The Testimonies of the Three Witnesses:

LDSChristian

Not the one at the beginning of the Book of Mormon, I mean their actual testimonies:

Oliver Cowdery:

"I was present with Joseph when an holy angel from God came down from heaven and conferred, or restored the Aaronic priesthood. And said at the same time that it should remain upon the Earth while the Earth stands. I was also present with Joseph when the Melchizedek priesthood was conferred by the holy angels of god.—which we then confirmed on each other by the will and commandment of God. This priesthood is also to remain upon the earth until the Last remnant of time."

Martin Harris:

"Do I believe it! Do you see the sun shining! Just as surely as the sun is shining on us and gives us light, and the moon and stars give us light by night, just as surely as the breath of life sustains us, so surely do I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, chosen of God to open the last dispensation of the fulness of times; so surely do I know that the Book of Mormon was divinely translated. I saw the plates; I saw the Angel; I heard the voice of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, I might as well doubt my own existence as to doubt the divine authenticity of the Book of Mormon or the divine calling of Joseph Smith."

David Whitmer:

"To the end, therefore, that he may understand me now if he did not then, and that the world may know the truth, I wish now, standing as it were, in the very sunset of life, and in the fear of God, once for all to make this public statement:

"That I have never at any time denied that testimony or any part thereof, which has so long since been published with that book, as one of the three witnesses.

"Those who know me best, will know that I have always adhered to that testimony. And that no man may be misled or doubt my present views in regard to the same, I do now again affirm the truth of all my statements as then made and published.

"He that hath an ear to hear, let him hear; it was no delusion. What is written is written and he that readeth let him understand. And if any man doubt, should he not carefully and honestly read and understand the same before presuming to sit in judgment, and condemning the light which shineth in darkness, and showeth the way of eternal life, as pointed out by the hand of God?

"In the Spirit of Christ who hath said follow thou me, for I am the life, the light and the way, I submit this statement to the world, God in whom I trust being my Judge, as to the sincerity of my motives and the faith and hope that is in me of eternal life.

"My sincere desire is that the world may be benefited by the plain and simple statement of the truth.

"And all the honor be to the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen."

For testimonies given by some of the 8 witnesses and 11 out of 14 others that saw or felt the Golden Plates visit this website: People That Saw and Witnessed the Golden Plates of the Book of Mormon - Moroni's Unofficial Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Mormon History Page

I think sometimes we tend to underestimate the importance of the testimonies of the eleven witnesses particularly given how they refute so thoroughly many of the commonest objections levelled at the Book of Mormon. I remember that when I first read the Book the testimonies of the Three and the Eight made a great impression on me. Because of the way the publication was set out I came to them before reading either Joseph Smith's account or 1 Nephi. The facts that these events had been witnessed by so many others and testified to with such sincerity definitely helped prevent me simply discounting Joseph's story as a personal fantasy.

A short while after I was baptised I went through a bit of a wobble, thinking 'What have I let myself in for?' About this time the Stake President called me in for an interview (nothing sinister, just a welcome) and while I was waiting to see him I noticed a large picture of the plates being shown to the eight in the corridor outside the office. I remember thinking to myself 'Come on, this is true! They actually saw this!'

Much later I learned more about the individual histories of the witnesses and came across the testimonies you quote above. I think sometimes the passage of time can make it too easy to dismiss events we find inconvenient. Events that don't match up with currently held views of how the world works. Eye witness accounts and testimonies, particularly such forceful ones, enable these people to speak to us 'from the dust', and remind us that they were there and they know what they saw and no ammount of 21st century rationalising can change that.

Drew