1 Nephi 1-2 - Hidden Gems of the BOM

This is the most recent blog article I have written. Your thoughts, questions and comments are definitely welcomed. Here is an excerpt of that blog article - which can be found here A Latter-day Saint Christian Perspective

The reason why Nephi's heart was softened was because he sought out the Lord. He did not seek out the Lord for selfish reasons, but he did so with a lowliness of heart. Essentially meaning, Nephi humbled himself and in this humble attitude, sought out the Lord and expressed the desires of heart.

This being another very priceless gem of the Book of Mormon. Humbling ourselves before we kneel in prayer, when we approach our loving Heavenly Father and seek his divine counsel, will and desire. Opening our hearts up in this humility - lowliness of heart. And, not only was it because Nephi had humbled himself to approach Heavenly Father, but it was in his youthful faith in believing what his earthly father spoke on that caused him to seek for his own benefit and welfare of understanding. How often do we listen to the Prophets and apostles speak and go into honest faith and humble prayer to know for ourselves if what is being taught is true?

I like what you have written about. It's true.

I love this verse:

• 1 Ne. 2: 19

19 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy faith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.

also:

• Moro. 8: 26

26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.

Questions I ask myself when I read these verses are:

-Why did Christ express it this way? Why does Christ value our diligence and our lowliness of heart while seeking Him?

-Notice the progression:

Remission of sins

brings

Meekness, and lowliness of heart

brings

Visitation of the Holy Ghost, which comforts us

brings

Hope and Perfect Love

which Perfect Love endures by diligence unto prayer [FOR OTHERS]

until the end shall come -- when all the saints shall dwell with God.

Read a bit from your BLOG.

I also have noted in the past that what made the difference between Nephi and Laman was Nephi humbled himself and sought the Lord, asking to have his heart softened towards his father. Nephi's brothers did not.

Thank you very much... definitely caught me off guard as I was reading through. And, as I stated in my blog post, the point is to share what I am coming away with in my readings of the Book of Mormon and the impressions I am seeing.

Definitely different and refreshing.

People often feel like they discover "new things" in the Book of Mormon. Of course that is not accurate. The words are the same, but the needs of the individual change due to lots of circumstances. Just growing older means our needs change. Marrying and having children means our needs (as far as guidance and wisdom) have definitely changed. So different things stand-out to us!

I think what makes "different things stand out to us" is the Holy Ghost. He touches our hearts and pricks our interest in different scriptures...revealing deeper or new meanings from words that we've read hundreds of times. It really is amazing to me how the SAME WORDS can transform according to our needs and desires!!

Thanks -- and keep sharing!

TOM!!!

I had a scripture all ready, cut into clipboard and ready to insert with comment...

Moroni 8:

24 ...repentance is unto them that are under condemnation and under the curse of a broken law.

25 And the first fruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins;

26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer.

If you follow this through these verses, it paints a clear picture of the steps to sanctification.

Read this scripture over many times very slowly and let it sink in.

Note that how we "remain" is through constant prayer (ref. Elder Bednar's latest talk). I don't think it's necessarily speaking about prayer for others (although that's a very good point). I believe if we follow Elder Bednar's counsel for how to pray it will keep us where we need to be. It will help us resist tempation far beyond our own capacity... and that's really what we all need.

Edited by Justice

People often feel like they discover "new things" in the Book of Mormon. Of course that is not accurate. The words are the same, but the needs of the individual change due to lots of circumstances. Just growing older means our needs change. Marrying and having children means our needs (as far as guidance and wisdom) have definitely changed. So different things stand-out to us!

I think what makes "different things stand out to us" is the Holy Ghost. He touches our hearts and pricks our interest in different scriptures...revealing deeper or new meanings from words that we've read hundreds of times. It really is amazing to me how the SAME WORDS can transform according to our needs and desires!!

Thanks -- and keep sharing!

I definitely will keep that in mind. And, as you have stated, it is true. When we come to the same passage of scripture, the application, the meaning and the understanding has a different and real personal revelation to it. There were times when I would find myself so frustrated and open up and there is a scripture I have read many times standing out and the very words coming alive and speaking to my heart and soul. Truly, finding solace in the scriptures is something I miss.

TOM!!!

I had a scripture all ready, cut into clipboard and ready to insert with comment...

Moroni 8:

24 ...repentance is unto them that are under condemnation and under the curse of a broken law.

25 And the first fruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins;

26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer.

If you follow this through these verses, it paints a clear picture of the steps to sanctification.

Read this scripture over many times very slowly and let it sink in.

Note that how we "remain" is through constant prayer (ref. Elder Bednar's latest talk). I don't think it's necessarily speaking about prayer for others (although that's a very good point). I believe if we follow Elder Bednar's counsel for how to pray it will keep us where we need to be. It will help us resist tempation far beyond our own capacity... and that's really what we all need.

I will definitely take a look at that myself, thank you for posting it.... always good to read other's perspectives on the same passages.