In Need of Some Serious Advice..

lizinginholland

(just realized i posted this in the Wrong section so im putting it in the right one now lol)

Hi everyone i haven't been on for the longest time! things have been pretty crazy..anyway so the thing i need advice with..

i just turned 19 in May, i have a Job Contract until the first of may 2011 (i'm a Nanny in The Netherlands), then i will be almost 21 (i turn 21 mid may) and i've been Planning on Serving a Mission since i was about 15 and thats been the plan since.

but also during that same time (that may) i could go to college at UVU (work my way to BYU) with my best friend who i've been really close to my entire life. ok a little background as to why i feel going to college, with her and college in Utah in General means something to me. well i moved to the netherlands 5 years ago with my parents (from a little town in Utah) so i was almost 14 when we moved, im grateful we moved because i have had the advantage of learning so many things i feel i would not have learned if i'd stayed, and for the fact that i have gained my testimony here and have a firm faith in Christ. but at the same time, i had to grow up extremely fast living here, and well.. sometimes i just want to be my age for once. and go to college work on my education have the dorm room, and everything experience.. i know it sounds so selfish and wordly, but my education has also become something meaningful to me while living here as well. for the past 5 years i have felt torn between two countries and i have no idea.. its so confuzing but its time for me to go back home it feels like.. anyway, and the church being so close and active there with activities and YSA and just so much more aware of the spirit and Enjoying the gospel that is Very appealing to me. and i kind of just want a break from the struggles of trying to teach people to enjoy and live the gospel here as they are supposed to. I've prayed about moving back to the states this year and felt i should wait another couple until im of age to make another major change in my life, and i also felt and it says in my blessing that i need to help over here. ok it goes into more detail but its kind of personal.

so there is that, thats why i'm staying another few years in the Netherlands, but i can't figure out what to do afterwards.. go to College and i could work on my education and also just take a break from school to go on a Mission. or just go Straight on a Mission...

i want to be a Servant for the Lord, and i know by staying here or going straight on a mission that that would be a way for me to be one. But i also just kind of want a break for a few years to ENjoy the gospel to its full extent! with my Friends and my Siblings ( who all live in the U.S. as well) .. wow this must sound really confusing.

i know i can enjoy the gospel here also on a mission to its fullest but i mean being surrounded with people with the same beliefs and love for each other and i just want to go to a place where people aren't obsessed with all this worldliness where i can be myself and help my family and friends.. i know the church there and everything wont be perfect there but .. i dont know maybe you get what i mean.. sorry this is so long i feel it's really hard for me to discribe my feelings right now.. oh yeah and i forgot to say that going to college i would also feel like a coward running away to feel more comfort in living the gospel.. and not facing the battle head on like i have been... do i deserve a break.. i can't help but think that i don't not after what Christ has done for me.. us. im just kind of confused i know the church says women should get married, and go to college and if they can't do that then go on a mission but its different for every woman based upon what she feels.. i have no idea..

and a Goal to join the U.S. military should fit in there somewhere too.. probably after a mission though but thats not my biggest concern right now.

So if anyone has any Advice for me.. or any guidance or experiences they'd like to share with me that you think might help i would be SO grateful!!!

you have enough "guilt laden plans" to last until you are 35. in your post all i hear is heavy guilt and "shoulds". too many irons in the fire. what gives you joy?

it's not your job to convert the entire netherlands. it's your job to convert you.

Do you have residency to attend college in utah? I don't think you do. or would you pay "out of state" tuition? so i would go to university where you are. it sounds like your retreat to utah is exactly that, a retreat to molly-ville. or a retreat to being 14 and with your "bestest" friend. A developmental delay.

it sounds like a mission would be the best, at age 21, when you are free of your contract. then establish "in state residency" where you would pay tuition, apply and go.

why, exactly, do you want to join the miltary? because at the rate you are going, something has to give. 22 - 2 years on a mission, that puts you to 24ish. one year to establish residency in utah then 4 years of university that puts you to 29. still want to join the military? 4 year tour of duty as an officer in the military- that puts you in your early 30s.

pray about it and look for joy. no guilt or "shoulds".

Edited by ladykemma2

What do you mean by the Residency thing to live in utah, I was Born in Salt Lake and lived in Utah my whole life until up to 5 years ago, i have Duel citizenship.. i dont really get what you mean.. but thank you for the advice :) i appreciate it :)

go look up "in state tuition" and "out of state tuition". most states cost, say 1000 per class or whatever. a non resdient would pay 10 times that or 10,000 per class or whatever.

or head straight for BYU. they don't have the residency requirements, do they?

You will have a chance to go to school after a mission. But, will you have a chance to go on a mission if you go to school first? (you just might meet "him" at school, then it will be very hard to choose to put off marriage and go on a mission)