Spiritual Gifts Questions D&C 46:15 & 16

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I've been studying up on spiritual gifts, and the wording of two scriptures strikes me as odd. Just wondering if anyone has any insights on these scriptures as there are no footnotes.

D&C 46:16

And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.

Questions

1. What does diversities of operations mean? To me, it means the different ways of getting things done, but that interpretation doesn't fit with the rest of the sentence, starting with "whether they be of God" -- which seems to be talking about miracles or spiritual manifestations.

2. Why the use of the word "diversities"? Sounds vague and too general. D&C 46:15 uses similar language, saying "to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the 'differences of administration'". Again, why the word "differences"? And what kind of administration is it referring to - Church administration, perhaps?

Yeah, interesting. The first thought that came to my mind, was Church administration, and city building. Maybe someone with this gift is able to comprehend the difference between the United Order, which respects man's agency, and the counterfeit order - Communism, for instance.

Not much out there on this topic.

Regards,

Vanhin

Guest mormonmusic

Yeah, interesting. The first thought that came to my mind, was Church administration, and city building. Maybe someone with this gift is able to comprehend the difference between the United Order, which respects man's agency, and the counterfeit order - Communism, for instance.

Vanhin

Interesting -- to build on what you said -- perhaps the scripture is talking about the ability to recognize forms of government and management that are consistent with gospel principles, and those that are not. I think your example of communism vs the United Order is a good example.

• 2 months later...

Hi mormonmusic,

Hope its not too late to share some thoughts on your post.

I actually like the way these scriptures are worded.

1. I believe diversities of operations refers to a knowledge or understanding of the workings of various things. Whether it be of God, or The Plan, or perhaps even the intentions of others.

2. Differences of administration I would say is similar to diversities of operations. To me this means, an understanding/knowledge of the way things are performed in heaven and on earth, or in other words administered. ;)

I believe that there is direct relevance to these two gifts and that is why they are 'grouped' if you will, in verse.

Any thoughts?