Was excited until now.

pooter1

Interesting - if all Catholic men did as encouraged within a generation the Catholic church would be in serious trouble and it very existance threatened.

The Traveler

Not quite... Because side by side to the Sacrament of Religious Order is the Sacrament of Matrimony. Men are encouraged to choose one or the other.

... but we're not the only religion that encourages missions...

maybe as a 2 year duty. I have friends who have up and moved their whole family to another country to serve as full time missionaries. I have tons of missionary kids as friends. (that's a common nickname in christian circles: MK (missionary kid) )

another woman I know, single, and felt called to go down to south america and serve God among the natives picking up the language and everything. she's been there for probably over 10 years still single and glad to serve God.

not to mention the stories of many who gave their lives during their mission. Jim Eliot is famous for that, his wife Elisabeth is an amazing woman with a great story. The men Jim went to mission to murdered him and his team, and then Elisabeth later on went to those same people and lived among them and shared the Gospel with them.

actually as someone coming from the outside and looking in I was surprised when I found that LDS only serves for 2 years and that's it, and then maybe later on after having a family.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I thought LDS has missionary families as well. :-)

(sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, I'll gladly take this to another post)

maybe as a 2 year duty. I have friends who have up and moved their whole family to another country to serve as full time missionaries. I have tons of missionary kids as friends. (that's a common nickname in christian circles: MK (missionary kid) )

another woman I know, single, and felt called to go down to south america and serve God among the natives picking up the language and everything. she's been there for probably over 10 years still single and glad to serve God.

not to mention the stories of many who gave their lives during their mission. Jim Eliot is famous for that, his wife Elisabeth is an amazing woman with a great story. The men Jim went to mission to murdered him and his team, and then Elisabeth later on went to those same people and lived among them and shared the Gospel with them.

actually as someone coming from the outside and looking in I was surprised when I found that LDS only serves for 2 years and that's it, and then maybe later on after having a family.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I thought LDS has missionary families as well. :-)

(sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, I'll gladly take this to another post)[/quote

A Mission President serves with his wife and children.

Edited by classylady

Some folks have stronger personality than others- don't worry if yours is not as strong as other people around you. I'm a pretty quiet person myself- don't show much excitement usually, but I've been lucky that when I get the chance to talk to people about the church they always seem genuinely interested and share in my excitement which I show in my own way.

If they don't understand, and it's really getting you down, then maybe let them know that you'd rather not talk about it with them anymore. You could try to get them to understand why you're excited about it, but you can't force them to understand. But I'd probably tell them that you'd rather not hear them being negative about it. We know it will be a very positive experience and most important, it's what Father in Heaven wants your son to do.