Marriage and Children

Yes there are members of the Church who are married to non-members. And yes there are members of the Church who choose not to have children. I'm sensing an implied, 'That would mean it's okay for me to do so.' The correctness of an action or choice isn't really determined by, 'There are some members of the Church who do this.'

If you're seeking feedback on the acceptability of choosing to not have children or to marry a non-member you are best off seeking that feedback directly.

Edited by Dravin

People might marry non-members for a respectful and loving relationship. I don't think the Church is against that persay.

Children is a choice between a couple and God.

But I don't think the Church is going out of its way to encourage non-member and/or no-children marriages.

I'm married to a non member.

BUT, we have 10 children... so I can't help you on that note.

As far as the marriage to a non member goes, I couldn't ask for a better husband, he's just amazing. I do find it a bit depressing though, that our marriage will end when one of us dies. I really do wish it could go on for all eternity.

I'm married to a non member.

BUT, we have 10 children... so I can't help you on that note.

As far as the marriage to a non member goes, I couldn't ask for a better husband, he's just amazing. I do find it a bit depressing though, that our marriage will end when one of us dies. I really do wish it could go on for all eternity.

Unless he dies first, then you have his work done in the temple and be sealed to him...or your kids can have the work done after you both pass...or it can be done in the millennium. It's one of the great things about the Atonement, the ability to make it so.

But it is easier to do it right the first time, saves everyone a lot of work and worry. However, being sealed doesn't guarantee the marriage is eternal, it simply sets the foundation. The husband and wife must be willing to want and work at having a celestial marriage to make it that...once the sealing is done the real work begins.

Edited by RescueMom
added more

Unless he dies first, then you have his work done in the temple and be sealed to him...or your kids can have the work done after you both pass...or it can be done in the millennium. It's one of the great things about the Atonement, the ability to make it so.

All predicated upon his acceptance of said work in the next life. There is debate about the likelihood of such (in the general sense, I doubt anyone is debating about the hypothetical acceptance of temple work by her husband in the next life), but it's not automatic, he will retain his agency.

Edited by Dravin

Hi All:

Are members of the church that are married to non members? And are there members of the church choose not to have children? I don't want any children and I am dating a non member. Thanks!

I don't fit those categories. But I will suggest not having kids unless you want to. No need to seek consensus on that.

Outside of getting direct revelation from the Lord regarding your questions, I can't think of anyone better to answer your questions than the Prophets.

I've asked myself a similar question regarding member/nonmember dating/marriage and then wondered what guidance and council the scriptures and prophets have given on the subjects.

While the following links are not a comprehensive list of all the guidance and council we've been given, I've gathered the following talks and quotes for you.

The Importance of Celestial Marriage - President Spencer W. Kimball, October 1979 Ensign

Eternal Marriage Student Manual - Specifically the sections on Mate Selection, Birth Control, and Women's Divine Roles and Responsibilities

Wouldn't it be alright to date nonmembers?

D&C 11:5 Therefore, if you will ask of me you shall receive; if you will knock it shall be opened unto you.

I pray that you'll read these links and find the answers you're seeking for =).