Moroni 7

Guest Member_Deleted

Guest Member_Deleted

THE BOOK OF MORONI

CHAPTER 7

An invitation to enter into the rest of the Lord—Pray with real intent—The Spirit of Christ enables men to know good from evil—Satan persuades men to deny Christ and do evil—The prophets manifest the coming of Christ—By faith miracles are wrought and angels minister—Men should hope for eternal life and cleave unto charity. [between A.D. 400 and 421]

1 AND now I, Moroni, write a few of the words of my father Mormon, which he spake concerning faith, hope, and charity; for after this manner did he speak unto the people, as he taught them in the synagogue which they had built for the place of worship.

I just want to take each verse individually... this one .. this was a second hand work... Moroni felt it was of such value that he put it into the end of the book... it is powerful and hits upon many important principles

any comments on this verse?

Guest Member_Deleted

CHAPTER 7

2 And now I, Mormon, speak unto you, my beloved brethren; and it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, and his holy will, because of the gift of his calling unto me, that I am permitted to speak unto you at this time.

Gift of his calling unto me... interesting phrase ..

what does this mean? callings are gifts?

Or... is it referring to the gift allowing him to speak?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Please@Oct 15 2005, 08:15 PM

CHAPTER 7

2 And now I, Mormon, speak unto you, my beloved brethren; and it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, and his holy will, because of the gift of his calling unto me, that I am permitted to speak unto you at this time.

Gift of his calling unto me... interesting phrase ..

what does this mean? callings are gifts?

Or... is it referring to the gift allowing him to speak?

NO Answers???

LOL

Guest Member_Deleted

Moro. 7: 3

3 Wherefore, I would speak unto you that are of the church, that are the peaceable followers of Christ, and that have obtained a sufficient hope by which ye can enter into the rest of the Lord, from this time henceforth until ye shall rest with him in heaven.

Okay...peaceable followers of Christ. This is one I really need to understand in the RIGHT context...

Is this a peace within ourselves... through the atonement... or a peaceful person... all the time with everyone around us... or both...

and is there no reasonable situation where one can be not peaceful and still be a follower of Christ?

I'm inclined to think he is stating that he attributes the fact that he has survived through the wars for so long because he was called to perform the works he was doing. So, he views the calling a gift because it has extended his life long enough for him to live up to that point in time. He considers his calling to be from God and Jesus, and that they have protected his life up till that time, and he probably considers his life to come to an end when They feel his mission on earth to be over.

Originally posted by Please@Oct 17 2005, 07:14 AM

3 Wherefore, I would speak unto you that are of the church, that are the peaceable followers of Christ, and that have obtained a sufficient hope by which ye can enter into the rest of the Lord, from this time henceforth until ye shall rest with him in heaven.

Okay...peaceable followers of Christ. This is one I really need to understand in the RIGHT context...

Is this a peace within ourselves... through the atonement... or a peaceful person... all the time with everyone around us... or both...

and is there no reasonable situation where one can be not peaceful and still be a follower of Christ?

I think he is referring to peace-loving followers of Christ. Mormon himself was involved in wars, fighting against those who would kill him because of his testimony of Christ. There is no shame in fighting for truth and right, and to defend yourself against those who would destroy you because of your beliefs. A faithful follower of Christ is always looking for ways to end discord peacefully, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to roll over for someone who opposes the cause of righteousness.

I think it can also refer to the inner peace that comes from obtaining the blessings of the atonement. That would fit in with the latter parts of the verse, where he refers to entering into the rest of the Lord.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john doe@Oct 17 2005, 06:17 PM

I'm inclined to think he is stating that he attributes the fact that he has survived through the wars for so long because he was called to perform the works he was doing. So, he views the calling a gift because it has extended his life long enough for him to live up to that point in time. He considers his calling to be from God and Jesus, and that they have protected his life up till that time, and he probably considers his life to come to an end when They feel his mission on earth to be over.

I like you insights. I never thought of it being the gift of his life being preserved so he could do the work...

thanks! :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john doe+Oct 17 2005, 06:31 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 17 2005, 07:14 AM

I think he is referring to peace-loving followers of Christ. Mormon himself was involved in wars, fighting against those who would kill him because of his testimony of Christ. There is no shame in fighting for truth and right, and to defend yourself against those who would destroy you because of your beliefs. A faithful follower of Christ is always looking for ways to end discord peacefully, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to roll over for someone who opposes the cause of righteousness.

I think it can also refer to the inner peace that comes from obtaining the blessings of the atonement. That would fit in with the latter parts of the verse, where he refers to entering into the rest of the Lord.

Again.. very perceptive... I enjoyed the way you put this message..