of judgment, it seems reasonable to always hope that repentance can offer hope.

But Jonah did not lie..he was told to warm them to turn back to God and they did.

lostnfound is this the web site you cut and pasted your original post from?

Test of Prophet

This clearly is a copy and paste from another site. Thank you, MyDogSkip. I don't believe this thread can be any more productive. Instead of deleting the quoted post, however, I am closing this thread.

For anyone reading I submit that the ultimate test of a true prophet or of any of God's truth, regardless of what religion professes truth is to humble yourself and ask God in faith.

James 1: 5-6

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Clearly with so many religions professing the truth coming from the Bible, what better wisdom or knowledge can we gain than directly from God? Be not troubled that there are false prophets in the world for God's wisdom is greater than the devil's cunning. Even people who walked and talked with Christ did not know of a surety that He was the Son of God and at times some threatened to stone Him to death for blasphemy. One of Christ's own apostles knew clearly without a doubt knew that Christ was the Son of God and it wasn't because he followed any tests:

Matt. 16: 13-18

13 ΒΆ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter knew through personal revelation that Christ was the Son of God. That is the only true and unequivocal test. The Bible cannot prove that God lives and no religion can prove its truth, though by its fruits will you know it. Only God will tell you where His truth lies and to doubt this is to short change yourself by denying His power over Satan's cunning to deceive. Frankly I think it insults God's intelligence to doubt His power to answer your heartfelt prayers. Therefore pray and do not waver.

But Jonah did not lie..he was told to warm them to turn back to God and they did.

This is where the gnats get strained. First, you are absolutely right that Jonah did not lie. He said what God told him to. However, what God told him was to proclaim judgment upon Ninevah. We can infer that Jonah did not offer a hope of escape, because in chapter 3 verse 9 the king says, "Who knows but that God may turn and relent?" They repent, not because of promised mercy, but simply out of hope that God MIGHT extend mercy.

So, the accusation is that Jonah prophesied judgment, but the judgment did not come. Since his prophesy did not come to pass, he was a false prophet. AGAIN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS LOGIC. The Ninevites were wise to hope for mercy from God. If God pronounces judgement, it's reasonable to hope that he is implying one final reprieve, should the people recant and repent.

So, Lost, we are on the same page here. The Jonah argument justifying prophetic mistakes is extremely weak, imho. But, it's out there, so heads up.