"This is Life Eternal" New Testament Lesson #24

The full discussion can be viewed at Mormon Apologetic Research Studies since the entire article is too big to post here. However, here is the first part of this Sunday's lesson

New Testament Lesson #24 “This is Life Eternal” John 16-17

Study outline:

1. John 16:1-15: Jesus prepares his Apostles for the difficult times that will follow his crucifixion. He teaches them about the mission of the Holy Ghost and promises that they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2. John 16: 16-33: Jesus foretells his death and resurrection and counsels the Apostles to “be of good cheer.”

3. John 17: Jesus offers the great intercessory prayer for his Apostles and all others who believe in him.

Additional Scripture Reading: John 14:16-31; 15:18-27; 3 Nephi 19:19-36; Doctrine and Covenants 132:21-24; Bible Dictionary, “Comforter”, p. 648; “Holy Ghost,” p. 704

1. Jesus promises his Apostles that they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost – John 16:1-15 and John 15:18-20

Question: Why did Jesus Christ strengthen his Apostles? Why did the Apostles need such strengthening and instruction?

Persecution and Martyrdom will befall the Apostles. As we study the ministry of Jesus Christ, and how he instructed the disciples, we learn that Christ referenced how the world would hate them. Not for who they were, or their particular occupation, but the world would hate the Apostles for whom they represent, whom they preached, and whom they call men to believe. John 15:18 states this: If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. We see this evident when we see how the religious leaders of the day came against Jesus Christ. How they tried to trap Jesus Christ with sophistry and cunning words designed to catch Christ in lies, or contradictions. In the end, we know that they were unsuccessful in every attempt and were left with hardened hearts.

Christ also reminded the Apostles that if they were still part of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, as Christ proclaimed, the world would hate and despise the Apostles whom Christ called (See John 15:19). Furthermore, the Savior also reminded the Apostles that because those who opposed and persecuted Jesus Christ, the Apostles would also receive the same persecution that Christ received.

Why would the Apostles receive persecution, even unto death? Because, as we read, Christ taught the disciples that they have not known the Father, nor me. Several times, we read in the New Testament where Christ declared that if the religious leaders truly knew and understood the scriptures, they would truly know who Christ is and whom sent Jesus Christ.

The other aspect of this is that Christ is making a true prophetic statement here. Why would Christ make such a prophetic statement that the Apostles would receive persecution and even be martyred for the sake of Christ and the preaching of Christ? Could you imagine yourself as one of the Apostles, imagine yourself sitting there and hearing how Christ is describing all the dangers that will come upon you, even knowing that they would lay hands upon you and kill you for preaching something that will bring happiness and joy into the hearts and lives of men? How many of us would decide to turn away? How many of us would say “no thank you, sorry, I value my life”.

Despite how we feel, the Apostles were taught what would happen to them, yet were given the promise that the comforter will come, that they will receive further power. We already know that the Apostles possessed the power to heal the sick, to cast out demons, and to administer and preach the Kingdom of Heaven (which is later known as the Gospel message) throughout all the then known world.

We further read that this brought sorrow to the hearts of his disciples, not only because they would be persecuted for preaching the reality that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and savior of humanity, but that Christ, their beloved leader and mentor would no longer be with them. In fact, John 16 contains two prophesies: One being that of the persecution and martyrdom of the Apostles. The second is that which would soon come to pass and that would be Jesus Christ’s own death. In t his sense, Christ was preparing his disciples for what will lay ahead for them. This includes the reality that Christ had to go in order for the Holy Spirit to come and give further power and authority in the lives and administration of the apostolic authority the Apostles already possessed.

Here is the promise that Christ gave his disciples:

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you (See John 16:7).

The Bible dictionary teaches the following about the Comforter:

Two Comforters are spoken of. The first is the Holy Ghost (John 14:16–27; Moro. 8:26; D&C 21:9;42:17; 90:11). The Second Comforter is the Lord Jesus Christ himself. “When any man obtains this last Comforter, he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him, or appear unto him from time to time, and even He will manifest the Father unto him” (D&C 88:3–4; 130:3; HC 3:381). See also Holy Spirit.

We know that the Apostles had the presence of the Savior in their mist. Teaching them, instructing them on their duties and responsibilities, the power they possessed as given by Jesus Christ, and the instructions and commandments that they were to go out and teach, baptize, and make disciples of all nations.

