Holy Ghost gone for a time?

gusrod78

I'm preapring the lesson nr 7 on the Holy Ghost for sunday but in one scripture Jesus says that He will send the Holy Ghost. Joh 14:26.

Had the Holy Ghost been gone while Jesus was on the earth or since when wasn't the Holy Ghost there.

Or does it just mean that the Holy Ghost was on the earth (since people could gain testimonies of Jesus' words) but it was the apostles who at the time didn't need the Holy Ghost being in the presence of ths Son. Peter's testinomy wasn't gained thanks to the Holy Ghost but thru "my Father wich is in heaven"...

Any comments?

The power of the Holy Ghost was on the earth. However, the GIFT of the Holy Ghost was not given to the people until later. Peter had a testimony given of the Father, when he proclaimed that Jesus was the Christ. Yet, later, the resurrected Christ told Peter, "when ye are converted, strengthen thy brethren."

They had testimonies, but they were not sealed up by the baptism of Fire until the day of Pentecost.

Good point there about the day of pentecost. Really clarified things for me. Now I guess a follow-up question....had the Gift of the Holy Ghost ever been on the earth before pentecost? Adam was baptized so he must have haf the gift of the holy ghost on him? In that case when and why was it taken away?

The Gift wasn't take away. It is given to those who are ready to receive it. The Jews had fallen into apostasy. The Mosaic Law, which was to guide people to the Messiah, had been politicized and changed. The position of temple priest was made an appointed position by the Maccabees (John Hyrcanus), and not given as it was once in more righteous times. Also, the confirmation of the Holy Spirit (Gift) was never a part of the Aaronic Priesthood and its outward ordinances.

Christ restored the gospel in its fullness. He brought back the Melchizedek Priesthood and the ordinances therein, including confirmation for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.