What Do You Say?

Franken

Ok, I just need a bit of advice here from people around the board. I got in this situation the other day and I totally had nooo clue what to do. What are you supposed to say when someone at school comes up to you and tells you right up front that they like you, but you know you only like them as a friend?

I felt like a jerk the other day when this girl approached me and said that, I couldn't lie, but I couldn't tell her what she wanted to hear. What should you say if something like that happens? What would be nice and that would make it so you could still be good friends without it being awkard?

Guest &lusername&gt

thats hard. The best way si honestly, with a bit of tackt. doign anythign that might lead her on would be the worst. still be her friend. if its just a simpel crush, she'll prolly get over it. if its a bit more than that it might be hard to be friends. pray about it.

Well I did tell her that I liked someone else and that I was very flattered by her telling me, but I wasn't sure what else to say, I just still felt kind of awful. This usually never happens to me, it's a rare occurence to have someone like me, so it took me by surprise to have a few people at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gilvisto

I am the kinda person who tells someone else.

Crushes come and go... but hiding them only makes them seem bigger than they are...

One of my best friends is a girl who I over timed developed a crush on... when she asked who I like, I told her it was her (and another girl too). She hasn't let that change anything about our relationship... I think it's great.

As for what to say, just say I'm flattered and don't let it change anything...

sorry, you guys are prolly getting sick of my posting all over this thread... lol...

-Val out

Originally posted by Gilvisto@Nov 6 2005, 02:18 PM

I am the kinda person who tells someone else.

Crushes come and go... but hiding them only makes them seem bigger than they are...

One of my best friends is a girl who I over timed developed a crush on... when she asked who I like, I told her it was her (and another girl too).  She hasn't let that change anything about our relationship... I think it's great.

As for what to say, just say I'm flattered and don't let it change anything...

sorry, you guys are prolly getting sick of my posting all over this thread... lol...

-Val out

Yeah that's pretty much what I ended up saying/doing.

Uh don't lie. Don't say she's nice when she isn't. Don't say you like her as a friend if you don't like her. TELL THE TRUTH!

If you think something is off about her and that off-putting thing is the reason why you won't go out with her, let her know. Is she a bit on the pudgy side? Tell her to go workout for a year and then come back to you and if she's thin enough for you, you'll go out with her. I'm not saying she's fat, but assuming that was the reason why you didn't want to date her then tell her. Tell her what she needs to do in order to date you, if there's any possibility for that to occur. Do you want to date Mormon girls? Tell her that she has to be baptized. Etc.

This way saves everyone a lot of time and headaches. And even if she can't lose that weight in a year, let's say it takes 10 years, there's still that chance that some day, someone will knock on your door, and when you open it, you'll see a drop dead gorgeous woman who wants YOU, no matter how pathetic you are!

Originally posted by DisRuptive1@Nov 10 2005, 07:51 PM

Uh don't lie.  Don't say she's nice when she isn't.  Don't say you like her as a friend if you don't like her.  TELL THE TRUTH!

If you think something is off about her and that off-putting thing is the reason why you won't go out with her, let her know.  Is she a bit on the pudgy side?  Tell her to go workout for a year and then come back to you and if she's thin enough for you, you'll go out with her.  I'm not saying she's fat, but assuming that was the reason why you didn't want to date her then tell her.  Tell her what she needs to do in order to date you, if there's any possibility for that to occur.  Do you want to date Mormon girls?  Tell her that she has to be baptized.  Etc.

This way saves everyone a lot of time and headaches.  And even if she can't lose that weight in a year, let's say it takes 10 years, there's still that chance that some day, someone will knock on your door, and when you open it, you'll see a drop dead gorgeous woman who wants YOU, no matter how pathetic you are!

Well it's not any of that. She just is really shy and everything which I've found from experience, me and shy people don't really mix as well personality wise. Also, I was also dating someone else at the same time she said something to me.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Franken@Oct 23 2005, 01:06 PM

Ok, I just need a bit of advice here from people around the board.  I got in this situation the other day and I totally had nooo clue what to do.  What are you supposed to say when someone at school comes up to you and tells you right up front that they like you, but you know you only like them as a friend?

I felt like a jerk the other day when this girl approached me and said that, I couldn't lie, but I couldn't tell her what she wanted to hear.  What should you say if something like that happens?  What would be nice and that would make it so you could still be good friends without it being awkard?

Just say that it is cool that someone feels about you that way... everyone wants to be loved...

Then tell her you value her friendship and are not ready for anything more serious... but that you hope you can still be the best of friends... because she matters to you alot as a friend...