Marvel Not

Pianoman216

I was reading through Helaman 5 today and came to the part where angels appear to a the witnesses of Nephi and Lehis miraculous escape from prison and minister to them (Hel. 5:46-49). In verse 49 it says, "And there were about three hundred souls who saw and heard these things; and they were bidden to go forth and marvel not, neither should they doubt".

The phrase "marvel not" really stuck out to me and I have been pondering its meaning for most of the day. We know that the word "marvel" means to be astonished and full of wonder. The word "doubt" means to be uncertain and hesitant. So, it could also be more simply put, "Dont be astonished, but be certain". When I think of being certain, and not astonished I think of the apostles and other great leaders of the church. I think of being calm and passive, but strong, steadfast and full of faith.

So, if we are to take something from this example it is that we should not be surprised when spiritual experiences arise. Dont be astonished when asked about the church by a friend or neighbor. Instead, be doubtless, be steadfast and be full of faith (and what is faith without action?). Dont sit there and do nothing but marvel at your blessings, get out there and use those blessings you have to further the kingdom of God on the Earth! :)

I would love to hear any other interpretations of this passage of scripture. This is just what I noticed and got out of it, so I'm sure there are more perspectives to be had. Please read the passage before commenting if you are not familiar with the story...you know what? Just read all of Helaman chapter 5, its a great chapter! :)

When I read your post, pianoman, my first thought was: marvelling, being astonished is always a matter of expectations (and attitude). And when reading Helaman 5 I heard this voice say to them and to me "change your expectations of what God is capable to do! It is so much more than you could ever imagine! Just let things happen, bo open to see wonders, believe, doubt not!"

"Marvel" and doubt are the primary reasons why people either won't read the Book of Mormon, or why they don't believe it when they read it.

Also, we could get into a discussion about how this comes into play when using science and evidence with scripture, but we've pretty much milked that one dry.