Might Make You Cry

Jason

Guest Yediyd

My son is autistic...I can not imagine giving him up. I have already had professionals suggest that I put him in a "group home" I cannot, he is my son, he belongs here with us. G-d chose me to be his mother, nobody else loves him like I do.

This story makes me ANGRY!!!! :angry2:

During the mid 70's through the 80's, the institutions become so overcrowded and unable to take care of those who had been living there for years, that they simply released the ones termed as "slow", "deaf", etc.

The institutions did not "place" these people. They simply walked them to the gate. Some were in street dress and some were in pajamas. Some had shoes and some did not. None of them had communication skills and they begin wondering the streets.

We learned about this situation in our city from a deli owner who gave sandwiches to the homeless behind his store in the evenings. Needless to say these people did not have any form of identification. They were housed in half way houses and YMCA's until they could be evaluated and found permanent homes.

The institution would finally give a press release that 800 people had been released but only about 200 of those people had been located. The litigation regarding this act would be an occasional update in the newspaper. Many changes have come about since that time which was not so long ago.