Two Shot at Las Vegas Courhouse Today

theoriginalavatar

Two shot at Las Vegas courthouse

(CNN) -- Two people were shot Monday in the lobby of a federal courthouse in Las Vegas, Nevada, police said.

The shooting suspect was shot and killed, FBI Special Agent Joseph Dickey said.

The incident occurred about 8 a.m., said Barbara Morgan, spokeswoman for Las Vegas Metropolitan Police.

The two victims were a deputy U.S. marshal and a court security officer, according to U.S. Marshals spokesman Jeff Carter.

Authorities were in the process of evacuating the building, Dickey said.

One person was dead at the scene, and two others were transported to University Medical Center in unknown condition, according to Tim Szymanski, spokesman for the Las Vegas Fire Department.

No one else was in the lobby at the time of the incident, police spokeswoman Barbara Morgan said.

A nearby school was on lockdown, said Clark County School District spokeswoman Cynthia Sell.

Nevada Sens.Harry Reid and John Ensign both have offices in the federal building. Ensign spokeswoman Jennifer Cooper said the senator was not there, although the staff was evacuated.

Reid, the Senate majority leader, issued a statement saying his thoughts were with the victims and their families.

"The law enforcement personnel who protect the courthouse put their lives at risk every day to keep the people who are inside safe and I greatly appreciate their service," the senator said.

Troy Saceal told CNN affiliate KNTV that he had just parked his car on the fourth floor of a garage nearby when he heard gunshots.

"I saw some people running out of the building and what looked like security," he said. "It was the marshals, and the whole firefight kind of opened up. It was just blast after blast with a gun."

Saceal said he saw a marshal shot at the corner of the building "and another marshal ran up and covered him up" as police officers began arriving at the scene.

"When the shots kind of subsided, I saw some officers run up and check on that marshal that was apparently hit," he said.

Over about two minutes, he said, he heard 30 to 40 shots.

"It was kind of surreal watching it because I didn't realize what was going on at the time," he said. "By the time I kind of realized what was going on, I just saw people coming out of the building shooting toward the street." He said a building blocked his view of what they were shooting at.

Shortly after the incident, a video was posted on YouTube that appeared to capture the scene and the sound outside the courthouse during the shooting. At least 45 gunshots are heard on the video, with many in rapid succession. The video lasts a minute and 13 seconds.

"Shooting outside of a Las Vegas courthouse," a voice says. "Unbelievable."

The video was posted to YouTube by a user with the name NickyFlips, who wrote on the Web site that he had just exited the courthouse after receiving a jury summons.

"Hell of a morning for jury duty," the voice adds.

CNN's Dana Bash, Lynn Lamanivong, Chuck Johnston, Sara Pratley and Carol Cratty contributed to this report

I'm not too far from there.

Thanks. Physically im just fine, but some of those images just keep replaying in my head. Sad, sad day. It was the most "real" moment of my life.

The great irony here (for me anyway) is that I had just applied with the U.S. Marshals office for employment.

I am not sure if that is a sign, and if so, what that sign is telling me. :eek:

I would be with an agency such as the Marshalls or the FBI in a second if it wasn't for a small hearing impairment that law enforcement get hung up on. Im in a spot where I have some great connections, but they don't like the fact that I can't hear at a frequency that is the same as a dog whistle. Good luck with your application. I think its one of the most rewarding things you could do with your life.

I would be with an agency such as the Marshalls or the FBI in a second if it wasn't for a small hearing impairment that law enforcement get hung up on. Im in a spot where I have some great connections, but they don't like the fact that I can't hear at a frequency that is the same as a dog whistle. Good luck with your application. I think its one of the most rewarding things you could do with your life.

Thank you. I actually have applied with Metro, Henderson, NHP, and the U.S. Marshals.