Leaders In Washington

Nottingham

Originally posted by Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Do you expect that our political leaders can be held to a high level of accountability, for their actions?

(Is this what you, also, expect?)

The american people get leaders no better that what they can elect. We get what we deserve collectively. Given enough pickup truck driving, tobacco chewing, beer drinking, shot gun totting Bubbas and what do you get? George Bush.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Do you expect that our political leaders can be held to a high level of accountability, for their actions?

What do you mean? Do you mean for their actions as leaders or their actions in their personal lives, or both? I think they definitely should be held accountable for their leadership decisions and the way they conduct themselves concerning their office. As far as their moral conduct in their personal lives, I think they should be held up to the same standard as the average person in society. Obviously Americans don't expect their leaders to be paragons of chastity and virtue because that's not an accurate reflection of our society.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 14 2005, 10:02 PM

The american people get leaders no better that what they can elect. We get what we deserve collectively. Given enough pickup truck driving, tobacco chewing, beer drinking, shot gun totting Bubbas and what do you get? George Bush.

Same thing we said for Clinton. If you can recall someone you'd consider an honest politician in Washington in the last 50 years, you're more optimistic than I am.

<<The american people get leaders no better that what they can elect. We get what we deserve collectively. Given enough pickup truck driving, tobacco chewing, beer drinking, shot gun totting Bubbas and what do you get? George Bush.>>

-Elitest scum. Whats with your hippy leftists and always thinking you represent the epitome of the human race.

Guest TheProudDuck
Originally posted by Cal+Mar 14 2005, 09:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Mar 14 2005, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Ya know, quite a few thoughtful Saturn-driving (OK, so I also have a pickup -- but without Confederate battle flags), Swedish Fish-chewing, premium root beer-drinking, shotgun-proficient-but-not-exactly-"toting" Westlaw jockeys helped elect GW, too. And a bloody good thing it was.

Frankly, if I had to choose between ugly stereotypes, I'd take the Bubba over the pinched-face patchouli-reeking unwashed ANSWER-rallying America-is-the-root-of-all-evil Deaniac any day. Fortunately, the vast majority of people on both sides of the divide don't come anywhere close to the stereotypes.

Originally posted by curvette+Mar 14 2005, 10:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Mar 14 2005, 10:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

What do you mean? Do you mean for their actions as leaders or their actions in their personal lives, or both? I think they definitely should be held accountable for their leadership decisions and the way they conduct themselves concerning their office. As far as their moral conduct in their personal lives, I think they should be held up to the same standard as the average person in society. Obviously Americans don't expect their leaders to be paragons of chastity and virtue because that's not an accurate reflection of our society.

Good point. Obviously, Americans don't expect their leaders to be "paragons of chastity and virtue". But, then again, a few hard-driving vocal citizens, were basically the reason Clinton got impeached, for lying under oath.

And, what was he lying about? His involvement in [then] Sec'y of Commerce Ron Brown's death, during a Trade junket, to China? Over his unconstitutional use of American troops as mercenaries for--and wearing the robin's-egg blue uniforms of--The United Nations? For trying to train-wreck our Social Security System?

No. None of those. It was for his "I-didn't-have-sex-with-that-woman lie".

(It was for his "secret life as a philanderer"!)

That's my take on it, anyway.

There is a faction--a portion, at least--of U.S. Citizenry that expects the highest personal standards, from our national leaders. It is they who don't believe that a person can separate their personal life from what they eventually end up doing (in the decision-making processes) of every other area of their life.

It is "rumored" that Clinton had as many as two dozen (or more) "consorts"--at one time or other--in his Governor's Mansion, while "serving" as govenor of Arkansas, early on in his political career.

(Gennifer Flowers and others can very-well establish this fact).

A person who is morally-corrupt in one area of his/her life, is sure to be unable to prevent that "taint" from spreading to the rest of their "personal well-spring of waters".

(Or, add a few drops of a strong dye--a deep indigo dye, for example--and see if the well-water finds a way of compartmentalizing itself into portions that are "tainted" and those that are not!)

Originally posted by Cal+Mar 14 2005, 10:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Mar 14 2005, 10:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Of course we get what we deserve! We vote them into office, don't we? BUT, we are not automatically "stuck" with them! We can impeach them if they don't act like good little boys!

Oddly--and, my understanding must have been flawed at the time--we can "impeach them without removing them", too! (As was the case with Billary Clinton!)

The beauty of our American system is that we don't have to just sit around and complain about our leaders: we can always do something about it! Not so, in world systems where the Sheik is ruler for life!

Originally posted by TheProudDuck+Mar 15 2005, 07:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheProudDuck @ Mar 15 2005, 07:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Cal@Mar 14 2005, 09:02 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Ya know, quite a few thoughtful Saturn-driving (OK, so I also have a pickup -- but without Confederate battle flags), Swedish Fish-chewing, premium root beer-drinking, shotgun-proficient-but-not-exactly-"toting" Westlaw jockeys helped elect GW, too. And a bloody good thing it was.

