American Soldier

Guest ApostleKnight

Guest ApostleKnight

Awesome book, packed full of info and history you won't find on the BBC or CNN. It's an autobiography of sorts by four star General Tommy Franks, the Commander in Chief of CENTCOM during the Afghanistan "war" on the Taliban and during the war in Iraq of late.

He discusses the development of the war plans for Iraq and Afghanistan, but starts with his childhood in Texas, goes through college times, his service in Vietnam, and his handful of commands leading up to being CinC of CENTCOM (for all purposes, the military planner who reported to SecDef Rumsfeld and Pres. Bush).

I'm always amused/annoyed by people clamoring that Bush or America isn't doing enough, or we're making a mistake with such-and-such deployment, etc... because what makes the average joe on the street or even the exalted CNN think they have access to classified plans only in the hands of a ring of military leadership?

For example, in the book Gen. Franks discusses a secret agreement the USA had with Uzbekistan (good 'ole "stans"), in which the Uzbeks would let US troops move through and planes fly over their country to invade Afghanistan. But nooooo, the USA doesn't have any allies, boohoo! C'mon idiots, the coalition is not all public like. Sorry, had to get that out.

Anyway, check it out if you want some interesting reading on military strategy in recent mideastern wars and declassified interactions between generals, the SecDef, the Pres, and many, many foreign leaders. Good read!

Guest ToasterOfen

Thanks for the book review, ApostleKnight, I'll have to check it out when I get a chance. It sounds really interesting and informative.

I think (IMHO, of course) that a big reason we went to war over there is to try and draw as many terrorists OVER THERE so we don't have them over here, in the United States, killing more and more innocents. Honestly, if our troops weren't over there, drawing their fire, more terrorists would be here, hitting us where it really hurts.

There truly is a bigger picture, and I for one, am so grateful and am endebted to the military for all they do to keep me and my family safe. I am grateful I don't have to worry about suicide bombers driving by on a daily basis, wondering if my me and my kids are going to get blown up on our way to school.

It is over there (relatively speaking) and that's where I'd like to keep it.