The Ultimate Test Of Faith And Dedication.

LionHeart

On the fourth of September, 1839, Brigham Young left his home at Montrose, Iowa to start upon his mission to England. He was so sick that he was unable to go to the river, a distance of thirty rods, without assistance. After he had crossed the river, he rode behind Israel Barlow on his horse to my house, where he continued sick until the eighteenth. He left his sick wife with a baby only ten days old, and all of his other children were sick and unable to wait upon one another. Not one of them was able to go to the well for a pail of water, and they were without a single change of clothes, for the mob in Missouri had taken nearly all they had.

On the seventeenth, sister Mary Ann Young got a boy to carry her up in his wagon to my house, that she might nurse and comfort Brother Brigham to the hour of starting.

On the eighteenth, Charles Hubbard sent a boy with a wagon and span of horses to my house to start us on our journey. Our trunks were put into the wagon by some of the brethren who had come to bid us farewell.

I went to my bed and shook hands with my wife, who was then shaking with the ague, and had two of the four children lying sick by her side. I embraced her and my children, and bade them farewell. The only child well was little Heber Parley, and it was with difficulty that he could carry a couple of quarts of water at a time, to assist in quenching their thirst.

With some difficulty, we got into the wagon and started down the hill about ten rods. It seemed to me as though my very inmost parts would melt within me at the thought of leaving my family in such a condition, as it were almost in the arms of death. I felt as though I could scarcely endure it. I said to the teamster, “Hold up!” then turning to Brother Brigham, I added “This is pretty tough, but let’s rise and give them a cheer.” We arose, and swinging our hats three times over our heads, we cried: “Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah, for Israel!”

My wife, hearing the noise, arose from her bed and came to the door to see what was up. She had a smile on her face. She and Sister Young cried out to us: “Good bye; God bless you!” We returned the compliment, and we were pleased to see that they were so cheerful. We then told the driver to go ahead.

After this, I felt a spirit of joy and gratitude at having the satisfaction of seeing my wife standing on her feet, instead of leaving her in bed, knowing well that I should not see her again for two or three years.

I just thought I might share this story here on account that I found it to be rather inspiring.

L.H.

That quote brought tears to my eyes. my husband is Nate and he is in the Army. I think all the time about what if he has to go to Iraq. I feel selfish and want him to stay. He only has a year left, but he could get stopped losted and still have to go. So i think to myself why should he have to go over there. Here is how a lot of the LDS wives of Military feel. That over in Iraq they haven't had the chance to receive the gospel and if our husbands can share with one person the gospel then its worth it. Just a thought from an Army wife.

On the fourth of September, 1839, Brigham Young left his home at Montrose, Iowa to start upon his mission to England. He was so sick that he was unable to go to the river, a distance of thirty rods, without assistance. After he had crossed the river, he rode behind Israel Barlow on his horse to my house, where he continued sick until the eighteenth. He left his sick wife with a baby only ten days old, and all of his other children were sick and unable to wait upon one another. Not one of them was able to go to the well for a pail of water, and they were without a single change of clothes, for the mob in Missouri had taken nearly all they had.

On the seventeenth, sister Mary Ann Young got a boy to carry her up in his wagon to my house, that she might nurse and comfort Brother Brigham to the hour of starting.

On the eighteenth, Charles Hubbard sent a boy with a wagon and span of horses to my house to start us on our journey. Our trunks were put into the wagon by some of the brethren who had come to bid us farewell.

I went to my bed and shook hands with my wife, who was then shaking with the ague, and had two of the four children lying sick by her side. I embraced her and my children, and bade them farewell. The only child well was little Heber Parley, and it was with difficulty that he could carry a couple of quarts of water at a time, to assist in quenching their thirst.

With some difficulty, we got into the wagon and started down the hill about ten rods. It seemed to me as though my very inmost parts would melt within me at the thought of leaving my family in such a condition, as it were almost in the arms of death. I felt as though I could scarcely endure it. I said to the teamster, “Hold up!” then turning to Brother Brigham, I added “This is pretty tough, but let’s rise and give them a cheer.” We arose, and swinging our hats three times over our heads, we cried: “Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah, for Israel!”

My wife, hearing the noise, arose from her bed and came to the door to see what was up. She had a smile on her face. She and Sister Young cried out to us: “Good bye; God bless you!” We returned the compliment, and we were pleased to see that they were so cheerful. We then told the driver to go ahead.

After this, I felt a spirit of joy and gratitude at having the satisfaction of seeing my wife standing on her feet, instead of leaving her in bed, knowing well that I should not see her again for two or three years.

I just thought I might share this story here on account that I found it to be rather inspiring.

L.H.