who's above the Stake President?

Guest saintish

Guest saintish

This issue came up on another one of my threads and its caused my curiosity to peak. If you had an issue with a stake president that couldn't be resolved between the two of you or you knew about something the SP had done that should be reported who would you go to? I know appeals of disciplinary counsels go directly to the 1st Pres. but are there intermediaries for other issues or does everything go straight to the 1st. Pres.?

There are area presidencies, made up of 70s, both General and Area Authorities. I'm thinking it would have to be a very major issue to go beyond the stake president with an issue or a question. If you feel a need to do it, talk first with the stake president and share with him your feelings on why it is necessary.

Saintish, as one that has had far worse happen to me than you described in your other thread, and had to get past it myself, I say to you: get over it already, or you yourself will destroy every last bit of testimony you have. At this point, your SP is not the one harming you. You are.

This is an interesting question. I never thought about the hierrchy of the church before, But would really be interested in what each level is and what they are responsible for.. So it would start out with Bishop/Branch President, then Stake President, then Area President? What do Area Presidents cover? I have heard of a Mission President, would he be equivalent to an Area President?

As a side question. I come from Scotland in the UK and wondered who would be the highest authority in Scotland? What his name is if possible and what his title was?

Edited by Lost_one

I think the structure is:

First Presidency -> Quorum of the Twelve -> Area Authority Seventies -> Stake Presidencies -> Bishoprics/Branch Presidencies

Now you have Missions and Districts which are kind of outliers to that general flow:

Stake and District

Most geographic areas where the Church is organized are divided into stakes. There are usually five to twelve wards and branches in a stake, which is presided over by a stake president. Stakes report to and receive direction from the Area Presidency.

A district is a division of a mission. When there is a sufficient number of branches located in an area that permits easy communication and convenient travel to district meetings, a district is organized. A district presidency is called to preside over it. The district president reports to the mission presidency. A district can develop into a stake.

Mission

A mission is a unit of the Church that normally covers an area much larger than that covered by a stake. The First Presidency of the Church determines a mission’s boundaries and calls a mission president to preside over it. When stakes fall within mission boundaries, they are under the direction of the stake president rather than the mission president. Missions are directly accountable to the General Authorities of the Church.

From The Latter-day Saint Woman: Basic Manual for Women, Part B Lesson 12: Church Organization

First, I don't belive in tattling unless there is real reason.

That being said, if something the SP has done that absolutly needs to be "taken care of" they need to meet with their bishop.

This is a very general example and has nothing to do with other posts:

Should a SP commit a serious sin, he wouldm like anyone else, report to his bishop as the bishop is still his bishop and has the authority to assist in the repentance process, same goes for area leaders and such.

Now, again, I don't think tattling is a good idea, however if a person has a real reason for tattling on someone, that person's bishop is the best person to speak with.

i.e. If I knew about a serious sin that my SP did, like hurt or molest a child, I would speak with the bishop of the SP.

Again, this is what I was told, and if anyone wants to correct me, it would teach me the correct way and the person who started the thread.

Guest saintish

Saintish, as one that has had far worse happen to me than you described in your other thread, and had to get past it myself, I say to you: get over it already, or you yourself will destroy every last bit of testimony you have. At this point, your SP is not the one harming you. You are.

why are you assuming that this has anything to do with my other threads? well I guess the question arises from that, but to be quite honest i was simply curious how something like that works.