Question about being sealed

utahman27

Hi everyone.

I have a question about my wife and I getting sealed. We have a bit of unique situation and so I'll preface my question with our background. We're both 21 and were married a little over two years ago. I've been a member my whole life, but my wife was baptized about a year before we were married. After being baptized, my wife and I discussed marrying in the temple, but decided not to because none of her family is LDS and she wasn't sure how they'd react to that. So we did a civil marriage with the intentions of being sealed at a later time. We were aware at the time that we'd have to wait a year after the wedding to be sealed and we were perfectly okay with that.

After being married, we regularly attended church, but did not have a good experience with our ward. With my wife being a convert, she was not comfortable speaking or even praying in front of people. Basically, she was there to take in the experience and learn more about the church. The ward was very pushy with her and it ended up really turning both of us off, to the point where were ready to move out of our apartments and in to a new ward. We finally moved to a new place, but then an opportunity came for me at my work that basically would require me to work every Sunday. Because it was a great opportunity, I took the job and have since not been to church. It has now been over a year and we even move one more time and in to a new ward.

My wife and I still have the desire to be sealed and finally got in contact with our bishop last night to set up a meeting to discuss the steps of getting sealed. Now, obviously we'll have to wait and see how the meeting goes, but I was wondering if anybody would have some useful information for my questions in the mean time. From my understanding, in order to get a temple recommend a couple needs to be full tithe payers. That's not an issue for us, but me regularly attending church is. I may be able to attend once a month, but that may be pushing it. It's also been hard for my wife to go since she's a convert and isnt' all that comfortable going to a new ward by herself, but she says she's willing to if it means us getting our recommends. My question is whether or not that's going to cause a problem. Does anybody have any insight in to that?

My wife and I are good people and we want to be sealed, but I'm just nervous as to how the bishop is going to react once he fully understands our situation.

Only your Bishop can answer your question about attendance and your job.

It sounds like a lot of road blocks were placed in your way to prevent you from staying active and getting to the temple. Its easy to let other people and other things get in the way of the spiritual things we want. It can happen to the best of us. I hope you'll both be able to get to the temple soon.

Best wishes!

I agree with what apples says Youve had a lot of road blocks. You will need to work thru those road blocks together as a couple and let the bishop help you. It will all work out...but going to the temple is more then being sealed to each other. Its taken out more covenants with the Lord r u both ready for that??? Things to think about!