Are you a racist!!

bytor2112

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that some people think and choose to act in a way typical of their race.

Or it could be a cultural thing. People tend to think and choose to act based on socialization and cultural influences. Of course, culture is not something that we inherit biologically; it is something that is taught, whether directly or indirectly.

I think for the most part, people choose to act based on their upbringing/socialization/cultures, not race. While certain racial groups follow certain cultures, and it is tempting to believe that a person's racial make-up causes him or her to behave certain ways, it is more likely to be due to external influences. Race is biological; culture isn't. What if a boy of race A is adopted by and raised by a couple of race B, and grows up in an area that is predominantly of races B and C? Chances are, this boy would be more influenced by B and C, than of A. Would you, then, say that regardless of who raises him and where he grows up and learns the socialization process, he would still mostly think and behave like a "typical" person of his ethnic background/race?

For instance, while I was in Denmark and Sweden, I noticed that while the people were friendly, they were very reserved and only outgoing around their family members and friends, and even then, they were still reserved while in public. Would I, then, claim that these people were reserved because of their white race? Of course not! They were probably reserved because of their Scandinavian culture.

Edited by MrsHart

Or it could be a cultural thing. People tend to think and choose to act based on socialization and cultural influences. Of course, culture is not something that we inherit biologically; it is something that is taught, whether directly or indirectly.

I think for the most part, people choose to act based on their upbringing/socialization/cultures, not race. While certain racial groups follow certain cultures, and it is tempting to believe that a person's racial make-up causes him or her to behave certain ways, it is more likely to be due to external influences. Race is biological; culture isn't. What if a boy of race A is adopted by and raised by a couple of race B, and grows up in an area that is predominantly of races B and C? Chances are, this boy would be more influenced by B and C, than of A. Would you, then, say that regardless of who raises him and where he grows up and learns the socialization process, he would still mostly think and behave like a "typical" person of his ethnic background/race?

For instance, while I was in Denmark and Sweden, I noticed that while the people were friendly, they were very reserved and only outgoing around their family members and friends, and even then, they were still reserved while in public. Would I, then, claim that these people were reserved because of their white race? Of course not! They were probably reserved because of their Scandinavian culture.

That is exactly what I was trying to say, but I think you stated it much better. A lot of people seem to confuse culture and race.