Differences between the Bible and Book of Mormon

apexviper13

I'm not talking about what they teach, I'm talking about the actual wording, grammar, and things of that nature. What differences do you see? For me, I notice in the Book of Mormon you see people such as Nephi and others saying "I" indicating 1st person. In the Bible you see things written in 3rd person such as John 3:23-27

23 And John also was baptizing in Enon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

24 For John was not yet cast into prison.

25 Then there arose a question between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purifying.

26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

Notice the 3rd person narrative in these verses? Then take a look at 1 Nephi 1:1

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

A 1st person perspective.

Is there anything else anyone has noticed in the scriptures in regards to wording or grammar or things of that nature?

is the differences in what they teach not important as well?

Chemistry and mathematics is important , but sometimes one just wants to narrow the topic of discussion a touch more finely than "Anything and everything of import." Unless you are trying to suggest that such relates to the third versus first person accounting of events?

I'm not talking about what they teach, I'm talking about the actual wording, grammar, and things of that nature. What differences do you see? For me, I notice in the Book of Mormon you see people such as Nephi and others saying "I" indicating 1st person. In the Bible you see things written in 3rd person such as John 3:23-27

23 And John also was baptizing in Enon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

24 For John was not yet cast into prison.

25 Then there arose a question between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purifying.

26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

Notice the 3rd person narrative in these verses? Then take a look at 1 Nephi 1:1

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

A 1st person perspective.

Is there anything else anyone has noticed in the scriptures in regards to wording or grammar or things of that nature?

Assuming traditional authorship is right, you have your Johns mixed up. Try comparing Nephi rather to Nehemiah or Daniel.

Many of the books of the Bible were written by later scribes, etc, and so were in the third person. Even many of Paul's epistles (written in the "I" first person) actually state they were hand written by others.

So, comparing the BoM to just John is an incomplete description of the Biblical story. Yet, where Mormon writes his abridgment, it often changes from first person to third person, except in the discourses given.

Bible examples of first person:

Ecclesiastes 1:

13And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

14I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is avanity and vexation of spirit.

Isaiah 6:

1In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

Jeremiah 1:

6Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

Romans 1:

8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

9For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

10Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.

I think you can see the first person from these examples.

Now for third person in the Book of Mormon:

Mosiah 1:

1And now there was no more contention in all the land of Zarahemla, among all the people who belonged to king Benjamin, so that king Benjamin had continual peace all the remainder of his days.

2And it came to pass that he had three sons; and he called their names Mosiah, and Helorum, and Helaman. And he caused that they should be taught in all the language of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their fathers, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord.

So, we actually see that both the Bible and Book of Mormon are similar in this respect.

Scholars have said the gospels weren't written by the apostles themselves and going by how they read it makes sense. We had a discussion in my NT class the other day and the instructor asked us to give our theories on why the 4 Gospels contain different things. Mine was this: it could have to do with the apostles scattering and teaching the gospel. People that heard the apostles teach could have written down what they taught. Some of the scribes might have written down things they felt was most important such as Matthew containing the birth of Christ while not all the gospels have this. In fact, the book of Mark was written before Matthew. Something else I see is Mark 5:7

7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

Could the bold "most high God" have something to do with our belief of exaltation? Read those words and think about them carefully.

But of the Bible locations listed, over half have not been found. And most of it occurred in an area smaller than Texas, versus the size of two continents for the Book of Mormon. And we have found definite sites in Arabia for Nahom and Bountiful for the BoM, and tentative places for it in America (depending on whose theory you use).

Another difference is the bible lists actual geographic locations most remain to this day the BOM however does not other than stating it takes place in the "Americas".

The Book of Mormon lists multiple geographic locations, quite a few of which (probably the majority) can't be correlated to points on a map. But narratively speaking saying Zarahemla isn't any different than saying Jerusalem. And while it does list geographic locations, unless one is counting the introduction and brief explanation (which is not part of the original narrative) the Americas is not one of them.

Side note: The Book of Mormon lists multiple Biblical locations, not all of which come from Nephi's quoting of Isaiah.

Edited by Dravin

The Book of Mormon lists multiple geographic locations, quite a few of which (probably the majority) can't be correlated to points on a map. But narratively speaking saying Zarahemla isn't any different than saying Jerusalem. And while it does list geographic locations, unless one is counting the introduction and brief explanation (which is not part of the original narrative) the Americas is not one of them.

Side note: The Book of Mormon lists multiple Biblical locations, not all of which come from Nephi's quoting of Isaiah.

It doesn't say the word "Americas" but it is talking about it in regards to the promised land just as there are verses in the Bible that point to the Americas. My favorite find is that of Nahom.