Shauna Maylin is a wife, mother of three young children, and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Upon listening to Elder David A. Bednar’s recent devotional given at Brigham Young University, Maylin decided it was time for her to step up and do her part in spreading the gospel.
Elder Bednar’s devotional given on BYU’s campus during Education Week focused on spreading the gospel through social media. On a blog post, Maylin stated she was shocked to hear that many of her Latter-day Saint friends had not heard of Elder Bednar’s message on sharing the good message of the gospel. In hopes to bring others to Elder Bednar’s message, Maylin created a five minute video full of rhymes (posted above).
Maylin writes on the blog that she was unsure of whether she should even take on such a task, but lines and rhymes just kept coming to her. She states:
…my intent for making this video was to be of some service and to help move along the work of the Lord. And whether this message reaches just one person, 100 people, or 1000, I feel honored to be wanted and needed, on any level, as a part of His great plan in bringing forth the restoration of the gospel to all kindred, tongues and nations.
Elder Bednar encourages those who share the gospel online and through social media to keep the following in mind:
- Be Authentic and Consistent
- Make sure your messages are truthful, honest and accurate
- Edify and Uplift
- Share the gospel with genuine love and concern for others
- Be courageous but not overbearing in sharing and defending Latter-day Saint beliefs
- Avoid contention
- Respect Intellectual Property
- Do not use other people’s content (art, music, photos, written words, or name) without permission
- Be Wise and Vigilant
- Be careful about what you post — anything shared on the internet remains in cyberspace forever…even after it’s been “removed”
- Only say and post things you would want everyone to be able to have access to it forever
At the end of her rhyme, Maylin suggests that we “use prayer to gain inspiration, to help spread the good word to get to all nations” and “bombard it with right, and try with all our might to overpower the evil with a much brighter light” as we “fight the good fight, and use all our power to prepare for His coming in this final hour.”
Watch Elder Bednar’s Education Week devotional, To Sweep the Earth as with a Flood, below: