A further witness of God and a way that he speaks to us.

riverogue

In my speedy path through atheism, I opened myself up to study a little about other religions and how they are interconnected. I also studied, enjoyed, and have previously agreed with the philosophy of transcendentalism, and learned about figures such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Thoroue? , and some others. I learned that in ways they were inspired by the writings of Immanuel Swedenborg. Swedenborg was an incredible scientist and a very friendly, humble, and kind man. Eventually the focus of his scientific studies grew around trying to prove the existance of the human spirit through scientific experimentations. After many years he gave up, frustrated and fell into depression. One day circumstances led him to see a vision of God. For the remainder of his life he wrote about 20 large volumes about spirituality and the visions he had of angelic messengers. Yesterday, I began reading his most popular book "Heaven and Hell". The introduction had many parts that struck me. One of them from the intro by Colin Wilson reads, "Science not only destroyed the religious myths, but also their deeper meanings. If man beleives in nothing but the material world, he becomes a victom of the narrowness of of his own consciousness. He is trapped in trivialty. Religion gave man a reason for trying to reach the stars-for creating the magnificent spires and arches of gothic cathedrals, the great masses of mideival composers, the stained glass of the Chatres, the mosaics of Michelangelo. Where there is a distance between heaven and earth there is also a great vault in which the spirit can soar, When heaven descends to earth poetry has to crawl on its hands and knees." Wilson later explains that we do not know whether Swedenborg actually was visited by angels and the things they taught him about heaven are real, but Swedenborg truly beleived that he saw angels, was taught by them, and visited Heaven. Perhaps he was carried away by his imagination. But one impression I felt for sure,"Didnt you know? God speaks to us through our imagination." This I can apply to my own thoughts, imaginations, and desires. I can look at the great works of others, at their love, and faith, and know that there is a god. Recently I had the opportunity to attend the baptism and confirmation of a new close friend of mine. She was impressed with the divinty manifested in the humble beleivers here in comparison to ehere she had moved from. A few months back I had shared my testimony in writing with her despite my own serious doubts. She said that what I had said helped to move her toward her conversion. I found that I found much more peace in promoting others religion instead of tearing it down. I had arrived early to attend her baptism. Do you know what was the most spiritual part of the whole service was to me? It was watching the faucet of the baptismal font turned on and the font filling up with "living water", just as my body felt an upwelling of Gods spirit within me. I know that just as the noble christian god came down to sacrafice himself for us and was a steward for us, we too must must sacrafice ourselves caring for needs and happiness of others. This is a lesson that even an atheist can learn from the atonement. I am glad that I am going back to the followers of Christ.

Though we can't know to what degree, Joseph Smith knew of, and was influenced by, Swedenborg. A number of Swedenborg's theological claims resemble Joseph's, and thus, the Church's.

These include his belief in different kingdom's, a rejection of the Trinity, and the need for works.

However, Swedenborg made other theological claims that are vastly different from, and contradict, the Church's. Some of them were that both the Last Judgment, and the return of Christ, had already occurred.

(I knew of these similarities and contradictions from research I'd done at least a decade ago; however, I did not remember the details and so looked Swedenborg up on Wiki.)

I admit I bring this up because I don't know how a believing Mormon can be inspired by Swedenborg, given so much of what he claimed directly contradicts Mormon doctrine. If his visions were really given to him by God, then God told him one thing, and Joseph another. But, again, there are remarkable similarities.

(ETA: I do not doubt you were inspired, nor am I dismissing that. It just doesn't make sense to me, because 1) of the differences I mentioned above, and 2) I've never experienced it myself.)

Regarding whether or not Swedenborg actually had visions: As an atheist I obviously don't believe he did. However, I have no doubt, whatsoever, that he believed, to his very core, that he did.

I feel the same way about Joseph. As an atheist, I don't believe in a god, and thus, I don't believe a god spoke to him; however, I have no doubt whatsoever that Joseph believed the visions he saw were real manifestations by God. I think the anti-Mormon canard that he knowingly made it all up is absurd.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
Added a clarification.