"Hearing the Voice of the Lord"

Hemidakota

Book review: Meridian Magazine :: Books: How Does the Lord Speak to Us?

A snippet from the book:

Throughout this chapter and the previous one on the still small voice, we have included numerous quotes of those who have been sustained as prophets, seers, and revelators. Some of these have come in the body of the text. Others were displayed as separate quotes. From these we will extract a few descriptive phrases these brethren use as they talk about the still small voice and the voice that comes into our minds and hearts. We will not try to further define what these phrases mean but will let their words stand on their own. In all cases, “it” refers to the voice of the Lord.

Joseph Smith:
  • It yields the fruits of the kingdom.
  • If our hearts are open it brings conviction.
  • It whispers consolation to the soul.
Boyd K. Packer:
  • It caresses gently.
  • It is a sweet, quiet voice of inspiration.
  • It comes more as a feeling than as a sound.
  • Pure intelligence can be spoken into the mind.
Joseph Fielding Smith:
  • It can be as deep and meaningful as anything tangible.
  • It is penetrating.
Spencer W. Kimball:
  • It comes as deep, unassailable impressions that settle on the mind as dew from heaven.
  • They are deep feelings.
  • It is an impressive consciousness of direction from above.
Dallin H. Oaks:
  • It can take the form of enlightenment of the mind.
  • It can come as positive or negative feelings about how to act.
  • It can uplift our emotions.
Harold B. Lee:
  • It is not audible to our physical hearing.
Joseph B. Wirthlin:
  • It enters quietly into our mind and heart.
  • It is so simple and precise we assume it is our own idea or a passing thought.
  • As we reconcile these whisperings to what we know to be true, we learn to recognize them.

Guest tomk

Hemi:

In saying this, I seek not to "toot my own horn" -- although it can seem to come-off that way.

I just want to say -- I know these things are true. The Voice of the Lord is REAL -- and it is all the things you say it is in your post on that book.

God is willing to reveal Himself to us. Very intimately.

Tom

Guest tomk

It is so simple and precise we assume it is our own idea or a passing thought.

This is very powerful. As a software developer, I experience this DAILY. I have to maintain my humility and be very thankful for the help I receive, for it is easily mistaken as "my" own thoughts.

My rationale is -- don't take credit for anything "neat" or "insightful" or even "brilliant." Give the credit to the Lord anyway. You can never go wrong doing this. It requires a change in perpsective and a reduction in pride...but as more is received with thankfullness MORE is given. It is a joyful way to live life!

I distinctly remember an experience I had. I was in the Temple with my girlfriend (at the time), and I was there with a specific question as to whether or not she was the one for me. I remember thinking, "She's the one I want, is this correct?" I happened to look over and see her and this loud deep voice (not my own) said YES!! That was it. I knew from then on that she was the one. I know it wasn't my voice because I know what the voice in my head sounds like. I will never forget that moment.

I've had some moments when I have listened and done what the prompting/still small voice has said and it has been so obvious from the outcome that it was from the Lord. There have been other times when I've just shrugged it off as a passing thought and not acted - and regretted it. I hope eventually to learn not to do that.