"THE COAT"

writesong

"THE COAT"

Here's a touching little two (02) minute video recording from your "Mormon" friends at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it happens to be a TRUE story.

For the best effect, please be sure to watch, in "full screen" mode, this video recording of, "The Coat", an official production of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints  (i.e., the "Mormon" church), which was posted at the You Tube web site on Friday 09 December 2011, through the benevolent generosity of the Mormon Channel.

Many, many long years ago - - - , so long ago, I can't even remember what year it was - - - , I was probably nineteen (19) or twenty (20) years old, destitute, and hitch-hiking across the continental United States of America.

As best as I can recall, I think I was in Cheyenne (or maybe it was Laramie?), Wyoming, and it was rather chilly, especially at night.

I had a coat, but I gave it away to another indigent wanderer, a fellow I never knew (and still don't), thinking that I would find employment in Salt Lake City, Utah, and buy a new coat.

But, when I got to Salt Lake City, Utah, I did not find employment, but wandered the streets all night long, for it was too cold to sleep on a bench.

In the wee hours, I stole some food, got arrested, and spent the next few hours in jail, before the court ordered me to leave town.

No, I didn't find a job in Salt Lake City, Utah nor was I able to replace the coat I'd given away until sometime later on, when I was working for the Salvation Army in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

But, while there, I did take the guided tour of Temple Square and learned a little about The Church of Jesus  Christ of Latter-day Saints, which caused me to want to learn more.

Indeed, I vividly remember shivering in the cold night air while looking in a bookstore window at a copy of the Book of Mormon, and thinking,

"Someday, when I'm settled down and have enough to eat, so that I don't owe anyone, I want to read this book and learn what gives these people such great faith, to overcome so much persecution and hardship, and to accomplish so much!"

As a result, I eventually was baptized as a new "Mormon" convert.

Thank you.