Different Traditions of Family

mdmridha

I am from India and here the tradition or custom of families are not like westerns . Because here sons are allowed to live in their parent's house as long as they want . On the other hand sons are not allowed to live in parent's house after being adult in the west . I don't know it's right or not but want to know . I also want to know are there in world have traditions which is different from these two ?

Edited by estradling75

I am from India and here the tradition or custom of families are not like westerns . Because here sons are allowed to live in their parent's house as long as they want . On the other hand sons are not allowed to live in parent's house after being adult in the west . I don't know it's right or not but want to know . I also want to know are there in world have traditions which is different from these two ?

Adult sons are, of course, allowed to live in their parents house in the West as well. It's just that usually, they don't need to anymore - either they go out to live in a dorm at the college campus, or they find themselves jobs and move out. You usually only stay with your parents if you can't afford to move out. So, if you're an adult and you're still living with mom and dad and you're not in college and your parents are not sick... people tend to wonder what's wrong with you.

Traditions? I say - Americans don't drive crazy like people from India. They actually follow lane markers and traffic lights in America. :D

Guest DeborahC

I ran away to the Caribbean when I was 17, and I guess my children got my independent streak.

My sons couldn't WAIT to be out on their own! I reared all three alone and home-schooled them so they were finished with high school by age 16. Actually I locked out son number 1 because he would not get a job or attend university. He joined the military and came back a wonderful man! Son number 2 moved out at 16 and son number 3 got his own place at 17. They are all three now in their late 30's and early 40's. All have good jobs, make great money, have beautiful families and are successful. I would not be comfortable with my sons staying with me once they were grown unless they worked and paid into the household.

• 1 month later...

As was mentioned, adult children sometimes do live at home.

Often, they prefer to be on their own; and if they continue to live at home, often there is a reason.

Some live at home if they are attending college in their hometown, or if they are saving for college or a mission. There could be other reasons as well.

Usually, if parents want their adult children out of the nest, it may be that they want them to be more independent. There are some who would stay home, not attend college, and not work or contribute to financial expenses or share in the work.

In recent years, with the bad economy, more children have had to move back home if they graduated from college with debt from student loans, but were unable to find a job in their field.

Edited by bythelake