Stray Mind

vinny15

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bishop once gave me the following metaphor relating to bad or stray thoughts

'it doesn't matter if a pigeon lands on your head, what matters is how long it stays, what it does whilst its there'

I find when I have doubts I think of that and it makes me smile - tends to help keen Satan away

Charley

As one of Gods Children we're going to be the prime target for Satan, thats a fact, I know exactly how you feel, Ive been in the Church for all my life (18 years) but I wasnt allowed to get baptised till I was 18 and when it came to deciding to get baptised Satan was throwing everything at me, luckily I made the right decision and got baptised but it didnt stop Satan getting to me, thats never going to stop but reading the scriptures, any books with the church related to it is good, wholesome music- its cliched but oh well, it does help. Ive cut out all films that are above 15's, staying close to members who will help you, bring you closer to the church and always keeping Heavenly Father in mind, focuses you on Him and not the world.

A bishop once gave me the following metaphor relating to bad or stray thoughts

'it doesn't matter if a pigeon lands on your head, what matters is how long it stays, what it does whilst its there'

I find when I have doubts I think of that and it makes me smile - tends to help keen Satan away

Charley

That is an awesome quote and great advice!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

What he said ... STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!! I am now at about 2-3 hours a day. I make this forum part of my study. I listen to gospel music, and think, write, pray, and read. And when I am really out of wack! LOL - I get myself humble by going down the D.I. or the Bishops Storehouse and doing some volunteer work. Thats some of the best "bring you back into the lord" kind of work there is.

Holy!!!!! 2-3 hrs/day. You must be a super mormon. :wow:

Nope, not super at all, I just have a past that I dont want creeping into my life ever again!

Yeah, I understand that. NEVER AGAIN!!!

That is an incredible amount of time! So would you consider listening to church music in the car part of your 2-3 hours?

And AMEN to NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I need help. I believe in the church, but lately satan has been trying to send me every bad thought about it and God that he can think of. Has anyone had this problem. I try to ignore it, but its harder than it seems. Please help me.

Yes I have been on and off and dealing with the church and I am going to say this because I learned it the hard way DON'T STOP GOING TO CHURCH, DON'T STOP PRAYING, AND DON'T STOP READING YOUR SCRIPTURES. If anything pray more and read more ask Heavenly Father to help you through. I never did any of that and it got me in to a very hard situation. And I still can not forgive my self for some of them, Life is hard you are going to fall and satin will tempt you. But remember Heavenly Father loves you unconditionally and he is stronger so talk to him. And don't lose your faith like I did its a dark and lonely road back.

Well it's wierd. It's a completely randomized thought. Im thinking of going to the movies later and than immediately some dark thought says in my head something like the church isnt true. It isnt a good feeling so I know its satan, but its very anoying.

Guest Yediyd

Well it's wierd. It's a completely randomized thought. Im thinking of going to the movies later and than immediately some dark thought says in my head something like the church isnt true. It isnt a good feeling so I know its satan, but its very anoying.

You know what, Vinny...that has happened to me too. I get these strange thoughts of "What if my family is right? Maybe I left the Baptist church because of sour grapes, and I'M the one who is wrong?" Thoughts like that are easily erased when I start reading the BoM. I know that the Holy Spirit has testified to me of the truth of it...this is my weapon against the lies of Satan.

And that is what those thoughts are...the lies of Satan.

Vinny,

It is interesting that you ascribe those thoughts to Satan. I truly believe you are right, BTW.

I noticed that when I entered the temple my mind was sooo "quieted" it was unreal. I still have my agency, and in fact forced myself to think of something bad, because it isn't always Satan putting those thoughts in our head. But notice that I said "forced". The outside noise went away and I was able to think uplifting thoughts. So to answer Musashi, I think that Satan plays an active part in putting thoughts in our heads and then seeing if that will cause us to slip.

When I was YMP in our ward, I told the boys about those things, and that if they look closely at me, they may see me sometimes shake my head like a dog. That was my unconscious action that I developed. I was "shaking" a bad thought from my mind. I told them just because I was old as dirt didn't mean that Satan had given up on me, but that I had learned to overcome his crap...

Keep reading the scriptures, going to your meetings, etc., all the basic seminary answer stuff. It gets easier to control your mind with time and with practice. It will happen...

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

how does satan send the bad thoughts to your head?

ESP. :ph34r:

I wish I could have gone to seminary. :(

Go sit in with the Young Men or Young Women's classes. You didn't miss much.

