hi im a catholc well convert to be more precise(sry for the useless info i just like to give details) anyway where is where i stand my brother's family are members of the LDS chruch and my nephew happens to be one of my best friends so im interested in the chruch anyway i have to do an english report and i choose joseph smith because and i was wondering if you all could suggest some books for me to read and maybe some websites... btw i just started the book of mormon and am reading and asking god if its true because lately im wondering if i may have made a mistake with catholism because im only 18 and maybe thats too young to choose a religion anyway i just wanted to ask u all to pray that god would lead me to the truth whereever it may be... sry for such a long post

thanks for the site ive seen this one before and it is really good. i found a book at my school libary called "joseph smith and early mormonism" it has a picture of him holding a book im just wondering if u all know if its any good or can recomend some books as i have to have a few book sources as well.

Guest bren1975

I've not heard of that book. There are a gazillion books about Joseph Smith, and not all are accurate. Many were written with the aim to discredit him, and contain lies and twisted truths. If you can locate a Deseret Book Store near you, anything there will be fine, and they will have plenty on him. In fact, you can check out deseretbook.com for more sources.

The best book I've read is "History of Joseph Smith by His Mother Lucy Mack Smith". It's not too long and easy reading.

Hopefully others here will have some more ideas.

Good luck on your report.

Guest bren1975

ok thanks! oh and i have a question about praying about the truth of the book of mormon if you all dont mind answering or should i make a new theard for that

I'm not sure about the rules here, but go ahead. :)

ill admit ive just read a little bit of it and i found it interesting but i havent really had a confirmation of its truth im just wondering what this confirmation feel like and how long does it take to come? sry if i seem like im rushing the process or anything im not im just curious as like i said i want to find truth

Guest bren1975

ill admit ive just read a little bit of it and i found it interesting but i havent really had a confirmation of its truth im just wondering what this confirmation feel like and how long does it take to come? sry if i seem like im rushing the process or anything im not im just curious as like i said i want to find truth

Good question. The confirmation feels differently to everyone. I grew up LDS. So my conviction of the truth of the BoM came little by little over the years. I never felt a "burning" inside, nor have angels spoken to me. My answer comes over and over with a peaceful feeling, and a profound admiration and appreciation for the many men who wrote in the book. I've been teaching a class on the BoM this past year and have discovered new things in it that I've never seen before. They continue to add to the evidence that it's true. It all makes perfect sense. It all fits together. The BoM blends perfectly with the Bible. It clarifies the Bible.

Christ tells us that if we seek, we will find. Ask and it shall be given to us. God doesn't ignore anyone who is seeking the truth as you are. So, as you read, pray. Keep asking Him to let you know. Your answer will come.

It may not come right away. You may have to be patient. He will answer you when He feels you are ready to know. When you have shown God that you are sincere and willing to accept what He gives you. And when you get your answer, you will recognize it. It will come through the Holy Ghost, who's job is to testify of truth.

God is aware of you. He really is your father and he loves you so much. Don't ever forget that.:)

thanks for the site ive seen this one before and it is really good. i found a book at my school libary called "joseph smith and early mormonism" it has a picture of him holding a book im just wondering if u all know if its any good or can recomend some books as i have to have a few book sources as well.

Google had trouble finding that specific book. Here is a link to THE site on Joseph Smith. It's getting going, but in a few years will be the only place to go.

Joseph Smith Papers

HiJolly

Hello Shadowhunter.

I am glad you started reading the BoM and more for knowing that you want to know if it is true or not.

I converted when I was 19 and before that I decided to remain religious less because I didnt believe any doctrine at all. I was curious though about what was true and what was not. I investigated the church for quite a few months. But I took too long because I didnt put much of my effort to know if it was true or not. Back then I cared less what the answer was. But after I started attending and hearing the testimonies from other members I wanted to know it on my own. I read the BoM and the Bible on my own more often. And when I prayed with a sincere heart I received my answer. Just so you know it took me a while to recognize it since I didnt know how it was going to feel. I didnt feel anything I received, what we call, a personal revelation about the church. and I decided to take it as my answer. I got baptized and confirmed a member of the church. Then months later I got a confirmation that my revelation was true. I did the right thing and I feel like I was awarded with that confirmation.

Wish you have a good day. =)

ok oh and i was wondering are "no men knows my history" and "rough stone rolling" any good

Amazon.com: No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith: Fawn M. Brodie: Books

Very well written, but Ms. Brodie reads Joseph's mind post-humously, it's not very compelling from a realistic viewpoint. Considered by 98% of the members of the Church to be a "anti-Mormon" book.

Amazon.com: Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling: Richard Lyman Bushman: Books

Well written by an active Mormon and retired History professor (Columbia, I think). Covers 99% of the controversial stuff from a faithful perspective. The 1% he just doesn't cover. He states it is because of lack of reliable sources, which after reading the book I think I can agree with.

HiJolly