A new (Jewish) name

Guest saintish

Guest saintish

I was reading some information about converting to Judaism and i found this:

Picking a new name: Have you always hated your name? Well, after getting past the Bet Din, you will have the chance to pick a new Hebrew name. Talk to the rabbi about picking a name that you like; however, you probably passed by some nice names during your days of study. Many choose a name based on a biblical figure that they admired in their Judaic studies. Popular names include Abraham, Samuel, Sarah and Ruth. This Hebrew name will not replace your old one, but it will be added as a second middle name that is referred to at important religious events, such as your wedding or your funeral. Once you pick your name, a prayer will be said, and--bam!--you have a new identity.

How to Go About Converting to Judaism | eHow.com

I found it very interesting that not only is the new 'jewish' name usually a biblical figure it is also usually only used at specific times in ones life. while Jews might not hold there name as sacred as we do i find it interesting anytime there is evidence that elements of temple worship are older than the 1860's

I found it very interesting that not only is the new 'jewish' name usually a biblical figure it is also usually only used at specific times in ones life. while Jews might not hold there name as sacred as we do i find it interesting anytime there is evidence that elements of temple worship are older than the 1860's

Not in this case. I don't mean that the idea of a new name is new to the 1840s, it is biblical. Your example simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Receiving a Jewish name upon conversion is a social custom, not a religious rite. There is actually no halachah requiring a name change or which insists upon biblical names.

Converting to Judaism involves becoming part of a different people and culture, naturally one wants to fit in, hence a name change. Most converts change their name, some use it exclusively, others only on formal occasions.

Hidden

Not in this case. I don't mean that the idea of a new name is new to the 1840s, it is biblical. Your example simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Receiving a Jewish name upon conversion is a social custom, not a religious rite. There is actually no halachah requiring a name change or which insists upon biblical names.

Converting to Judaism involves becoming part of a different people and culture, naturally one wants to fit in, hence a name change. Most converts change their name, some use it exclusively, others only on formal occasions.

Guest saintish

Converting to Judaism involves becoming part of a different people and culture, naturally one wants to fit in, hence a name change.

Perhaps i am creating parrallels instead of seeing one that are already there but, as far as recieving your endowment, you are in a sense 'converting' and 'becoming part of a different people and culture' maybe not to the same extent as someone converting to Judaism but i still think a parallel exists.

Perhaps i am creating parrallels instead of seeing one that are already there but, as far as recieving your endowment, you are in a sense 'converting' and 'becoming part of a different people and culture' maybe not to the same extent as someone converting to Judaism but i still think a parallel exists.

Umm, no, you are still LDS, you would have converted over from another religion earlier, not as part of the temple covenants. At the risk of repeating myself, receiving a new name is not a religious requirement or ritual in Judaism. Indeed, in Second Temple and early Rabbinic Judaism, most converts did not take a new name, such an example being Aquilas the Proselyte.

Names usage varies. In a predominantly Jewish or predominantly religious environment, one is likely to use the Hebrew name almost exclusively. In a more secular Western environment, one is likely to use the original name the most.

This is a social phenomenon, not a religious one.

Guest saintish

Umm, no, you are still LDS, you would have converted over from another religion earlier, not as part of the temple covenants. At the risk of repeating myself, receiving a new name is not a religious requirement or ritual in Judaism. Indeed, in Second Temple and early Rabbinic Judaism, most converts did not take a new name, such an example being Aquilas the Proselyte.

Names usage varies. In a predominantly Jewish or predominantly religious environment, one is likely to use the Hebrew name almost exclusively. In a more secular Western environment, one is likely to use the original name the most.

This is a social phenomenon, not a religious one.

You're taking what i said to literally, obviously you're not converting from one religion to another but you are 'converting' from a lower level of commitment to a higher one. and for that matter recieving a new name isn't really apart of the temple covenants either except that you are not to reveal it.

thats really neither here or there anyway, i still find it interesting to draw parallels to our religion from others, especially regarding the temple.

Guest saintish

I converted to Reform Judaism >20 years ago. My Jewish name is Rebecca (Rivka), though it is typical for female converts to have the name Sarah (Abraham's wife). I never had occasion to it.

reform judaism seems to be the most open to converts, this whole thread started when i learned about the bien noah, I'm not sure why but i find it facinating for some reason, though for the life of me i cant understand why someone would want to be one (unless of course you sincerely believed it was the truth.)

You're taking what i said to literally,

In that case I could draw parallels to the temple with practically anything I could find.

There are such things as invalid or weak parallels. We need to look at context, function, and history before declaring a parallel.

obviously you're not converting from one religion to another but you are 'converting' from a lower level of commitment to a higher one.

Which has little to do with the Jewish custom of name change.

and for that matter recieving a new name isn't really apart of the temple covenants either except that you are not to reveal it.

Actually, I think you are forgetting a very important bit, but I certainly won't go into why the new name is an integral part of temple covenants.

In Judaism there is no religious requirement for changing your name. It is a social custom. It doesn't serve a religious function either, though naturally in places with a high degree of assimilation the foreign-sounding name would tend to be used on formal ocassions and not so much every day life.

thats really neither here or there anyway, i still find it interesting to draw parallels to our religion from others, especially regarding the temple.

I do too, if you looked at my blog that would be apparent, but I don't believe in drawing parallels where none are to be found.