Captain Phillips Review

Bini

Forum junkies are funny. I bring up an initial observation that very few have an understanding of, then it seems as if they then go to google or wikipedia soon after and are suddenly an expert on the subject and instructing me, which is fine, as often I am hazy on the details.

I applaud the quests for clarification and the pursuit of knowledge, but it amuses me. I suppose I should just be grateful I was able to shed light on the topic and we all come away with a better understanding in the end, just as long as the intentions of all parties wasn't for mere ego purposes.

Yes, Anatess, you're correct, I did miss some points. Somewhere in there, the failed military mission by the U.S. military should be mentioned, as that led to approximately 20 marine deaths and 5000 Somali deaths. Read on that subject and I think you would dislike the "heroic" Black Hawk Down movie as well.

If you're thinking I'm adding info to stroke my ego you're far from correct. I'm adding the info so people reading your post won't assume that Somalian piracy is environmentalism.

When you have movies made by Al Gore who show the ice caps melting and the polar bear dying because people drive SUVs you can understand why I felt the need to add info.

And if you're wondering, I keep abreast of international conflicts because a lot of my family works in Philippine government. I had a short stint in Philippine Congress during the Marcos era when I was a teen-ager and that stuck with me until today. But yes, when I look at international conflicts, my perspectives tend to stay on the political and social side of things, not necessarily military intricacies. But in any case, I did not add the info to put blame on Somalians or Russians or Americans. I added the info so nobody would think the pirates are in the Environmentatlist crowd fighting the Big Bad Corporations and be looked on as heroes.

Edited by anatess

My point was that the waste killed the fish/lobster stocks, not that piracy is trying to save the planet. So the fishermen turned into pirates.

No idea where that assumption that these were Green peace activists came from. Nor, did I blame international companies as the sole problem.

I suppose I assume that the people reading this are aware of the state of Somalia.

Still, I shake my head. Forums are such fun!

Edited by Praetorian_Brow