A History of the Manti Utah Temple

417

The Manti Utah Temple is the third operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is considered one of the four original Pioneer Temples.

On June 25, 1875, the building of the Manti Temple was announced. The site for the temple was Manti Stone Quarry, a large hill in the area. It had been prophesied numerous times since the beginning of settlement in the area that this would be the site of the temple. When Brigham Young announced the building of the temple he also announced that the 27-acre plot would now be known as Temple Hill.

The temple was completed in 1888 and a private dedication was held on May 17, 1888, with the dedicatory prayer given by Wilford Woodruff. Three public dedications were held on May 21-23, 1888, and were directed by Lorenzo Snow.

Throughout the years, the temple underwent various remodelings and renovations. There was once a tunnel that went under the east tower of the temple but it has now been closed off. A great stone stairway was started in 1907 that led to the doors of the temple. In 1935, the temple was fully lighted at night for the first time. In 1940 the stairs were removed and work began to beautify the grounds. Between 1944 and 1945 the annex, chapel, kitchen, Garden room, and men’s and women’s areas were all remodeled.

In 1981 it was decided that the interior of the temple needed to be extensively remodeled. Renovation took four years; murals were restored, original furniture was also restored, offices were enlarged and remodeled, a separate door was made to the baptistry, water and weather damage were repaired, an elevator was installed, and locker rooms were improved among many other projects. Rededication ceremonies were held on the 14-16 of June 1985 with Gordon B. Hinckley directing.

To read the entire article: Mormonwiki