After Primary: where do 12 yr old boys go?

and what do they do? ;)

I think my son is moving to another group but I don't really get the who, what, when, where and why of it.

He is not baptized.

Can someone clue me in. :) I'm a bit lost with the priesthoods. Can you link me to an article? I tried googling and couldn't find anything with a step-by-step explanation.

I need a flow chart! :D

Thanks so much.

There's got to be something in the Gospel Principles manual.

At 11 y.o., the boys are still in Primary. Then when they turn 12, they move to the Young Men's Deacon's Quorum, even if they don't yet have the priesthood. Every LDS boy I've ever known was given the Aaronic Priesthood when they turned 12.

Later when they turn 18, if they are living the Gospel and honoring their Aaronic priesthood, they are interviewed and presented to the Stake for a vote as to whether they should receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. Sometime in their 18th year, assuming they are worthy & accepted, they are made Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood.

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly

Is he 12 as of today, or will he turn 12 in 2011?

If he is 12 today, then on 1/2 he will no longer attend any primary meeting. The two hours where he would normally meet in primary will now be Sunday School and Priesthood. Depending on your ward's schedule order (sacrament first, or sacrament last), will determine if he will attend Sunday School or Priesthood first. Basically, he will be in Sunday School when you are, and in Priesthood when you are in Relief Society.

If he is 11, but will turn 12 in 2011, then he will continue to attend Primary during Sunday School hour, but will attend Priesthood once he reaches the age of 12.

2. Priesthood meeting (for all priesthood holders, prospective elders, and unordained young men of Aaronic Priesthood age; see 18.2.4) bold emphasis mine

The printed version of handbook 2 has a nice chart laying out the schedule, but the online one doesn't unfortunately. Handbook 2: Section 18. Meetings in the Church

In 2011, the standard curriculum for 12 year old Sunday School is Presidents of the Church, which will walk them through various teachings of past prophets. (next year, as a 13 year old, the curriculum would then be Preparing for Exaltation).

You can read more about the offices of the Aaronic Priesthood in Section 8 of Handbook 2.

Also, see 8.11 Sunday Quorum Meetings For a few minutes, all priesthood quorums (old guys down to 12) meet together to go over announcements, welcome, etc. Then the 12-13 year old boys will meet separately from all others for priesthood related instruction.