Flowers on a first date?

Jbs2763

I once heard a young lady agonizing over what to do for a first date: She didn't want to eat since she felt like she was obliged to get just a sald, or look like a pig, and she didn't want to go to a movie since you just sit there in the dark and don't get to know the person.

She never came up with a satisfying idea, although I suggested a group date like bowling and/or supper at a dinner theater place. Like a mystery or comedy dinner theater.

Any other ideas.

Oh, I didn't get my wife flowers on the first date, but I do all the time since, and grow lots of flowers for her. I used to send flowers to her work all the time, and got her an orchid corsage for our dates.

Girls! lol

On my first date with my ex girlfriend she ordered something cheap and didn't eat a lot because she didn't want to eat in front of me and seem like a pig!

No salads! No ordering after me to get something cheaper, and if you clean your plate you'll have my respect, not my disgust!

Girls! lol

On my first date with my ex girlfriend she ordered something cheap and didn't eat a lot because she didn't want to eat in front of me and seem like a pig!

No salads! No ordering after me to get something cheaper, and if you clean your plate you'll have my respect, not my disgust!

I was taught that you wait until the other person has ordered to see the price range they are looking at spending. Then you order something of equal or lesser value. If you have a difference of opinion on this your date needs to be informed such as "Get whatever you want, I'm here to spoil you a bit tonight."

Also, meals today at restaurants are HUGE. Not everyone will be able to clean their plate. It's perfectly okay to feel full and then box up the rest. If you want her to clean her plate at dinner ask her to eat a light lunch so she'll be hungry enough for it. "We're going to "such and such" where the meals are pretty big, so you might wanna eat a light lunch."

Though I do agree that it's silly to worry about feeling like a pig. It's the way that you that counts more. You can be eating a salad but if you are eating it in a rude fashion (noisy, giant bites of doom, mouth open) you look like a pig.

Guest GhostRider

I have done the "I am spoiling you tonight" with a girl..what did she order? kids meal buffalo chicken strips...no joke...at a steak house of her chosing...and to set the tone I ordered the sirloin..she told me later that she alswys got the buffalo strips cause she liked them. And to save room for the chocolate cheesecake they had! had a good laugh about it years later and still to this day.

If your date has a sence of humor try this one. "You have a choice of fine restraunts to go to.. Outback, The great scottish place... Micky D's (McDonalds nickname in most places), Kings (burger king) Long Horn, This great mexican place..Something Bell, or Red Lobster." If she laughs at your feeble attempt at humor then tell her it was a joke on the board by some dork named Ex...lol....

I um...am gonna use that one when I get to see MG soon...my luck her oldest will catch on really quick! darn the brains of 11 year olds!

• 2 months later...

I'd like a girl to bring me flowers :huh:....oh, you mean a guy bringing a girl flowers? :P Actually, I'd prefer chocolates, those dark chocolate ones with the creamy centers! :) Or is that taboo too? So many rules. Is there a book on these here rules? :rolleyes:

Heck and tarnation, with me I'd just settle for someone liking me enough to go out on a date with me. :eek:

I think it all comes down to what the guy is saying with the flowers. Usually if they're given on a first date it would seem like he's JUST trying to make a good impression (debatable of course depending on how well you know him). Getting flowers on a second date seems much sweeter. I'd take it as him saying, "I really enjoyed our first date! I'm giving you flowers to make sure you know of my growing interest in you, not just trying to score points with a first impression."

LOL...Flowers?

I read all the posts above. Did any one noticed that almost all the girls spoke in past tense when it came to the guy who brought them flowers?

I guess in the long run it makes no real difference. I tended to be more utilitarian when it came to dating. For me it was an opportunity to get to know the girl away from my friends and her friends and all the rehearsed role play that takes place in groups. It was a way to ask relevant and pertinent questions about her and gauge whether she was reacting from a script-every-body-is-on-his/her-best-behavior type answers or not. I think primarily I was hoping to find out if I could like the girl enough to be my friend. After all, you'd do anything for a true friend. That appealed to me.

"It is wise to fall in love with your friends. After all, you know everything about each other and still like each other. Only fools fall in love with strangers. Who knows what you may be getting yourself into..."

My grandmother.

There's nothing wrong with flowers on the first date, a rose, a reasonable bouqet, whatever. Why would it be creepy? Any creepier than opening a car door for your date, or telling her she looks pretty? We seem to be losing our sense of "class". Maybe because males are afraid to...be male anymore. A flower doesn't mean you want to get married in a week, or that the guy is a stalker, it's just a statement of appreciation and a sign of respect. (Thus spoketh O43...)

O43

Edited by Over43

Don't give roses on the first date -- it can come across as creepy, but it's just so unimaginative and uncreative. A single flower (of a variety other than roses or carnations) shows that you want to impress (or at least make a good impression), but that you have a brain. I say no to carnations because I think they're funeral flowers. If you have access to fresh flowers (like mom's garden), fresh-cut will be even more thoughtful.

Also, if it took you several tries to get the date in the first place, or it was like pulling teeth, I'd pass on the flower altogether on the first date because she probably said yes to get you off her back. See how the first date goes then maybe get a flower for the second.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit shocked that people think flowers on a first date are creepy. The few times I got them, I thought they were lovely.

Hmmm....do you think it's because I'm over a century old?

sigh . . . .

Elphaba

What kind of flowers did they have back when the conifers were being replaced by deciduous plants?

:D

• 2 months later...

What is wrong with flowers? I wouldn't turn them down on a first date. In fact, I've been given flowers by someone guy just walking down the street and I didn't find it creepy, I thought it was cute. Also, once I was riding the bus and had just bought flowers for my grandmother. I took on and gave it to this guy sitting with a girl (obviously girlfriend) and told him to give it to her. He did and it was cute and then we all started chatting and it was nice. Nothing creepy or annoying, just some nice sharing and it was great.

Well,as a guy, how would you feel if the girl you are taking on this first date brought you flowers?

I've done both when dating, and having flowers or not had no impact on how long we actually dated. I didn't bring flowers for the first date I had with my wife. But we also didn't date for very long before we got married.

Flowers are great. My husband often buys me the wildflower bouquets you can get at the grocery (he also buys groceries! Hubba hubba!).

When we were dating, he'd bring flowers, or Pop-Tarts. Either way, a gallant gesture.

yeah...but were they frosted strawberry Pop-Tarts?! cuz everyone knows those are the only *real* Pop-Tarts :lol:

Well,as a guy, how would you feel if the girl you are taking on this first date brought you flowers?

I've done both when dating, and having flowers or not had no impact on how long we actually dated. I didn't bring flowers for the first date I had with my wife. But we also didn't date for very long before we got married.

third bunch he has ever bought me should be due in April lol

-Charley