Yet, as we briefly mentioned, because Christ would no longer be present with them, he would send another comforter (since Christ is the first comforter) to further give the disciples power and authority in administering and preaching the kingdom of heaven. What then is the mission of the Holy Ghost? Here we will list some of the things scripture relates to us:

a. Comforts – John 14:26

b. Teaches – John 14:26

c. Brings truths to our remembrance – John 14: 26

d. Testifies of the Savior – John 15:26

e. Guides us into all truth – John 16:13

f. Shows us things to come – John 16:13 (Note: This is where personal revelation is established in scripture. As we seek the counsel of our Heavenly Father, we are promised that through the power of the Holy Spirit, the truth will be revealed to us and we would be able to know and have an idea of what will happen as it pertains to the kingdom and will of God, and according to our own callings, area of responsibility, and station in life.)

g. Glorifies the Savior – John 16:14

Question: Did the Apostles experience the presence of the Holy Spirit in their own lives while Jesus dwelt in mortality, preached, and instructed his disciples?

There is a difference between experiencing the presence of the Holy Spirit, and the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, than there is having the constant companionship and gift of the Holy Spirit in our lives. The twelve apostles experienced the manifestations of the Holy Ghost during the mortal ministry of Jesus Christ. However, it was not until after the resurrection and subsequent ascension of Christ that they were endowed with the Gift of the Holy Ghost as a constant companion in their lives. In fact, we read in John 20:22 that Christ breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost. This brings up a subsequent question: What is the difference between the manifestation of the Holy Ghost and the Gift of the Holy Ghost?

Elder Dallin H. Oaks taught the following:

Manifestations of the Holy Ghost are given to lead sincere seekers to gospel truths that will persuade them to repentance and baptism. The gift of the Holy Ghost is more comprehensive. … [it] includes the right to constant companionship, that we may ‘always have his Spirit to be with [us]’ (D&C 20:77).

A newly baptized member told me what she felt when she received that gift. This was a faithful Christian woman who had spent her life in service to others. She knew and loved the Lord, and she had felt the manifestations of His Spirit. When she received the added light of the restored gospel, she was baptized and the elders placed their hands upon her head and gave her the gift of the Holy Ghost. She recalled, ‘I felt the influence of the Holy Ghost settle upon me with greater intensity than I had ever felt before. He was like an old friend who had guided me in the past but now had come to stay’ (in Conference Report, Oct. 1996, 80; or Ensign, Nov. 1996, 60; Emphasis Mine).

Many are confused as to the difference between having inspiration from the Holy Spirit as opposed to feeling the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Prior to our conversion, one will feel the influence of the Holy Spirit. The promptings, the warnings, the thoughts that would invade our own. These promptings lead true and honest seekers to the fountain of living waters, and to partake of the Tree of Life. Thereafter, when we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, we will have this constant companionship in our lives.

Question: Once we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, how can we ensure that we remain worthy of the Holy Ghost’s constant companionship?

Several scriptures address this question. Acts 5:32 shares this thought: And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. The context of this passage deals with the reality of who Jesus Christ is. The Apostles were commissioned to testify to the reality of who Jesus Christ is – Son of the Living God, Redeemer of Humanity. The Holy Ghost also testifies within us these things as well, and gives us power and authority to testify of those things. Yet, it is only given to them that obey the Father. This is because when we obey Jesus Christ, we are also obeying the Father who had sent Jesus Christ into the world to redeem humanity.

Question: How can we recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) in our lives?

Galatians 5:22-23 gives us the basis to understand the influence of the Holy Spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The influence of the Holy Spirit transforms us from our former life, habits, and perceptions in order for us to adopt new perceptions and habits. When we begin to live after the example Jesus Christ had established in his mortal ministry, we will begin to see the influence the Holy Spirit has over our lives. It is a relationship that is ever transforming. Galatians 5:24 continues the thought by expressing this: And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. And then verse 25; If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. This is how we are able to recognize the influence of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

President Boyd K. Packer taught this principle:

The Holy Ghost speaks with a voice that you feel more than you hear. It is described as a ‘still small voice.’ And while we speak of ‘listening’ to the whisperings of the Spirit, most often one describes a spiritual prompting by saying, ‘I had a feeling …’ … Revelation comes as words we feel more than hear (in Conference Report, Oct. 1994, 77; or Ensign, Nov. 1994, 60; emphasis mine).

The Prophet Joseph Smith, in a dream given to President Brigham Young, taught that the Spirit of the Lord … will whisper peace and joy to their [The Saints] souls; it will take malice, hatred, strife and all evil from their hearts; and their whole desire will be to do good, bring forth righteousness and build up the kingdom of God (Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1846 – 1847, comp. Elden J. Watson [1917], 529).

Much like the Apostles that Christ instructed, ministered too, empowered, and given authority to preach, heal, baptize, call all men to repentance and make disciples of them, he also promised the blessings they would receive when the Comforter, or the Holy Spirit would come upon them and be their constant companion. Today, we must ensure that we are to not only ensure our own personal worthiness to have the constant companion of the Holy Spirit, but learn how to listen to the promptings, recognize the promptings for what they are and not doubt those things. The more we listen and rely on the Holy Spirit, the more we are able to walk in the Spirit and move in all understanding of those things that are true and righteous – despite the persecutions we may face in today’s society.