Favorite Passages

Just for the encouragement.

I would love to hear what you all consider your favorites verses/passages in the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Book of Mormon. (I know they're all profitable and inspired; I'm asking for passages which are a special encouragement to you.)

For myself:

Old Testament Psalm 27:4

One thing I have asked of the Lord, that I will seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in his temple.

New Testament (tough choice) Romans 8:38-39

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Book of Mormon pending...I've just borrowed a copy, and it may take me a while to get through it, but

I'll get back to you!

I will 2nd this verse with you

Romans 8:38-39

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

add this one

Romans 12:1-2, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the acceptable and perfect will of God.”

1 Corinthians 1:25

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength

and this one of the NT

John 3:16

For God so love the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life.

1 Peter 4:11

If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Of the OT

Proverbs 3:6, “Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.”

Psalm 91

1-2, "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him."

9-10, "If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home.

Isaiah 40:29

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak

Psalm 18:1

[ For the director of music. Of David the servant of the LORD. He sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said: ] I love you, O LORD, my strength

Psalm 73:26

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Isaiah 12:2

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."

;);):):)

Those are just a few of my favorties ....

ok this one is tough...There are so many good ones that give me strength and hope.

In the Old testament I would have to say Isaiah 1:18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

New Testament: hmmmm there are so many good ones in there. As I read this morning my heart is touched by Paul's testimony of the afterlife

2 Timothy 4:6-8

6. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Book of Mormon: hmmm another tough one because there is so much.

all of king Benjamin's address is awesome but I love where the Savior comes to the people in the American continent in 3rd Nephi and he identifies himself to the people.

3 Nephi 11:10-11

10. Behold I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.

11. And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.

tomorrow my favorites might be completely different.

Too many to list Listener. Deut. 6:4-9 is one that I really like though at the moment.

Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.

"You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

My fav OT verse has a story to it...

Whilst in my 3rd year at Uni about 4 hours from home, I was struggling spiritually. Was in the library getting info for a course on Digital Signal Processing and picked up a 6 inch tome, after reading it for about 10 mins, I went to put it back on the shelf, as I did so I noticed something odd, there was a card near the back of the book which somehow I hadn't noticed before.

It had the verse...

Prov 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understandings; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

I haven't read the Book of Mormon (yet) but from I'll post part of the title page something that I agree with!

"..that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God"

As for the NT, to many to choose from but given my faith journey then a balance of John 3:16 and Acts 2:38 is probably appropriate.

As for non-biblical texts, given that next Sunday is Mother's Day, you can't go past Hezekiah 4:16 "Thou shalt not forget Mother's Day."

Proverbs 31:10 to 31 Who can find a virtuous woman? gives me goals..

Ecclesiastes chapter 3 1 to 8 of course "to everything there is a season" but the rest of the chapter really is great.

Isaiah 61:1-3 which goes with Luke 4: 16-24

Matthew 6: 8 -15 The lords prayer -- have said it since I was a child

Matthew 7 the whole chapter

BOM Jacob 4: 4-5

Moroni Chapter 7

These are but a few just looking thru my scriptures. Different scriptures speak to me different times. I love reading proverbs and Isaiah.

:hippie:peace to you all

In case I quote them wrong I will let the forum look them up:

OT - Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

NT - 1Cor chapter 13 - the entire chapter

BofM 1Nephi 1:1-3 This is a perfect example of an ancient Egyptian poetic form placed at the beginning of a document common at the time of Lehi that was not known in modern times until over 100 years after Joseph Smith. It is both a witness and testimony that could have only be explained through the divinity of the Book of Mormon

The Traveler

Thanks for all your contributions so far everyone.

I've only gotten through the first 13 chapters of the BOM so far, but I would love to put a vote in for I Nephi 10:18:

"For he is the same yesterday, today and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him."

I like many verses in Isaiah 54, centered on verse 10:

"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee."

I like 1 Nephi 11:17 -- has been a bit of a mantra when needed.

"I know that he [God] loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

I love much that is in Moses 6 and 7 (the Pearl of Great Price). I love the joy that is in this verse Moses 7:63:

"And the Lord said unto Enoch: Then shalt thou and all thy city meet them there, and we will receive them into our bosom, and they shall see us; and we will fall upon their necks, and they shall fall upon our necks, and we will kiss each other;"

I love this triumph in Doctrine and Covenants, several verses at the end of section 128, starting with 19:

"Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of gladness! A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of truth out of the earth . . . glad tidings of great joy . . . Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them! And again, what do we hear? Glad tidings . . . Moroni, an angel from heaven, declaring the fulfillment of the prophets . . . shall we not go on in so great a cause? . . . Courage . . . Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing . . . anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel . . . the prisoners shall go free. Let the mountains shout for joy . . . tell the wonders of your Eternal King!"

For the New Testament, I think the one in Romans that Listener and Hiz quoted was really strong for me several years back -- healed me. :)

In the Old Testament mine would be...1 Samuel 3:3-14...thats a great section there talking about the Lord calling Samuel and he did not hear...on a side note....reminds me of people sleeping in church...LOL!!!!

in the New Testament....Matthew 11:28-30...this is a pick me up on those days I feel down

In the Book of Mormon its in Mosiah where King Benjamen is teaching his people.

I would add one of my favorite non-scripture quotes from Gandhi and is best understood from the background of the quote. Gandhi was traveling and at a village where he stopped he was pressed to give a sermon. He refused and was pressed the more – to which her continued to refuse. Finely in desperation the people pleaded asking: “Have you nothing to say to us?”

Gandhi then responded, “I am my sermon”.

It is also said – “What you do thunders so loudly, I cannot hear a word you say”.

It is good to be able to quote scripture - it is greater to live and be scripture.

The Traveler

I have so many favourite scriptures that it's really hard to choose but this morning I'll go with:

OT - Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson they shall be as wool.

NT - 1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels and have not charity I am become as a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.

BOM - Mosiah 2:17 I tell you these things that you may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

Tomorrow I may have different favourites - it's like with hymns. I think my all time favourite is "I Stand All Amazed" but some days I love others equally if not more.