Guess Who?

Behunin

Guest Starsky

Any thoughts as to what or who the "two" are?

God and His people.

After reading the whole scripture, it is about relationships, cause and effects. The people were not obedient or living according to God...and He is saying, you are the only people who have known me, or IOW had my laws and been given my words, but you aren't living according to them...so I will punish according to your knowledge...but before I punish you...I will send out the warning through my prophets.

Originally posted by Peace@Jan 17 2004, 01:05 AM

Any thoughts as to what or who the "two" are?

God and His people.

After reading the whole scripture, it is about relationships, cause and effects. The people were not obedient or living according to God...and He is saying, you are the only people who have known me, or IOW had my laws and been given my words, but you aren't living according to them...so I will punish according to your knowledge...but before I punish you...I will send out the warning through my prophets.

I agree, especially about the relationships.

I think there is also another way of looking at it. The "two" may also be the two Abinadi was talking about: "Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise." Mosiah 12:27.

Any thoughts?

Guest curvette

I agree with Peace. There's no doubt that the "two" are God and Israel. Amos was a humble "minor" prophet from Judah and God sent him to the powerful kingdom of Israel to prophesy destruction for their apostacy and worldly lifestyles. (they didn't listen cause they thought they were doing all the right things...) It would sort of be akin to a poor, Mexican LDS farmer coming to Salt Lake City, standing outside of temple square and yelling to the saints to repent or God will destroy us, and then turning out that he was right.

Originally posted by curvette@Jan 18 2004, 05:30 AM

I agree with Peace. There's no doubt that the "two" are God and Israel. Amos was a humble "minor" prophet from Judah and God sent him to the powerful kingdom of Israel to prophesy destruction for their apostacy and worldly lifestyles. (they didn't listen cause they thought they were doing all the right things...) It would sort of be akin to a poor, Mexican LDS farmer coming to Salt Lake City, standing outside of temple square and yelling to the saints to repent or God will destroy us, and then turning out that he was right.

I didn't disagree, I agree with you and Peace. I believe there are different levels of teaching in the scriptures as well as the Endowment. The Savior taught with parables which have different levels of meaning depending on the reader.

You mention Israel. Consider how many verses of scripture use both Jacob and Israel together: "For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel..." Isaiah 14:1. There are hundreds of such verses using both. Israel is the new name given to Jacob, so why refer to both in the same verse?

The historical part of the Word does have deep spiritual meaning apart from the literal, historical meaning. This is show in the Word: "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants..." Galatians 4:22-24.