What is Holding Me Back From Converting

Jason_J

Hi all,

Well it's been about a year now since I first seriously considered converting to the LDS Church from the Catholic Church. Throughout this year, I've had times where I was SO sure that I would be contacting the missionaries, and SO sure that the LDS faith really was the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, as well as times where I would be drawn back to Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy (since the Orthodox Church resolves some of the issues I have with Catholicism).

So here is where I stand right now: I find much Biblical and historical support for the LDS beliefs in pre-mortal existence, continuing revelation, open canon, the simple Godhead, having apostles and prophets, baptism for the dead, the LDS interpretation of the Fall (as well as the simple fact of how could Adam and Eve be fruitful and multiply when they didn't know that they were nude), the belief that spirit is still matter, fasting (and not just abstaining from certain things). I also love the community, the emphasis on scripture and doctrinal study for ALL ages. I am also intrigued by the various supports for the Book of Mormon being what it claims to be, as well as historical evidences for LDS beliefs.

On the other hand, I still am somewhat troubled by plural marriage, not the concept itself, but understanding it in relation to the New Testament, such as verses that say that a bishop or deacon should be the husband of one wife (in 1 Timothy somewhere), etc. Also Brigham Young and Adam/God, which if I remember correctly he spoke on at a General Conference. I'm trying to understand this in the context of "the prophet will never lead us astray". Also, the Catholic belief in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist is somewhat of an issue. While I don't necessarily firmly believe that this happens, I can understand how the Bible can be interpreted to support such a belief, and I find it interesting in parallel to the Old Testament temple, where God was present in the temple in a special way, in comparison to the Catholic belief that God is present in Catholic churches in a special way as well. Perhaps LDS have a similar belief as far as their own temples?

So, right now I'm reading the Book of Mormon (I'm in 2 Nephi) and praying about it. I've filled out the Missionary Request form on mormon.org, but haven't submitted it yet :D. While there's much I love about the LDS Church, and much that makes sense, the above are still troubling me, and I guess are keeping me back from actually meeting with missionaries.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Right now it sort of sounds like your only issue is with plural marriage.

This is only an opinion but keep in mind the concept of an unwed woman in society was pretty much unthinkable. Women went to college in hope of finding a suitable husband someday. That was even a belief until like the mid-1900s. The fact that there were at times and over-population of women and many women couldn't own property without a husband or make ends meet by themselves may have had something to do with it, whether or not it does I'm not sure of.

The fact is that it was abolished in 1890 and the ones that still do it today use being Mormon as an excuse to sleep around with multiple women, even though they don't have a record of membership with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I've been a Catholic and now I'm a Mormon, and they are nothing alike.

Yeah, watch Titanic. Pay attention to the scene where she says the purpose of a University is to find a suitable husband.

In the 19th century, almost all colleges or universities were exclusively for men. Women's colleges were created to offer women a place for a higher education since they were not admitted to the already established universities. In the 20th century, some universities didn't start becoming coeducational until the sixties.

M.