Frankly, if I had to choose between ugly stereotypes, I'd take the Bubba over the pinched-face patchouli-reeking unwashed ANSWER-rallying America-is-the-root-of-all-evil Deaniac any day. Fortunately, the vast majority of people on both sides of the divide don't come anywhere close to the stereotypes.

In my true and real opinion, Howard Dean was not "pinch-faced".

Bush, truly, in his own words [if he chose to talk about himself in a defrecating manner], would probably admit that he was alliterate, too, besides being a suburban-cowboy from a 1,000-acre wood....er, ranch.

Caveat: Never sarcasm: ofttimes satire

Originally posted by USNationalist@Mar 15 2005, 04:24 PM

<<The american people get leaders no better that what they can elect. We get what we deserve collectively. Given enough pickup truck driving, tobacco chewing, beer drinking, shot gun totting Bubbas and what do you get? George Bush.>>

-Elitest scum. Whats with your hippy leftists and always thinking you represent the epitome of the human race.

An acquaintance recently said, "What do you get when you cross a Right-wing Texas Baptist with a Pat Robertson Moral-Majority mindset?"

Answer: George Bush

Originally posted by Outshined+Mar 15 2005, 05:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Outshined @ Mar 15 2005, 05:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Mar 14 2005, 10:02 PM

Same thing we said for Clinton. If you can recall someone you'd consider an honest politician in Washington in the last 50 years, you're more optimistic than I am.

Oddly, I was just thinking of that, this very morning.

And, equally as odd, it is George Bush's brother, Jeb--Florida's governor--who comes to mind!

Now, there is a man with a social conscience, thank God!

This is one good and decent man (whose thoughts and actions "spring from" a well of clean water!)

Here is a guy whose social conscience is very, very active: [a man] Who was so moved by attempts to have a "quasi-vegetable-of-a-person" removed from her life support system that he saw to it that a special bill was drafted and passed, to protect her life: from the death sentence of having her feeding tube removed!

Here is a man who so-values human life that he is "champion of the defenseless".

(Your god is proud of you, Governor Jeb, and so am I)

Guest TheProudDuck

Originally posted by Meridiani+Mar 16 2005, 07:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Meridiani @ Mar 16 2005, 07:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--USNationalist@Mar 15 2005, 04:24 PM

An acquaintance recently said, "What do you get when you cross a Right-wing Texas Baptist with a Pat Robertson Moral-Majority mindset?"

Answer: George Bush

Dude, GW's a Methodist, and he has nothing to do with Pat Robertson. Tell your friend to update his stereotype Rolodex.

Guest TheProudDuck

Originally posted by Meridiani+Mar 16 2005, 07:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Meridiani @ Mar 16 2005, 07:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Originally posted by -TheProudDuck@Mar 15 2005, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by -Cal@Mar 14 2005, 09:02 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Nottingham@Mar 14 2005, 08:32 AM

Bush, truly, in his own words [if he chose to talk about himself in a defrecating manner], would probably admit that he was alliterate, too, besides being a suburban-cowboy from a 1,000-acre wood....er, ranch.

I didn't say Dean was pinched-faced. I said that a stereotyped Dean activist was, echoing the stereotype about the tobacky-chewing pickup-driving Bush voter.

Speaking of pickups, if I ever find the slinking $%#$% who dented my Tacoma in the parking garage yesterday and didn't leave a note, there'll be murder done. :angry::ph34r:

By the way, Mer, it's "illiterate" ("Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature" or "Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing"), not "alliterate" ("To use alliteration in speech or writing"). Thomas Monson alliterates absolutely all the time; George W. Bush doesn't to any noticeable extent.

Those prescribed standards of writing can be a bear, I know.

I didn't say Dean was pinched-faced. I said that a stereotyped Dean activist was, echoing the stereotype about the tobacky-chewing pickup-driving Bush voter.

Speaking of pickups, if I ever find the slinking $%#$% who dented my Tacoma in the parking garage yesterday and didn't leave a note, there'll be murder done. :angry::ph34r:

By the way, Mer, it's "illiterate" ("Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature" or "Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing"), not "alliterate" ("To use alliteration in speech or writing"). Thomas Monson alliterates absolutely all the time; George W. Bush doesn't to any noticeable extent.

Those prescribed standards of writing can be a bear, I know.

Sorry. I'm not Meridiani.

But, I'm surprised you "took the hook", with that alliterate thing.

Kind of reminds me of Bush saying that he gets conflabberated, at times, too!

(What's that other word he likes? When his "sources" are wrong, he feels somehow misinformated.)