I've been told that I'm not allowed to do that.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

how does satan send the bad thoughts to your head?

ESP. :ph34r:

I wish I could have gone to seminary. :(

Go sit in with the Young Men or Young Women's classes. You didn't miss much.

I've been told that I'm not allowed to do that.

I know I am odd but I am glad I didn't grow up LDS - I have so much admiration for people like my husband who find their testimony early and stick with it. Whilst I found my testimony early I always knew it was my choice, and I wasn't in it because of my parents - I do worry a lot about how to make sure I don't force my children to be LDS and how to help them make it their choice

Charley

Guest Yediyd

My daughter starts seminary in the fall....Getting up at 5am, ughh!! I would like to sit in with her...but was told that I couldn't. What's the big secret, anyway?

My daughter starts seminary in the fall....Getting up at 5am, ughh!! I would like to sit in with her...but was told that I couldn't. What's the big secret, anyway?

they are going to give her brain surgery where by she will smilingly eat chairs, sacrfice babies and only ever wear a purple hat on her head:)

Charley

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

they are going to give her brain surgery where by she will smilingly eat chairs, sacrfice babies and only ever wear a purple hat on her head:)

Charley

Soooo you're saying I should worry? :huh:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Charley

no not at all its all done with a lot of white smiles and in a very friendly manner she won't feel a thing lol:) Seriously as much as I loved seminary it was a lot of fun I think Institute was much better for me helped me more with my faith and understanding of why I was LDS. Do they have a grown up Institute meeting? some wards in the UK have people who get together

Charley

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Charley

no not at all its all done with a lot of white smiles and in a very friendly manner she won't feel a thing lol:) Seriously as much as I loved seminary it was a lot of fun I think Institute was much better for me helped me more with my faith and understanding of why I was LDS. Do they have a grown up Institute meeting? some wards in the UK have people who get together

Charley

We did for a while and I went faithfully every week, but...alas...not enough people were interested and they stopped the classes...I was bummed!!!

Vinny,

It is interesting that you ascribe those thoughts to Satan. I truly believe you are right, BTW.

I noticed that when I entered the temple my mind was sooo "quieted" it was unreal. I still have my agency, and in fact forced myself to think of something bad, because it isn't always Satan putting those thoughts in our head. But notice that I said "forced". The outside noise went away and I was able to think uplifting thoughts. So to answer Musashi, I think that Satan plays an active part in putting thoughts in our heads and then seeing if that will cause us to slip.

When I was YMP in our ward, I told the boys about those things, and that if they look closely at me, they may see me sometimes shake my head like a dog. That was my unconscious action that I developed. I was "shaking" a bad thought from my mind. I told them just because I was old as dirt didn't mean that Satan had given up on me, but that I had learned to overcome his crap...

Keep reading the scriptures, going to your meetings, etc., all the basic seminary answer stuff. It gets easier to control your mind with time and with practice. It will happen...

Thanks. I have the head shaking thing happen to. Its odd. True my mind in the temple had no bad thoughts in it. I wish I could always be in the temple. I will definatley neveer stop reading my scriptures and going to church. I have a testimony and Satan knows it.

I was reading a book on ephraim and it says that ephraim will be challenged and tested only when there faith is strong. When they are doing things casually than satan merely tempts them. Its actually quite interesting.

Guest Yediyd

Thanks. I have the head shaking thing happen to. Its odd. True my mind in the temple had no bad thoughts in it. I wish I could always be in the temple. I will definatley neveer stop reading my scriptures and going to church. I have a testimony and Satan knows it.

I was reading a book on ephraim and it says that ephraim will be challenged and tested only when there faith is strong. When they are doing things casually than satan merely tempts them. Its actually quite interesting.

Check out Acts chapter 19:11-16 ...

These vagabond Jews tried to cast out demons, and the demons said," Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?" The demons don't waist their time with "so-so" christians, they attack the ones that are a threat to them! If you are being attacked...the devils know you and feel that you are a threat...They knew Jesus and Paul, you are in good company!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

Check out Acts chapter 19:11-16 ...

These vagabond Jews tried to cast out demons, and the demons said," Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?" The demons don't waist their time with "so-so" christians, they attack the ones that are a threat to them! If you are being attacked...the devils know you and feel that you are a threat...They knew Jesus and Paul, you are in good company!!!

Reminds me of the legend of the man who saw the city with the small devil and it was all that was required to keep that city evil -whereas the best man in the world had 7 huge devils that couldn't detract him from his path - its often quoted in church things but I am sure its originally a Buddhist Legend.

Charley