Missions

aikenfan

Originally posted by Snow@Dec 31 2004, 01:17 PM

And on the other hand if is more likely that Bishop is a good man trying hard to do the right thing. More likely isn't a certainity however. Likewise a store owner would exclude a kid from his store if the person telling him/her that the kid was a thief had more credibility than the kid and his mother. There is probably a reason why the store owner gives more credibility to the idea of thiefitude than not. How much credibility do you give to some one that believes that men live on the moon - someone who thinks that those who disagree with her are EVIL - someone who thinks that the Church commits EVIL because she mistakenly thinks that young adults can't get your endowments unless and until they go on a mission - someone who claims that she is sickened because Spencer jokes that California is earthquake prone? - and so on.

That is to say - Peace/Amillia cannot be trusted to reasonably describe reality.

By now everyone here knows you are obsessed with Peace. Tell us a little about what you and Peace had going on. It would really be enlightening to know what kind of fun you two were having behind the scenes and why you can't let her go.

Aiken,

I suggest that if you don't fully understand why you bishop has made this decision, you go to him and ask for clarification on the matter. Perhaps the bishop doesn't understand your whole situation and he may change his mind if he knew more of what is going on or could give you advice on what things need to be done to get your daughter on a mission. If, after you meet with him you still don't understand, I suggest you go to the Lord to help you understand the situation. If you still feel the bishop has made an incorrect decsion, then perhaps you should seek the counsel of your stake president.

As a general aside for the rest of you, you need to lighten up on Snow. What's up with you guys, did you lose your sense of humor over Christmas? The guy makes a joke and you all freak out as if he were in on some plot to kill the pope or something. And it doesn't take much reading to figure out that he is of the male sex, his posts are some of the manliest here besides mine. ;)

There seems a distinct lack of information on the event discribed to allow an informed opinion on the sanity of the bishop.

Perhaps there are other reasons the sister has been rebuffed from a mission call but she cannot bring herself to admit them to her parents so uses the old, "bishop is a misguided madman" line to explain it away.

I struggle to believe that a bishop would reject a missionary application from your sister if the facts are all you have shared. I've known lots of people who were the only members in their family who have gone on missions, they certainly didn't have a spiritually supportive family base at home to help them prepare. Yet still managed to go.

I've also known missionaries to come from full active member familes to have a less than spiritual preparation.

I struggle to believe that a bishop would reject a missionary application from your sister if the facts are all you have shared.

yes the facts i have stated are all that there is.... i have struggled myself with why the bishop said that....

i know very little about missions... any good links to some websites where i can learn more??

Originally posted by aikenfan@Jan 7 2005, 03:34 PM

yes the facts i have stated are all that there is.... i have struggled myself with why the bishop said that....

Have you spoken directly to the bishop in a calm and reasonable manner to see if he can explain his decision? Second hand information via an aggrieved party is not always 100% accurate. Perhaps there is more to this tale than you are aware of.

Originally posted by aikenfan@Jan 7 2005, 03:34 PM

I struggle to believe that a bishop would reject a missionary application from your sister if the facts are all you have shared.

i know very little about missions... any good links to some websites where i can learn more??

stop looking for links to websites.

are you looking for an answer or material to fuel discontent? with an issue such as yours, you're not going to find an "answer" on the internet, only uninspired speculation. as scary as it may be, get off the internet and go talk with your bishop for clarification, voicing your concerns. then, if you honestly feel something is still amiss, you should talk to your stake president. ultimately, however, i think the responsibilty of your son's girlfriend's sister serving a mission lies with herself. so, perhaps she should be the one to do these things.

stop looking for links to websites.

i asked for links so i could gain more knowledge of missions, missionarys, etc.. for my own personal knowledge.... i have let the situation with the bishop go....everyone else seems to know so much, not just here but in my church also so i wanted to do some research and learn all i can about all aspects of the church but just asked in here about that pertaining to mission and missionary work....i really wanted to know where at all i could go for more info, not just websites...and suggested literature that anybody suggests or vidoes, anything..

are you looking for an answer or material to fuel discontent? with an issue such as yours, you're not going to find an "answer" on the internet, only uninspired speculation. as scary as it may be, get off the internet and go talk with your bishop for clarification, voicing your concerns. then, if you honestly feel something is still amiss, you should talk to your stake president. ultimately, however, i think the responsibilty of your son's girlfriend's sister serving a mission lies with herself. so, perhaps she should be the one to do these things.

as i said, the info i was asking about is not to add anything to the situation but for my own personal desire to learn as i have stated before i am a fairly new convert and dont know of all the resources available....

i am not pursuing the situation with the bishop, i was just curious as it made me confused....

yes she should be doing those things, which is why i am not.....

Originally posted by curvette@Dec 30 2004, 04:59 PM

<<the BISHOP said that because my son and GF werent married, have a child and were living with her mom and sister that it wasnt possible for the holy ghost to be present in the household, therefore makig the sister not "worthy" so it looks like no mission for her....>>

That is ridiculous. That Bishop may as well tell people who live in apartments that the Holy Ghost can't be present there because some of the tenants cohabitate. Besides, I assume that the mother encourages the kids to get married. She's probably just making the best out of a "less than ideal" situation. I'm sorry that their bishop is being so self righteous. It happens.

It reminds me of Joe McCathy's tactic of guilt by association.