Questions, Questions,Questions

twinbrother

Hello to All,

I have been recently reading the Book of Mormon in hopes I find of it's truths. I have four children who are practicing their faith, and I have never kept them from doing so. In fact, I have always encouraged them. Those around me since 1997 have been trying to convert me and I have yet to feel it in my heart of these truths. The Father above this New Year has heavily put into my heart that I should make an honest effort in finding these truths for myself. I have been raised with Catholic beliefs and principles my whole life, which I feel is the underlying factor as to why I have not found these truths. One thing I know for certain is that the most important thing is to Love our Father above with all our hearts, minds, souls, and strength!!!! One must have a most sincere personal relationship with Him first in order to reciprocate His love and blessings to others you may cross paths with. By making Him our priority, we are then able to Love others as He loves us!!!!

I am a God fearing man who knows of His love, mercy, grace, blessings, protection, and guidance, that I fear that if I convert and these teachings of the Book of Mormon are not true, I will most certainly be judged for this. We after all, have to face His judgment when He sends his Son for all of us, on our own. We are all His children that He loves so dearly!!!

Edited by john doe
fixed spelling of 'Mormon'

Welcome. We'll be glad to help you understand the church. I agree that the most important thing any of us can do is to develop a personal and loving relationship with God through his Son Jesus Christ. I do not think God will harshly judge us for trying to do our best. Instead, as we learn to trust him, he will guide us a little at a time to greater truths and light, where we can understand him better.

If I may make a suggestion?

Read 2 Nephi 9-10 (This will help you to understand what we believe concerning the Atonement.

Mosiah 1-5 (This is one of the greatest sermons of all time)

If it is true, God will manifest it unto you. Moroni 10: 4-5

And as a newbie here myself; welcome.

I think the 2Nephi 2 is a good one for a Catholic to read. :)

To the OP, Welcome. And good luck. I always believe in line upon line, precept upon precept... take it slowly and ask if you don't understand something.

Welcome from a former Catholic convert, just a couple of months old in the church. There is another more recent Catholic convert and maybe 2 other people who've said they were/are Catholic. I don't recall if they've converted. You are not alone.

May I suggest: 'Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest' by Eric Shuster? I found this to be an excellent resource while I was investigating, and put things in perspective for me in a way that my missionaries were unable (not to knock them, but they are born Mormons with no knowledge of Catholicism, especially not enough to knock heads with me and 12 yrs of Catholic school.

All I can advise is to enter your readings and prayer with an open mind and heart and see where that gets you.