Traveling With Kids

MBASS

Do not fly Southwest. You are too crammed in like sardines. I would suggest first class, but I know that can be a huge financial expense. I would suggest flying something like Frontier or America West since they are inexpensive and use mostly Air Buses which are roomy planes with comfortable seating. I would also suggest flying a red eye. The kids are accustomed to being tired at night...well, maybe the 5 month old is not sleeping through the night. The trip in the airport may bother them, but once on board, they may sleep through the flight. Another advantage to a red eye is that they tend to have more available seats. Might be good to have room to let a little one sprawl out and have the luxury of changing a diaper on the seats as opposed to the head. Very cramped facilities in airplane washrooms.

We are about to fly to Utah in a few weeks! Any advice for flying with a 5 month old and nineteen momth old? We decided we are already out of our minds for attempting this!!!The total flight time is approx 6 hrs

no way for america west...horrible experience....midwest express is way roomy on all seats....also, don't forget mylacon drops.....flying can cause bad gas problems with infants....learned from experience....emergency room when 18 month daughter wouldnt stop crying for 4 hrs.....

Guest funkyfool

ahh you'll survive...i was shoved in the backseat of a van with my 4 brothers and my parents for a 13 hour drive each way to atlanta and back...i think you'll survive with your 2 kids...good luck...just make sure you have a lot of food and some toys and blankets handy. I also suggest that you bring along some nyquil or a few tranquilizer darts...hehe. Sleeping pills also work wonders on young kids...just let them dissolve in their juice and it really does help.

Make sure you have something for them to chew on during take off and descent. The change in air pressure can be quite painful for the tympanic membrane of the inner ear. Try to keep them awake prior to the trip so they will sleep onboard. Also, when your plane is boarding do beware if they say parents with young kids can go first. Many airports routinly check the first person to step past the boarding station. When my wife and I hade our youngest two with us (the ages of your's) we were stopped and I had to do a thorough security check while my wife was then left with the kids and having to board alone.

I pray Bin Ladin does not know how idiotic our security procedures in the USA really are. Our government should send airport security people to Venezuela where they know how to check and secure airplanes. Oh I forgot, for some reason we aren't supposed to like Venezuela right now. Well then how about China -- they seem to do it pretty good too? :dontknow:

Thanks for the advice! We are flying united airline from columbia, sc to slc, ut we leave columbia at 530 pm and get to utah at 1015 pm. Should be interesting! June 5th is the day cause we got super cheap tickets! Pray for us all!

Thanks for the advice! We are flying united airline from columbia, sc to slc, ut we leave columbia at 530 pm and get to utah at 1015 pm. Should be interesting! June 5th is the day cause we got super cheap tickets! Pray for us all!

i dont recommend posting such specific info online...what if a stalker or house burgler reads it? just because this is an LDS site, doesn't make it automatically safe?

btw...what's your credit card number and mothers maiden name? j/k

Guest Monica

Get a window seat, crayons, coloring books, request child and infant meals.

Us adults chew gum, but these babies are too small for that, so also make sure you have full bottles for both take off and landings so that as they swallow, the pressure in their ears is releaved.

Also make a big deal about the adventure you are going on. Kids understand and love surprizes. Show your 19 month old planes that fly over head, pictures of airplanes, airplane toys etc.