Justin Martyr - On Agency and Predestination

Vanhin

I have really been intrigued with the writings of Justin Martyr, the 2nd century philosopher turned Christian, whose works are among the earliest surviving Christian writings of the old world.

In fact, I have had a hard time finding many things that he writes that disagrees with the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, leading me to believe that he was a representation of true Christianity whose dwindling numbers were on the verge of general apostasy. At the very least, he was not far removed from the lines of authority and full fellowship.

His arguments against the growing popularity of trinitarian concept of Godhead, and his compelling arguments for the reality of literal resurrection, are among my favorites. I may post something about those in another thread. But this time I wanted to quote Justin from his "First Apology" to the Romans concerning personal agency and predestination. Here it is.

"But lest some suppose, from what has been said by us, that we say that whatever happens, happens by a fatal necessity, because it is foretold as known beforehand, this too we explain. We have learned from the prophets, and we hold it to be true, that punishments, and chastisements, and good rewards, are rendered according to the merit of each man's actions. Since if it be not so, but all things happen by fate, neither is anything at all in our own power. For if it be fated that this man, e.g., be good, and this other evil, neither is the former meritorious nor the latter to be blamed. And again, unless the human race have the power of avoiding evil and choosing good by free choice, they are not accountable for their actions, of whatever kind they be. But that it is by free choice they both walk uprightly and stumble, we thus demonstrate. We see the same man making a transition to opposite things. Now, if it had been fated that he were to be either good or bad, he could never have been capable of both the opposites, nor of so many transitions. But not even would some be good and others bad, since we thus make fate the cause of evil, and exhibit her as acting in opposition to herself; or that which has been already stated would seem to be true, that neither virtue nor vice is anything, but that things are only reckoned good or evil by opinion; which, as the true word shows, is the greatest impiety and wickedness. But this we assert is inevitable fate, that they who choose the good have worthy rewards, and they who choose the opposite have their merited awards. For not like other things, as trees and quadrupeds, which cannot act by choice, did God make man: for neither would he be worthy of reward or praise did he not of himself choose the good, but were created for this end; nor, if he were evil, would he be worthy of punishment, not being evil of himself, but being able to be nothing else than what he was made." (Saint Justin Martyr: First Apology (Roberts-Donaldson))

Justin could have taught that particular doctrine in one of our sacrament meetings and we all would have said "amen".

Regards,

Vanhin

Sorry, I've been stuck in facebookland posting old mission photos from the Finland Helsinki Mission - it's been great!

I'll just use this same thread. Here's another great quote on creation and the purpose thereof.

And we have been taught that He in the beginning did of His goodness, for man's sake, create all things out of unformed matter; and if men by their works show themselves worthy of this His design, they are deemed worthy, and so we have received--of reigning in company with Him, being delivered from corruption and suffering. -Justin Martyr (AD 150-155)

Regards,

Vanhin