Jesus missing from Obama speech

bytor2112

So true....of course that has absolutely nothing to do with the article, but thanks for pointing out the obvious.:rolleyes:

True, they weren't expecting him to preach about Jesus. Still, the article was about the IHS symbol being covered up (along with all other symbols) on the stage behind Obama, with the implied criticism that this makes him un-Christian/not Christian enough/whatever. So yes, I think what I said has something to do with the article! What's the deal with making such a mountain out of a molehill, anyway?

HEP

True, they weren't expecting him to preach about Jesus. Still, the article was about the IHS symbol being covered up (along with all other symbols) on the stage behind Obama, with the implied criticism that this makes him un-Christian/not Christian enough/whatever. So yes, I think what I said has something to do with the article! What's the deal with making such a mountain out of a molehill, anyway?

HEP

I don't personally think it's a big deal. Maybe if the President didn't approve of the religious symbol, he should have spoke somewhere else?

I don't personally think it's a big deal. Maybe if the President didn't approve of the religious symbol, he should have spoke somewhere else?

I don't think the President has any problem with the religious symbol. It was a matter of presentation with flags and all that:

Julie Bataille from the university's press office e-mailed me that the White House had asked that all university signage and symbols behind the stage in Gaston Hall be covered.

"The White House wanted a simple backdrop of flags and pipe and drape for the speech, consistent with what they've done for other policy speeches," she wrote. "Frankly, the pipe and drape wasn't high enough by itself to fully cover the IHS and cross above the GU seal and it seemed most respectful to have them covered so as not to be seen out of context."

Maybe it was unwise given how the press would likely (and did) cover it, but hardly an expression of disdain for religion. Obama is a Christian, after all--why would he dislike Christian symbols?

HEP

Obama is a Christian, after all--why would he dislike Christian symbols?

HEP

Obviously he's an Islamic Kenyan Sleeper Agent. :D

I gotta go with tempest in a teapot, there are reasons to disagree with his presidency, this ain't one of 'em.